2002 Zzr Vs 2002 Xx - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Question 2002 Zzr Vs 2002 Xx

Any input into these two bikes would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to get another look at both bikes this weekend. I was wondering which one is more comfortable to ride for long periods of time, smoothest shifting, smooth acceleration etc..... I previously owned a 1994 CBR 600 F2. I just found that I don't want another buzy 600 or a tourquey 750/900 racing rocket. I might even consider the VFR.

It's only money, I can make more....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:34 PM

The ZZR leans slightly towards the touring market as opposed to the CBR1100xx. The ZZR is also slightly faster.....really not a big deal. The Blackbird was Honda's flagship model and is finished accordingly. It has incrediably smooth acceleration and turns effortlessly. Also, it's fuel injected.
The Blackbird is also one of the most reliable bikes out there..... totally bulletproof.

It's a tough call, I know because I was looking real hard at the ZZR. What turned me onto a 'Bird was the availablity of a great deal. I got a '00 w/ 5800km for less than 10,000 and no GST. There are even some new 2000s out there for a steal, the prices will only get better since next year's 'Bird gets redo.

As for the VFR, why?? Simular price to the 1100, with no advantages. I'd only consider the VFR if I rode solo and light. The Blackbird has a longer wheelbase so it's heavier steering in the city, but 1100cc crushes the viffer on the Highway or stoplights.

With the money I saved I bought a Corbin saddle and Givi hard bags. I'll be blasting through the Island later this summer ... watch out.

The older I get,
The better I was.

Last edited by oldgixer; 05-30-2002 at 09:38 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 06:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to ZZ-R1200
As you might can figure from the user name, I am biased toward the ZZ-R1200. I looked at both the Z and the X, as well as others, but went with the Z because of riding position, performance and, basically, I preferred the styling over the others.

I haven't regretted my decision...

I generally concur with oldgixer on the 'Bird...smooth, reliable, capable...and prices on them, with many opportunities for excellent deals, are pretty good.

You won't go wrong with either...HOWEVER...

I called Muzzy's Performance yesterday checking on the expected availability date for slip-on's for the ZZ-R and ended up in an 30 minute conversation about their future offerings for it. Within 60 days the slip-on's will be available and by the end of the year they will have cams, pistons, and big-bore kits available...just in case what comes out of the box isn't quite enough performance for Ya!

Harleys are for posers...I prefer to RIDE!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 06:21 AM

XX

Check out the current issue of cycle world, it has a shoot out of the big bore bikes, talk pretty good about the Honda, but it seems as usual all bikes in that class are pretty good, so you will still have to make the big decision yourself, but it seems like you cant go wrong, what a great decision to " have " to make.

good luck Joe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

If there were two things you could change about either bike what would they be ?, Or what are the two worst things about either bike ?. What two things do you like most about either bike ?. The decision is a close one I know and it will probaly come down to the best deal and what that one person might say good or bad about either bike that will help me choose.

Last edited by Island Boy; 05-31-2002 at 12:19 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:35 PM

got to choose

If it were me I would go to the dealer, and check out each bike closely, do not let salesman pressure you, just check them both out real closely.

Next talk to people, and if you can, ride them. Talking to the owners is not the best thing as most of us are reluctant to say yeah my new bike sucks, but you might get some info anyway, just filter it yourself.

good luck Joe
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZZ-R1200
Quote:
Originally posted by Island Boy
If there were two things you could change about either bike what would they be ?, Or what are the two worst things about either bike ?. What two things do you like most about either bike ?. The decision is a close one I know and it will probaly come down to the best deal and what that one person might say good or bad about either bike that will help me choose.
On the Zeezer, I would rather buy everything I needed, every time I travel, than put those god-awful Givi 'factory' bags on it...

I know they are convenient, I know they are popular...but they sure do make it look like a water-buffalo from behind, and the racks left behind when they are off are the most attrocious I have ever seen. I know Kawasaki/Givi could do better...

Please angle the windshield up a touch higher...with a more pronounced 'double-bubble'...

That's it...

Harleys are for posers...I prefer to RIDE!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 06:30 PM

Very similar bikes, I got my XX before the ZZR was released but made the decision based on how much more maintenance is involved with a Kawi in regard to valve checks. Now that I have sat on a ZZ-R I have to say they are very similar bikes. ZZR has bragging rights on top speed but is checking your valves every 6,000 miles worth that?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

With this being the last year for the XX, before they give it an overhaul. What do you think they will do to in 2003. Cosmetically change it, tweek the motor. Bottom line major changes or minor changes.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 06:11 PM

Most likely more motor to get back up with the Busa and ZZR and a styling change to the current Honda angular look. If you are not a fan of the recent Honda styling jump on an '02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode