Are bikes getting taller?! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Are bikes getting taller?!

Ok, I'm a rather short fellow (5'6") with even shorter legs, but I'm pretty muscular so I can keep control of my bike (93 F2) at any stop sign with only the balls of my feet on the ground. I bought the bike used, so I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure the rideheight is stock, I've sat on my friends 91 F2 and it seems the same, I can reach the ground ok on another friend's 92 FZR, and yet another friend's 97 GSXR750 (although I have to stretch a tad more with that one).

This weekend I was at the bike shop/showroom helping one of the forementioned friends drop off his FZR and decided to give a few of the new bikes a test sit. First up, an R1... I felt like a little kid, my feet swinging wildly above the ground while I sat with the kickstand up, I could bring it up off the kickstand with my left leg but it left my right foot hanging about 6 inches off the ground. I figure, "this must be a 1 liter bike thing, I guess I'm forever destined to ride 600s" so I mosey over to a pretty new telephonica scheme GSXR600... same thing, I could at least touch the ground with my tippy toes on this one, but no were comfortably enough to hold it up, again I had to have one foot on the ground and one dangled over the side. I sat on an RC51 and an R6, all with the same result.

I've always known I've been short, but it's never stopped me from doing anything I want to do before, but it looks like owning a new bike may be it.

so what is the deal anyway? I would imagine even average height guys would feel uncomfortable holding these bikes up at a light, why are new bikes so tall?

93 CBR600F2
02 Impreza WRX
93 MR2 Turbo
88 MR2 Supercharged

4 vehicles, 6.2 liters, 800 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Resident Smartass

The seat heights may have grown an inch at most in the last 10 years. More likely, the suspensions have become much stiffer to keep things in line with 100+ HP on tap. Also, your 7 year old springs may be a tad sacked out!

Suck mean people!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 04:57 PM

I hear ya , my friend. I am only 5'4...but pretty muscular. It is ironic that the lightest bike in the 600 class ..the Suzuki GSXR 600..also has the highest seat height. It only figures that is the bike I want the most!
I have heard that there are lowering " dogbones" that can be used to lower the ride height. ( they are used in dragbikes) .
One thing I noticed when I was looking at the Suzuki this afternoon, is that there is a lot of padding in the saddle. I am sure that you could shave an inch or two by having the foam shaved out by someone like Corbin.

Something to consider.

I don't want to ride OLD bikes forever!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 05:31 PM

i feel your pain...

Im 5'7 or 5'8 but i have short legs. I just got a kawasaki 1200 which has lower seat height then the 600's! 31.1 inches. Most 600's are like 31.9 or 32. Aftermarket seats can lower it like couple tenths of an inch at least, plus there is suspension changes. When my lady friend comes with me i can be flat footed at stop lights.

correct me if im wrong, but the reason they sit higher is so when you are cornering the pegs dont scrape,.. more room to lean?

If I passed you on the right, your in the wrong lane.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 06:47 PM

Only 5'8" but lucky me have long legs (34" inseam)

Jennifer
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 11:19 AM

I can't ride anything. I'm 5'2 with a 30 inch inseam on a good day. I'm on my toes with a 94 zx6e.

It makes sense in my head
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 01:17 PM

Thank god I'm 6'3''
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sybex
I can't ride anything. I'm 5'2 with a 30 inch inseam on a good day. I'm on my toes with a 94 zx6e.
sat on a 600rr lately???

Jason
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phd12volt
sat on a 600rr lately???
Actually I learned to manage so well since then I got the new 6r and lowered the seat.

It makes sense in my head
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 02:27 PM

so i have both bikes sitting next to each other---and the 600rr doesnt seem much higher---but sitting on the zx-7 seems more comfy(did i really just say that??? ) anyway---im planning on a trip this weekend on the 600rr, about 300 miles each way, god im not looking forward to it---i have to do something about this seat ----im trying to remember my 91 zx-6---actually i have a few pics of it here--and my legs are slightly bent, just like on my zx-7--------sitting on the 600rr and my legs are completely straight----im 5' 11" with a 34" inseam ohhhhh by the way---grab a step ladder if you plan on putting on a passenger

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode