Need help deciding between 3 600cc bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Need help deciding between 3 600cc bikes

Hiyas, all. I just registerd with the forum and that being said I'm also a relatively new rider (with only a years experience on a Aprilia RS50 and 3 days worth on a 600cc R6) and I've decided to purchase a new, 2003/4, sports bike. I've saved up a lot of money over the previous years and in my area there are only three bikes that fit my spending limit.

The first, a ZX-6R from 2003, new, is selling for aprox. 7,150 dollars out the door. A almost certain purchase if not for the fact I'll be driving this as my primary vehicle. Thats right, folks, i'm not buying a car. From what I hear the ZX6R cramps your wrists and has a somewhat rigid suspension. Any owner care to debate?

The second is a YZF-600. I know, I know, its not fuel injected, its heavy, and somewhat ugly. But it's 6,400, out the door new, and since I'm not trying to race every day it seems like a good solid, overall purchase. The thing is..*shocker*...I weight 125 pounds. I'm 20 years old. I know, Light. (That being said, I've driven a r6 and have gotten a feel for the somewhat twitchy throttle) Ugh- anyways, the bike weighs a staggering 412 pounds, dry.

The third bike is a CBR 600 F4i, and its beautiful. Fits me like a glove...reliable, not as fast as the ZX6R (I certainly dont care) and nimble as hell, weighing in at 356 pounds dry. A almost perfect bike, imo, except for the fact it costs 8,200 new...and thats not including dealership fees. I'm already streching my spending limit with a ZX6R. I might add I can't find any used CBR 600's in a 75 mile radius past year 2001.

So, to conclude, I'm looking for input from you guys in general considering these factors: any suggestions,of course, are appreciated. And btw, for the love of god, don't reccommend me a GS500F or Ninja EX500. I hate those bikes with a passion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 08:04 PM

i drove my bros '03 ninja zx-6r. i was cramped, big time. i'm 6 feet tall, so drivin that thing made me feel like a monkey f ckin a football...the overall performance was awsome...just my 2 cents. hope it helps.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:17 PM

The ZX-6R is pretty cramped. Have nothing bad to say about the YZF, havent ridden one so I cant speak from experience. I currently own a 2002 F4i...If you can in any way afford it, buy it. Its confidence inspiring, perky, not too sporty to be uncomfortable, smooth...I'm 6' and its not cramped. For sportbikes being used as daily riders I would classify it as the gold standard, espcially with the new for '04 seat.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 05:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to FMAN_DTF Send a message via Yahoo to FMAN_DTF
why are you comparing a zx6r to a yzf-600...totally different bikes

get the ninja 500

ps: i had a zx-6RR '03

zx-6r is a race bike, if you want something you can ride all the time that is comfortable get the yzf, the zx6r only hurts your wrists if you don't know how to ride...

"Slapping time...she comes." -Dana Carvey
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 06:05 PM

I love my 600R...especially for the price!!

Very comfortable...I'm 6' tall...

2003 YZF600R - Silver / Black
2004 Shadow Sabre - Purple (wife's)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 07:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wheelie123
3 very different bikes, bro. The crucial key for you to say was that this is going to be your primary mode of transportation. If that's the case, then you have to think about the rideability of these bikes EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR. My money would be on the Yam or the Honda. The Yam is a great bike, but way more forgiving for a new rider compared to the other 2.

The Honda would be my first choice just because I like it so much. I have a fast liter-bike and got smoked on a track by an F4i. I grew to respect that bike greatly and the more that I learned about it, the more I liked. If I were to get a bike now, that would be the bike that I would get. Yeah, the liter bikes are great, but that F4i is very 'flickable' (corners) and very polished in it's overall package. The only thing I don't like about it is the seat and it's like sitting on concrete to me......TO ME, F4i riders. If I were you I would switch out the seat to a Corbin or Sargent seat, as it's going to be your daily transportation.

Just my .

I think you should start off with something smaller and less powerful for a first bike, but that's just me.

"Tattoo on the lower back. Might as well be a bullseye." - Wedding Crashers
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 09:59 PM

CONCRETE??? CONCRETE?!???!! WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? THE SEAT FELLS NOTHING LIKE CONCRETE!!! How hard do you think it would be to replace the seat with concrete? Getting tired of that hard ass seat on my F4i.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 11:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to wheelie123
Quote:
Originally posted by vigis
CONCRETE??? CONCRETE?!???!! WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? THE SEAT FELLS NOTHING LIKE CONCRETE!!! How hard do you think it would be to replace the seat with concrete? Getting tired of that hard ass seat on my F4i.
That's why I qualified that comment with TO ME.

The seat 'fells' nothing like concrete? Que?

Replacing the seat with concrete? Huh?

"Tattoo on the lower back. Might as well be a bullseye." - Wedding Crashers
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 07:27 PM

Wink

Alot of people will tell you to go for a 500 or some other starter bike. But if you are going to keep the bike for awile with improving skills you will get bored with the 500. The F4i is a really fine choice, plenty fast, with some decent ergo's to boot. Can't go wrong.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 PM

uhmmm is the GSX-R too good for you or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode