2002 Zx9r - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Question 2002 Zx9r

Alright fella's,
I'm new to this web page but very interested in what you all think.
I have been seriously looking at the new 2002 ZX9R. Does anybody own one or ridden one? Would your recomend another manufacturer? Just curious what you think about these new Kawasaki's. It is a beautiful bike and has the balls to go with the looks. Any opinions would be a big help......Later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 09:55 AM

Thumbs up

I have the 2001 and really like it, the 2002 is only better....

(moving to 2002 bikes)

"It's like Dancing sitting down. Squeeze-tap-release-twist. Left hand-right foot-left hand-right hand"
~James Patterson

Kyle J.-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to shannon
Quote:
Originally posted by HondaNut!

(moving to 2002 bikes)

In some ways anyway. I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

AFAM and K&N stickers added for more ponie power

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaNut!

DITTO..........

Suzuki GSXR 600cc track bike. Penske shock, Ohlins steering dampner, Lindemann forks, Sharkskinz body work, Full Yoshimura RS-3 Titainium / carbon fiber exaust system, Yosh digital tach with built in temp gauge, Yosh clip-ons, WRM rearsets to name a few. Motor was built and tuned by G-force racing engines.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 04:35 PM

Re: 2002 Zx9r

Quote:
Originally posted by J-in Germany
Just curious what you think about these new Kawasaki's. Any opinions would be a big help......
Don't happen to get Motorcyclist Magazine over there, do ya? If so, check out the June '02 issue-they have an open class shootout. 'Course, as with the 600's, the Kawasaki surprised, kicked some butt in areas it wasn't supposed to, and was right there in other categories. As usual, although the test read like it should have finished higher, once again they gave it 4th place! They did the same on the 600's, but after lookin' at 'em all, I thought the 6R was the best of the bunch. Based on what I know, and especially after reading the test (4th place finish aside), if I was going literbike, I'd get the 9R.

I laughed when I read the lap times around the Streets of Willow, as racer Andrew Trevitt could turn faster lap times on the 9R than the much vaunted R1, and was only .02 seconds slower per lap than the Honda! Heck, you'd think a big, heavy, outdated bike like the 9R would be out of its element on the tight Streets of Willow course! Wonder if it would do even better on the full course?

Lap Times at Streets of Willow
GSXR 1:29:13
CBR954 1:30:15
ZX-9R 1:30:17
R1 1:31:04

At the Strip
GSXR 9.89 @ 145.35
R1 10.07 @ 142.13
ZX-9R 10.16 @ 138.28
CBR654 10.20 @ 139

So...we have the 9R beating the R1 at the track, beating the Honda at the strip, usuable ergonomics, excellent stability, and a great everyday machine, yet it finishes 4th, and according to the magazine: "Yes, we know; maybe the Kawasaki doesn't belong in this class anymore." Go figure?
BTW, ya might find this quote about the 9R from the test interesting:
"A classic case of overachievement: giving everything you've got, rather than finishing high on potential, low on performance."
Fer some reason the magazines just can't find it within themselves to like the Kawasaki! Dunno 'bout you, but I ain't paying big bucks for 'potential': the sucker better be darn good off the showroom floor! Heck, iff'n you're going to have to spend some money, etc in order for the other bikes to reach their "potential", you can spend the same money on the 9R to make it even stronger (if that matters).
Oh yeah...forgot to mention that the 9R sells for $800 to $1100 less than the other 3 contestants, and Kawasaki USA is cuttin' deals on 'em to boot!

Hey, the mantra seems to be "the R1/R6 are for experienced riders" (to cover up for the bikes quirks?). OK, I'm gonna give 'em that, if they'll admit that the Kawasakis are for enlightened riders!

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to kvpZX9R
I have a 02 9 and absolutely love it. I plow a lot of miles so the comfort is a major bonus. The magazine articles are pretty dead on. Rider magazine(June 02 page 51) even went so far as to pick it as the best 900cc and over sportbike.

The thing I dislike about it the most are the cold morning startups. I ride all year round and back in Feb when I first got it, the bike did not like the cold mornings(20-30F)

When I was looking to buy it was between the 9 and R1. The main reason why I picked the 9 - the looks, followed by comfort. I think the 9 in orange is the best looking sportbike sent to the States.

Trust me, the bike goes like hell and if you get one, you will be very happy with it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 09:17 PM

I was just down at one of the local shops today to look at the 9r. Man I loved it. I'm a big guy and when I sat on the bike it seemed to fit. I've been thinking about what to get for my next bike and so far this one is a front runner. Oh yeah, my wife was with me and said she thought I looked better on the 1500 Vulcan! Sniff.. I guess she dosen't really love me!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Talking ZX9R

Yeah, I really like the color too! Really caught my eye. I did read that it had 'potential' and that's what kind of turned me away a little. Like you said, it better have potential for the money and technology. I sat on it at the dealer the other day and can't wait to take it on a little scoot around. It fits well and for me, 160lbs and 5'11", no problems and the long arms keep me comfortable. Not too much of a lean over the tank, but the stock 'can' sounds pretty mean. Maybe a muzzy or Yoshi would help it out a little.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 08:22 PM

Yeah, when 2 hundreds (.02) seconds is the last out of 4 bikes in a performance test, you have to wonder if its really that close. I could have bought ANY of these bikes and I looked at ALL of them , the Zuki was too raked over for me, as was the R1. The Honduh fit rather nice, but it was also the most expensive, I didn't like the color as much.

I got my 9R for $9300 OTD (not a misprint), so I'm not complaining to anyone. It fits well, feels nice, comes with the tail cowl and rear seat, 5 gal tank...and you don't see too many (I haven't seen any here in Houston, yet.

2003 Hayabusa ~~ bLiNg, bLiNg!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 06:55 AM

Hey Don,

Not a bad price....did you get that bike in Pasadena...??

I got my 2001 last July there for $8550.00 OTD....

Suzuki GSXR 600cc track bike. Penske shock, Ohlins steering dampner, Lindemann forks, Sharkskinz body work, Full Yoshimura RS-3 Titainium / carbon fiber exaust system, Yosh digital tach with built in temp gauge, Yosh clip-ons, WRM rearsets to name a few. Motor was built and tuned by G-force racing engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode