2004 YZF-R6 or 2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

2004 YZF-R6 or 2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R?

I'm sure you've all seen a billion posts like this one, but I'm stumped. I don't know which one to buy and I could use some opinions. Anyone ridden both? Which one should I get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja250F18
I haven't ridden either bike, but from the stats and the reviews that I have read all say the the Kawasaki is a better bike. But I think that the Kawasaki looks better to. I wish that I have ridden both of the bikes, but I can't wait to hear the input from somebody who has ridden them to see if the reviews are right.

Burn rubber not your soul, Ruff Riders for life.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to InsaneWheelie
Hey- I see you are in Colorado. Your best bet would be to hit the dealerships and sit on them. Figure out which one has the better ergos. What kind of bike have you had experience with in the past? If you are up for a drive, I would be more than happy to go bike shopping with you and give you a third party perspective. Let me know what happens.

'99 GSXR-600 R.I.P.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I've sat on both up here in Fort Collins and I'm having trouble deciding. I was all set on an 04 R6 until I walked into the Kawasaki dealership and the ZX6R just hypnotized me. Now I can't decide. My girlfriend's vote is for the ZX6R all the way. I'm kind of leaning that way too, but it's hard to tell how the bike rides by just sitting on them. No one will let you test ride an 04 with 0 miles, so I've got to make a decision..........

I used to have a 92 CBR 600 F2 a long long time ago. I had it for about a year. I got the riding bug again and sold my 500 horsepower mustang just to buy a bike.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 05:30 PM

Well its pretty easy, just tell them u arent gonna decide on what bike to buy until you test ride them.. Ive rode the 2003 636 and i think the controls are a lil outta wack for me but i would highly suggest you ride them first!

04' Gsxr 1k

Show or go?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
i don't quite get how those magazine reviews work.
example: if'm not mistaken, Cycle World rated the R6 as #1 last year, with the CBR right behind it. Kawi and GSX were 3rd and 4th. now, from what i know the 2004 CBR / R6 are virtually unchanged from last year. meanwhile the GSX and Kawi have been reenginered significantlly. this would leave me to believe that the R6 and CBR would hold the same places in respect to one another. yet some how the unchanged 2004 CBR beat out the unchanged 2004 R6. odd. i wonder why the CBR didn't do that last year if nothing is different?

in any event, take all those reviews with a grain of salt. your not going to be riding at the same level most of those people do. and all the 600's are so similar in perfomance to us mortals that alot of it really does just come down to personal preference and ergo's. one thing i can say though, the guy at my local shop ownes a 2003 Kawi 636. he says that it has *very* stiff suspension and handles a bit nervous in turns at times. he also said that 'if i knew what I know now back when i got this bike, i would have gotten something else". granted the 2004 is suposed to be reenginered....

and I just got my 2004 R6. it's uhm, well...really fun to ride

-chr|s

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 04:52 PM

check out this month cycle world. it has 4 jap's 600cc comparison.

i can't give u a summary b/c i only had chance to read the last paragraph. it says the cbr is the easiest to ride among them.

anyways, go to a store and read it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 12:09 PM

r6 vs 6r

I sat on both but just felt more comfortable on the R6. I think its great but then again have little to compare it to
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 10:59 PM

i rode the 04 suzuki GSX-R600, R6, and ZX-6R before making my purchase.

the Suzuki was nice, but the styling was just too far out of whack for me. I liked the inverted forks (reminded me of my GSX-R750) and the power of radially mounted brakes.

the R6 felt OLD after riding the Gixxer6. it was like riding a Yamaha of yore... everyone went through a significant redesign while Yamaha sat on their laurels and only worked on the R1. I will say the seat was nice and comfortable, and the clipons were in a nice, comfortable sport touring position. I just didn't feel like I was getting enough for the money.

the Kawasaki stunned me with it's good looks... something Kawi's have lacked since the mid-90's 7R's and 7RR's. I had never owned a Kawi before, much less ridden one til that day. The bike was nimble on its toes like the Gixxer6. The front end was solid, duplicating the features of the Gixxer6. the suspension was a bit rough, as the back end tends to bounce over the bumps despite my 175lb frame. the bike was as light or lighter than the others, making it feel very responsive.

eventually, i had it down to the Gixxer6 or the ZX-6R... i went with the Kawi due to styling preference. I wanted a solid color and I wasn't a fan of the new stacked headlamps on the Suzi. after a few adjustments to the suspension, the ZX-6R feels every bit as controlled as the Suzi did, but also does it for a few hundred less than I could get for the Suzi.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 04:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to marvlover
YAMAHA YAMAHA YAMAHA YAMAHA YAMAHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode