Yam FZ1 is it a sportbike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Harlon
Yam FZ1 is it a sportbike?

Hey,

Im another newbie that just got his license through the MSF course. Im not new to motorcycles but havent battled the street in over 15 years. Im considering buying a new FZ1 thats a 2002 model. From what Ive read there needs to be a few mods made to the bike just for ergo reasons and maybe a performance mod here or there. Other than that Ive heard nothing but good reviews.
Anyway......sorry for the long intro. Another question I have is what should I pay for this left over? Its already a year old and they want $9057 out the door! Im not done dealing yet, still studying my options.
I live near Daytona so bikes around here can be ridden most all year. Maybe thats a reason for the high retail?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 06:32 AM

Check out http://pub29.ezboard.com/bfz1ownersassociation

It's a great site for the bike and should answer a lot of questions for you.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 07:17 AM

Damn Brock, I looked that site over just cause Ive got nothing else to do. From reading all those post the FZ sounds like a real POS! So many problems.... Can it really be that bad? Or are they all just a bunch of noobs?

Volunteer SBW Content Provider
Walter Mittyish Sportbike Commuter
Christian Family Man

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 07:26 AM

I don't know where you got the impression of it being a POS? Yamahas are just as reliable of a bike as a Honda or Kawasaki. It's not like it's a Ducati or a Harley.
I'm guessing it has its fair share of problems like any other bike but I think that's all you're looking at. Go compare a website for like the CBR's and you'll see they have just as many gripes and complaints. You're just seeing isolated incidents all at once. That's just my opinion though. I've always thought that Japanese bikes were reliable and of good quality.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 07:33 AM

That makes sense. Just seemed like a whole array of problems including brakes that lock up suddenly in the problems reported section. Im a Honda rider so Im a bit spoiled.

Christian Family Man
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 07:35 AM

You also might want to look at whether or not that was a model year specific problem and if it's something they've addressed in the newer ones.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 07:39 AM

I sure hope so. Locking brakes = Mess in pants

Christian Family Man
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Brock,

Thanks for the link man! As with every bike there are going to be some things you are going to have to change to fit your style of riding. Im pretty much planning to upgrade the seat on the FZ1 and maybe a new can to smooth it out some. Nothing youre going to get in the way of a production bike is going to be perfect. Im a 40 year old dude here and cant see myself riding an R1 with its wicked self. The FZ is right up my alley

Ride safe!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 11:23 AM

Hey, I'm 23 and I can't imagine myself on an R1...hahaha
The FZ1 is actually towards the top of the list of bikes I'm considering to get next. Hunched over crotch rockets are cool and all but I want something versatile. Fast, yet comfortable enough to ride on long trips. And stylish looking without too many plastic parts. I'm excited because a lot of the manufacturers are bringing back the naked/standard bikes. Most of them have a bike in this cool/comfortable/fast category.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-14-2003, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I almost made a deal on a used 03 tonight but just couldnt make myself do it. Its silver and in awesome shape but the out the door price was still $8500. I guess down here in Florida bikes have a high retail simply because you can ride them 11 months out of the year. Actually you could ride one year round if youre a hard ass.
I was surprised to find that my State Farm agent will insure it for $280 a year with $500 deductable for comp and collision.
Im still looking and might just opt for the Yamaha credit card deal on a new 03.
Good luck Brock, let me know what you do man!

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode