Got a new XX the other day. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Got a new XX the other day.

Hi Folks!

I'm brand new to this board. I traded my VTX in on an 1100XX! Boy was that the right decision! I just love this thing! The VTX was a great bike, but I've been in love with sport bikes for 30 years. Back then we used to call them "cafe racers." Anyway now I've given away my age. Who cares! I still dig going fast. At any rate I am sorta getting used to the XX. It shifts way different than the VTX, I can't seem to shift it as smooth as I like. Any suggestions? I seem to sorta jerk it in between the gears. Now I've been riding for over 30 years and I'll be honest this thing is taking a little getting used to.

Boy this bike is torquey! I thought the VTX was the torque king but this bike pulls out of a 25 mph corner in 3rd gear without complaining at all.

I know this thing isn't as fast as the Haya's and the Ninja's but I still dig it. Us older types need a bike that's a little calmer! LOL! It's so cool to hear the gear whine and the wind. The VTX was noisy (installed the Vance & Hines Bigshots). I couldn't stand the Log Truck Stack that Honda had hung on the side of that scooter. So I changed it. I even installed a DynoJet PCIII. The bike didn't run as good as I thought it should have. It had a real ratty sound at part throttle (cruise settings) Even with the baffles in it was loud. I'll tell ya one thing thou it sure would Shred Harley's with no trouble. Enough on that .

Hope I can contribute something to this board. Glad I found it.

Silverbird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 12:00 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Welcome Silverbird, I just got mine back in April. I love this thing. I noticed my shifting not being as smooth when I first bought it. I moved up from a y2k F4, but now that I've been on it for a little bit I notice my shifting getting a lot smoother. I think its just a matter of getting used to it, as all bikes are different.

Anyway, welcome aboard and ride safe!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 07:36 PM

I have had mine a couple of months and I to have noticed the clunkie shifting. I was advised that as it breaks in it will become smoother. I love the heck out of mine also. I am out on it every chance I get. This is the first Sportbike I have had and it is proving to be alot of fun.

Twisted Minds
Twisted Roads

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 09:45 PM

Welcome Silverbird, I too have had mine out for only 6 weeks (1400 miles) and have had to really concentrate w/ shifting smoothly. I've been told that as the bike and myself break in it'll get much better. I just love how smooth the acceleration comes it's a real rush.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2002, 04:25 PM

Congrats, I think they're awsome bikes. I just wish they would come out with the black again, I know I would have one in my garage
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 06:49 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

I liked the black too, but out here in the Cali heat (110 today) a black bike gives you swanus (sweaty-anus) REALLY quick.

I waited for the silver and got mine...

By the way, I have really noticed here recently the shifting being a lot smoother...it just takes a little time to break it in.

Has anyone else noticed that the front end is just a touch loose? I posted this before, but I didn't really ask any other Blackbird owners. On my old F4 I could just let go of the bars and it would steer itself. On the XX though if I let go it starts to wiggle a little bit. Not a big deal as I am not in the habit of riding with no hands, it just doesn't feel as solid as my old bike. I'll just get a steering damper for it and problem solved!

Ride safe all!

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 07:03 AM

I let go sometimes as I am coming to a stop just to give my hands a break. I havent had the looseness yet but I do have a clicking noise coming from the front end as the wheel rotates. Dont know what that will lead to. My shifting still hasn't smoothed out, at 2500 miles. It is very annoying to shift across neutral into 2nd, always sounds like it is trying to grind. Black is sharp but to hot here in Fla. also.

Twisted Minds
Twisted Roads
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 07:24 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

I tightened up the rear suspension the other day and it seems to have helped a little bit. I noticed a clicking for a while too but only at low RPM's...it seems to have gone away since I checked my tire pressure and changed the suspension. I wish you could adjust the front suspension too though, thats the only downfall to the XX that I can see.

Mine has probably close to 8000 miles on it, and like I said, its really smooth through the gears. My old 600 did the same thing, but I think it smoothed out a little sooner.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 08:58 AM

Mine now has 11,000km (6500mi) and the shifting has smoothed out ALOT. My steering is absolutely solid, no wiggle at all.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2002, 08:35 PM

Welcome to the board. My shifter smoothed out after the first oil change but got even better after 4,000 miles. I'm at 8,000 miles now. No head shake at any speed. I did drop the front by about an inch to help quicken the steering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode