Sportbike World banner

Sprint RS vs. Falco vs. ????

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  dtlaine 
#1 ·
So I'm thinking of going to a larger bike with a couple more ponies. I currently ride a Monster 750 and I still enjoy it, but I am wringing it out. Not only that, my lady just hates to ride on the back of it, and I love to do long distance travel.

I'm a bit of a masochist and doing 3,000 miles on the unfaired ducati 750 doesn't bother me, but maybe as I'm getting on in years now (32 hehe) I ought to take advantage of some of that technology. So, what bike? I am most interested in the Triumph Sprint RS and the Aprilia Falco. The Falco seems like a damned fantastic bike with only slightly less dealer support than the Triumph in the states. The Sprint seems more comfy, especially as far as two up riding goes. If I get the Sprint, it will be a 2002, the Falco could be a 2001, as no significant changes were made. The bike I get will have to be a twin or a triple, as I just don't get along with 4's and my vanity will not allow a honda/yamaha/suzuki/kawasaki, etc. Basically Aprilia, Triumph, and Ducati are my options.

Any thoughts?:confused:

#2 ·
Well I've owned about 40 plus bikes and ridden about everything I could beg a ride on since 1968 and I had a 2000 Sprint ST. After a few weeks to get used to it I was riding and asked myself if this was the best bike I'd ever ridden. This "best bike" question is not about stats or value for $ but what feels good. Somewhat undefinable, but my answer to my own question was "yes". It seems to have a certain Aston-Martin quality to it, a true GT. It handles, it's motor is very real world, comfortable, the then current girlfriend was very picky and she loved riding on it. That was no small feat. I also had a 900 Monster at the time (along with a few other bikes) and in an attempt to simplify life and because my Triumph dealer was 150+ miles away and because I was often running the ST at its sweet spot of around 105-110 mph I sold the ST and the Monster to by a Yamaha FZ-1, thinking it would combine much of the two bikes in one. Well not the worst idea I ever had, but when I sit on or look at a ST I feel a true sense of longing and regret. For long distance I think you should look at the ST over the RS. More and excellent wind protection and slightly higher bars. Howz' zat?

#4 ·
Well I understand what you're saying. I was after all a youthful punk-ass once (or twice) myself. Still wheelie the piss out of my FZ-1. Anyway, when I was on my way to the dealer when I bought the ST I was 98% sure I was going to get an orange RS myself. But after riding them both I decided on the ST largely because I already had other sporty bikes at home and wanted something abit more refined/comfortable as an alternative ride at times. So yeah, the RS is an equally fine ride. My main point in my first reply is that the RS/ST are really fine road bikes. I've only ridden the Futura Aprilla and it didn't hit my "on" button but that's all I know of riding Aprilla. But it's pretty hard to buy a bad bike these days and besides, ya ride whatever awhile and then get something else anyway. Sorta like women. (here it comes) But do remember, friends don't let friends ride Hondas'.

#5 ·
Aprilia Falco or Triumph Sprint

Spoof,

I highly recommend the Falco. The twin is a V-60 (nicely counterbalanced, so don't worry about vibration), so the bike is a nice compact package for a 1000cc motorcycle. It feels light and nimble and the engine is excellent. But, you need to de-restrict (clip a wire), add cans and a chip to bring out the beast in it. Aprilias are very reliable. This bike has a lot of character. :D :D

Haven't ridden the Triumph, but I think it's a bit bigger, not quite as refined. But on the plus side, the Triumph dealer network is bigger, parts should be a bit cheaper

I recommend test riding 'em both and see what you think. Good luck.

#7 ·
spoof said:
Does Aprilia Generally offer test rides? Just curious, I know Triumph does, meaning that the factory encourages it.
Yes, the Aprilia dealers are quite liberal in allowing test rides. All three dealers around here have demo Falcos. It so happened that the one where I road tested the bike was a Honda dealer. I rode the Falco for an hour up in the twisties and a couple of acceleration runs on the freeway. When I got back, the guy said, "Come back and ride it again tomorrow if you want." :D

#8 ·
After riding CBR600's for a while, my buddy and I traded the F4i for the Falco for about 15 mi. I must say that I was extremely impressed w/ the Falco. It seems to have the plusses of a sportbike w/ extra comfort. It had plenty of power. I wasn't as confident in corners, but I'm sure that was more due to the inexperience on the bike, and not the bike itself. I've never ridden a Triumph, so I can't compare. My neighbor just bought a Ducati ST2, and he loves it. He is coming from a SV650. I'm not sure this will help, but I just wanted to say that both bikes have made their owners smile, and the Falco made me happy, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.