R1 vs. 998 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

R1 vs. 998

First post on the board. Looking for a new bike figured I'd ask other's opinions.

I had '02 R1 - and loved the bike except for the lack of stability, notchy gearbox, and stiff clutch. I got a bad tankslapper while accelerating on bumpy road and totalled the bike (had the damper on my kitchen table - just didn't quite get around to putting it on).

Now I'm trying to decide what to get next - either another silver R1 or a 998 biposto. Never ridden a duc before, but from sitting on one it seems comparable w/ R1, maybe a bit more agressive riding position. R1 was cofortable for me (5'10 ~125). I think the duc will be too.

I also heard that Ducati suppose to redesign 998 for '03 - anyone can confirm/deny this?

Any input is appreciated. Also as far as prices go, I'm pretty sure I can get R1 for about $9,600 and the 998 for $15,500 out of the door pre-tax, maybe a little better.

Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 02:46 PM
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Robert
The two bikes are (IMHO) totally different bikes.

Both are great bikes but, if you want a daily rider get the R1, if you only plan on taking Sunday rides on the weekends get the 998

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder
(Who needs sleep?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 10:10 AM

Robert is again correct I think. The R1 is more suited towards a everyday ride. The Duc is more of a weekend warrior. On the flip side the Duc is IMHO. The R1 "look" is getting a little too popular for me. If I had the money and the choice I would get the Duc everytime and twice on Sunday. FYI Ducati is redesigning the 998. The new model will be the 999. There are some pics on www.motorcyclenews.com. The bike is modeled after thier GP bike. i.e. say ggodbye to the single sided swingarm I heard the headlight set-up is still in question, but the bike as a whole is pretty much ready for production.

South Central Race Center
Dunlop, Bridgestone & VP Fuel
www.scracecenter.com

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:06 AM

Cool DUKE OR YAMMIE

THIS IS A TOUGHY, I HAVE OWNED BOTH BIKES, .... ,I RIDE MY DUKE JUST AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THAN MY R-1, SO REAL WORLD DOESN'T APPLY.(MEANING WHEN I RIDE MY DUCK, WHAT WORLD AM I IN? HYPATHETICAL WORLD,NO REAL WORLD) THE 1ST THING I DID TO MY R-1 WAS PUT ON GRAVES REARSETS AND REVERSED THE SHFIT PATTERN, THEY ALSO MOVED MY FEET UP AND BACK 1". SO, THE R-1 HAS A MORE COMFORTABLE RIDE.(STOCK) THE DUCK COOKS MY ASS FROM THE UNDER SEAT PIPES AND IN SLOW SPEED TRAFFIC IT CAN BE PRETTY HARSH. THE SERVICE INTERVALS ARE OFTEN AND COSTLY. THE DUCK DOESN'T HAVE THE INLINE HIT THAT THE R-1 DOES,BUT THE DUKE HAS LOADS OF TORQUE AND DELIVERS PERFECTLY, AND THE R-1 DOESN'T COME CLOSE TO HANDLEING LIKE THE DUCK. EVERYONE HAS AN R-1(WHICH IS WHY I SOLD MINE) HARDLY ANYONE HAS A DUCK IN MY GROUP. THERE IS 1 AND ONLY1 RULE TO REMEMBER YOU EITHER LOVE OR HATE V-TWINS-PERIOD. THESE BIKES ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND THEY BOTH HAVE PROS AND CONS i.e.- the duck costs more(comes w/more) AND THERE IS ALOT OF MAINTENENCE, IF YOU HAVEN'T OWNED A V-TWIN BEFORE ,AND YOU WERE HAPPY W/ YOUR R-1 GO W/ THE R-1(GOOD BIKE) BUT GET A DAMPNER ON IT-LOL IF YOU HAVE OWNED A V-TWIN BEFORE...ITS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT, HOPE A HELPED

DUH!-GOOO!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode