Man, I just grabbed the 2002 Honda 919. It's a hooligan bike for sure, but I just wanted something different. But if I was to back track and go through the buying process again, dude, I would get a zx-12R or some other BIG DOG.
I mean think about it: Virtuously effortless acceleration, the ability to long distance sport tour without feeling much wind fatigue, instant recognition...Damn. These are definitly bikes you wont get bored of riding.
But if I broke it down by class, it would go a little something like this:
1) 600: YZF-R6 INSAAAAAAAAAANE for a 600
2) 750: GSX-R 750 (but if kawi would play a little catch-up and do some updating, I would be all over that)
3) 900: ZX-9R Aswesome looks
4) Open Liter Bikes: RC-51 Nice jap. twin w/ killer style
5) Big Dawgs: ZX-12R Light-weight 'Busa killer (in the turns)