Tell me about Ducati - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Tell me about Ducati

Hi Everyone, I am new here and new to sportbikes. I currently ride a 2001 Harley Road King 95"/cams powercomander and so on and am keeping that bike. I am no where near the typical Harley rider and love all bikes!
Anyway, I put down a refundable deposit on a new Ducati 998. I have been searching for info about Ducati and some have said they are not reliable. What's the real truth?
I would consider other bikes like the Honda RC51, CBR954RR and Yamaha R1 but the bike has to be a 2 seater so let the opinions roll! My 95 lbs wife will ride on the back sometimes. I will use my sport bike for cruising around town, bike nights and the curvey roads behind my neighborhood. The Road King will be for all day riding and trips. I am 6'5" tall 250lbs. I actually fit on the Ducati 998 and my legs did not fit on the Aprilia Mille because of the gas tank cut outs for my legs.
I am going to the Honda and Yamaha dealer today to check out there bikes too.
Tell me everything!!!!
Thanks, Mike C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 01:23 PM

Ducati

There is absolutely nothing unreliable about Ducatis. You may not be able to trash and ignore them like a Honda, but I don't think you will find a Ducati frustrating at all, as a current Harley owner.

Ducati are well made bikes that demand to be ridden hard and well cared for. The thoroughbred anology is quite true. A 998 is a hell of a lot of motorcycle that is really designed for one purpose---Very Fast Very Curvy Roads. Not incredibly comfortable for a rider, much less a passenger. But you've got your cozy hog, so long as you understand the Duc is a purpose built machine. I miss my Ducait, but I love my new Aprilia, wish I could have kept them both. Good thing I'm shorter than you.

Go for it.

Agitate*Contemplate
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 01:28 PM

I eventually want to get a 748 S (black/grey with red rims...thanks Desmo), and I was a little worried about the maintenence $$...

but by the time I am ready for a Duc, I will factor in the cost of maintenence into my monthly "bike alotment" so the $$ for the maintenence doesn't sneak up on me.

Plus, who cares about maintnence $$....it's a Duc Get bummed, pay it; get it back, and SMILE

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score"?
-Vince Lombardi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.kcsportbike.com

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2002, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Hi Spoof, thanks for the reply! Yes, I understand the bike and want a exotic machine totally differant than my Road King Harley and that is faster than I will ever take it. I called my Ducati dealer and gave him a deposit on a red 998. I can't wait.
Mike C.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 07:17 AM

Thumbs up Ducatis are awesome!

I just bought a 2002 Ducati 998 after having a Triumph T595 and a 996. The newer Ducati's are just as reliable as anything else out there. In fact, if you compare the service intervals of the 998 to the RC-51 and the Aprillia, the Ducati beats them both. Plus if you buy your bike between now and the end of summer Ducati is offering free scheduled maintenance for two years. So I don't even have to pay for my scheduled maintenance...which is great. Parts on Aprillia's are a nightmare right now too (at least were I live they are)the wait time is horrible. And the RC-51 basically rides from gas station to gas station (a friend of mine has one) and my Duc gets around 56 MPG on the freeway. The parts on RC-51's really aren't all that cheaper either, it's tit for tat, some things on the Duc cost more, some things on the 51 cost more and for the most part, parts on the Aprillia beat them both. I hope you've ridden aggressive sport bikes before, because if you're going from a Harley straight to a 998, you're in for a shock. Although, people always bitch about how uncomfortable they are, I have less cramps and feel way less sore at the end of a ride than any other hyper-sport bike I've ridden. If you have long arms (6' 5" you probably do) you can probably sit pretty straight up, but if you get tired, proper race position is actually the most comfortable way to ride because the gas tank sits up pretty high and you can lean against it. I'll pre warn you too, the 998's run hot! very hot! They took away the side vents in the fairings and the only air outlet is two small grated vents at the top of the fairings right under your knees...great for winter. In stop and go traffic the temp gauge will scare the bejesus out of you. The temp gauge maxes out at 255 F. and the needle will climb to around 240 F before it settles. At first I thought something was wrong so I called my dealer and they had no clue (first one they sold). Thank god for forums! I found a guy on Ducati's forum that talked with the head of Ducati North America's service center and he told him that the 998's just run way hot in stop n go traffic and that because the cooling system is under around 14 psi of pressure that the actual over-heat point is somewhere around 300 F. and not to worry about it. So...if you get one...now you'll know and won't scare yourself like I did. These bikes corner great! All the rumors are true, they are confidence inspiring and feel planted to the ground, but you have to ride them text book proper and kind of aggressively to get the most out of them. They like to be ridden fast and they feel down right weird at slow speeds and in a slow city type environment. They come with a 190 size rear wheel, once that wears out replace it with a 180 and it will flick a lot easier at slow speeds and at fast, the only reason Ducati fits them with 190's is for looks. Aprillia was smarter in that regard, the Mille's come with 180's. Hope this helps. If any questions feel free to contact me here.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 08:05 AM

Smile

I wouldn't mind if you bought me a new duck 998
Must be nice to be able to afford a bike like that
Lets see the 750 Duck is 24k-25k here in Canada
The 998 is just under 30K

The Honda RC51 is faster and cheaper.
The Aprillia has some neat gadgets.
But the Duc is ba da bing Nuff sad

Buy the Duc and ride it like you stole it.

STUDENT AT WORK
I'm a nice guy, just ask me
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:47 AM

Cool DUKE

MIKEY, HERE IT IS STRAIGHT AT YOU- THE DUCATI WILL SLOWLY COOK YOUR ASS AND CROTCH AND LEGS, THEY ARE HARSH ON YOUR BODY IN SLOW TRAFFIC, THEY HAVE TO BE SERVICED ALOT, AND IT COSTS QUITE ABIT TO SERVICE THEM. THATS THE BAD NEWS....IT IS ALL COMPLETLY AND TOTALLY WORTH ALL OF THAT AND MORE!!!! I USED TO OWN A 1995 HARLEY SPRINGER SOFTAIL CUSTOM, AND AFTER GETTIN MY DUKE, THE HARLEY WAS SOLD AND I MADE MY OL' LADY BUY HER OWN BIKE, AND I BOUGHT TONS OF GOODIES FOR MY DUKE. YOU WON'T BE SORRY , GET A DUKE
LATER DAGO
P.S. GO TO SPORTBIKE .COM THEY HAVE THE BEST ARTICLE I HAVE EVER READ ABOUT DUCATIS

DUH!-GOOO!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 04:35 AM

I had a mate who had an MHR900. Rues the day he got rid of it.

Sure it cost him a bomb in maintenance, but he bought if for 9grand and about 6 years later when he traded it he got 9grand for it. Ducs really do hold their value well.

The SP1/RC51 cost 20grand new here and 2 year old examples only fetch 14-15thou, so it's all swings and roundabouts. Cheaper to run but depreciate like all get out.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Well, I got the 998 4 weeks ago. The heat really does not bother me to much but I feel it. It's a neat and fun bike. I am not used to having to search for exhaust though comming from the Harley world. Oh, I kept my Road King...love it... it is a better long distance cruiser of course.
Seems like the only available exhaust is from Ducati Performance since you have to replace the ECU Fuel Control Module. However the 1/2 system I want is on serious back order from Italy and Italy is a vacation for 1 month. My dealer said on a 1/2 system I would be lucky to see it by the end of the year because it has not been offically released. I might have to go with just slip on's.
Mike
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 10:04 AM

DAGO916: Good review with no bullshit.
Regarding the ducati: I had a softail custom with lots of mods on it and sold it and bought a 748 (2000).
Impression: Looks awesome. Maintenance sucks, you have to take it in for service every 6000 miles at a cost of around 450.00. Read some of the forums regarding ducati. Riding - It seems designed for the track - the seating position and clip ons - after a short period of time your back, wrists and neck will hurt. The only think I found to help that is squeezing the tank with my knees and relieving my wrists. Parts - way overpriced. A pair of slip ons will cost you over 600 and 800 if you want good ones.
I rode mine for about 4 months until I got 5900 miles and then traded it in on a 2000 R-1. I never ever regret the trade. The R1 is way, way faster. Parts are way, way cheaper, maintenance is a 1/4 to 1/2 the price (major tuneup every 24,000 miles). The ride is soooooo smoothe and it handles excellent. I can ride a lot faster and feel more confident on the R1 then I ever did on the Duc. The new R1 is about 12,000 out the door or less. The ducati is ?????? 18-20 thousand - is it worth it?
My friend had a 748 and I let him ride my R1 - He sold his ducati and bought an R1 within a month. I realize that the 748 does not match the 998 power but the 748 is running around 98hp and the 998 is at 124 or so. The R1 is at 150 at the crank and about 135-145 hp at the rear wheel. I have a friend that has a 954 and that too is a very nice bike. The inline bikes are just awesome. Now ducati is coming out with the 999, so your 998 or 996 will be worth less. I recommend that you test drive a 996, aprilia mille, R1 , 954 and a GSXR1000 and see which one you like the best.
Here is a photo of my R-1

Lock the doors, call the police, and bring in the swat team
Jims748duc has entered the room !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode