2002 Yamaha R6 Vs. 2002 Gixxer 750 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 2lude4u
Lightbulb 2002 Yamaha R6 Vs. 2002 Gixxer 750

I'm thinking of either getting a R6 or a Gix 750 for this summer.

I'm pretty sure they are out of the same category but alot of people say that the Gixxer is a good all around bike, not saying that the yamaha's aren't but people prefer the Gixxer's more.

BTW i'm 5'11 240 Big boy I heard from somepeople and their riding experiences that the R6 feels cramped.

BTW i've never ridden the R6 or the 750

Please help me or are there any other bikes i should look into maybe the F4i or 929 from honda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 10:43 AM

Question Question??

How many years and miles of street experience do you have????

"I'm not crazy, I simply have the heart of a child and the faith of a saint..."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 10:44 AM

The R6 is little (short wheelbase), but I wouldn't say cramped. I'm 6'0" and I don't feel "cramped". Seating position is a little racy and some say uncomfortable after awhile, but I have long arms and don't have to lean too far over to reach the bars, so I'm pretty comfy on it. The Suzuki is faster, by a small margin, seating position is 10 times more uncomfortable, and your insurance will be more on it. However you'd benefit from the added torque being that your're about 80 pounds heavier than me. Us little guys don't need that added torque. I would have to say to avoid the 954 or the R1 or any of the open classers. You'll learn to ride better on the smaller displacement bikes. Then in a couple years if you feel like you want something bigger go for it. You'll thank yourself because you won't learn to correct poor riding with your throttle hand which will consequently make you a faster better rider when you move up to the open classers. Go to a dealer and sit on all the bikes for like 10 minutes, that'll help you find one that fits you.

"When in doubt..gas it."

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I've gotten about 1 years ridding experience on a 95 gixxer 750 i want to buy a new one.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 06:07 AM

Wink

Cool.....

Look's like you started out big, but obviously you can handle it.
May want to look at a new GSXR-600. You can probably get one for $1100-$1800 less than the 750. And with 103 rwhp it's got plenty of getty up and go. Featherlight at 357 lbs. dry.

I've heard the F4i is much more comfy than the gixxers. But a 600 or 750 w/ an aftermarket seat should be OK. I'm 6'0 and I could ride mine all day if it weren't for that stock concrete seat!!

Best Wishes!

"I'm not crazy, I simply have the heart of a child and the faith of a saint..."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gsx-in the city
I've heard the F4i is much more comfy than the gixxers. But a 600 or 750 w/ an aftermarket seat should be OK. I'm 6'0 and I could ride mine all day if it weren't for that stock concrete seat!!

Best Wishes!
Actually, my friend and I coincidentally just bought the same two bikes your talking about. Me a 02gsxr750 and him a 02r6. We spent hours hopping from bike to bike to get the right feel for what fit us better. We both thought the f4i's seat was HARD and uncomfortable. I'm 5'11" 190lbs and the gsxr fits me like a DREAM! The R6 was a little less comfortable for me, but my friend who is roughly 5'8" 150lbs LOVES it! Suzuki's seat is wide and soft and I ride all day with no problems. The R6 is a GREAT bike, don't get me wrong... but going from a 750 to a 600 might disappoint you. If your into wheelies the R6 would be much harder to get up in second than the gsxr with your weight. I hope that I've been of some help.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 08:24 AM

CBR's have a hard ass seat!!! Don't be fooled. This is the one gripe that everyone continues to have against the Hondas. For all the refinement and reliability, Honda still gives the CBR that thin flat seat. No sense.

If you''ve already been riding a 750, I would recommend the new 750. More power across the board but it will offer a similar ride and ergonomic feel.

P

Quote:
Originally posted by gsx-in the city
Cool.....

Look's like you started out big, but obviously you can handle it.
May want to look at a new GSXR-600. You can probably get one for $1100-$1800 less than the 750. And with 103 rwhp it's got plenty of getty up and go. Featherlight at 357 lbs. dry.

Best Wishes!

The Gixxer, the last remaining tie to track days of lore.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 09:01 AM

R6

I just bought an '02 R6, I'am 6'3 200 and it fits fine, the angle for your wrists is alittle tight for me but I'am getting used to it. The bike is awesome. I had a 99 F4 and it was more comfortable to ride but the R6 has more balls for sure.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KillaRide

If your into wheelies the R6 would be much harder to get up in second than the gsxr with your weight.
What?!?!?!? I can bring it up in second no problem whatsoever even at highway speeds. I can bring it up about 2 feet in third (gonna take some more practice to get it all the way up). And i've heard of people who can bring it up in 4th. He doesn't need to worry about doing wheelies right now anyway.

"When in doubt..gas it."
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

i think i've decided to get a 2002 gixxer 750 in blue and white

I'm going to the dealers next week to work out some numbers.

I'll keep you guys posted though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode