2002 kawa zx12R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Talking 2002 kawa zx12R

Can anyone help me on there opinion of the new 12R.Most of the cycle mags say it will beat a Busa .....................ohhhhh I like to keep the wheels on the ground any ways tell us all something about this awesome bike please .........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 06:14 AM
Ian

It's very awesome bike. My friend just bought a Candy Apple Blue '02. I haven't ridden it yet and he doesn't have more than 80 miles on it as of yet. Dam snow. So I can't help with any details.

I hope you aren't considering one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12rfronta.jpg (172.8 KB, 202 views)

'01 R1
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 08:46 AM

Re: 2002 kawa zx12R

Quote:
Originally posted by aGas
.....Most of the cycle mags say it will beat a Busa ..............................

who cares????

Actually, most of the mags I've read say that the bike with the best rider is the one to beat, the two bikes are that close. I'd get the one that's most comfortable and forget the poser appeal of "my bike's faster that yours " . Sorta sounds like two little kids in the playground doesn't it?

The older I get,
The better I was.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Arrow

very true I'm not interested in what is faster..........but I do like the zx12r's looks and wondered how it felt to ride......the comfort and rideability is what counts.........specially in the twisties or just on a long haul..........thanks for your input

slow down .........below 1k
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 06:16 PM

Cool Both are pretty close

It would take a pretty long road to seperate the two. Unless Kawi has made new mods to the motor, the Busa is still a little faster top end. That really doesn't matter anyway. The 12 is a better handler.

I just traded my Busa for a GSXR. One thing the Busa has is power EVERYWHERE. The ZX-12 is a little on the peaky side.
Like another member mentioned, you would be racing riders not machines.

One thing though, you may want to look at a ZX-9, R1, 954RR, or GSXR-1000. Any of those bikes will walk a 12 through corners and will stay side by side with the 12 unless you're going across the Utah salt flats. But the 12 and the Hayabusa generally sacrifice some handling for all that power.

Good buying and good riding man!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 07:22 PM

Quote:
....the comfort and rideability is what counts.........specially in the twisties or just on a long haul..........thanks for your input
I'm always ready to add imput

I'd seriously consider looking at the "litre" bikes, the ZX9R is an excellent compromise between high performance and real life usability. I'd own one myself, except the pillion wasn't comfortable. (damn wife!!)

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 08:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Varmintmaster
Talking Great Bike

I have a 2000 I bought Nov. last year but I believe the major changes made for this years bike were mainly in the powerplant dept. like a heavier flywheel and a remapped FI. I have to say the first year bikes do have a tendancy to respond better above 3k RPM's but other than that I love it. My mods are on the moderate end like gutting the stock can, K&N's, 190 rear tire, ZG Double Bubble screen, and the usual blinker changes, grips, bar ends, spools, anodized parts. Stock gearing still as this is also a commuter so mileage is somewhat important but even on a bad day 42 mpg is still the average. I just hit 2,500 miles on my "Unrestricted model" and just love the feel of unlimited power anytime you want it whenever you want it. I would recommend changing the rear tire to a 190 to get a better turn in but other than that it follow your break in like following the bible and you will have more fun than one should have legally that is.....See ya

Red has got to be the fastest color since CHP keeps stopping me.

Last edited by Varmintmaster; 03-25-2002 at 08:35 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 08:49 PM

Re: Re: 2002 kawa zx12R

Quote:
Originally posted by oldgixer

who cares????

Actually, most of the mags I've read say that the bike with the best rider is the one to beat, the two bikes are that close. I'd get the one that's most comfortable and forget the poser appeal of "my bike's faster that yours " . Sorta sounds like two little kids in the playground doesn't it?
Yes, I believe it is called: "penis envy"

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 10:24 PM

Re: 2002 kawa zx12R

Quote:
Can anyone help me on there opinion of the new 12R.
Well, since you asked!
I must confess, I don't get the 12R. If you want bragging rights, well...
Iff'n it was me, I'd opt for the 9R/6R. If you're a flyweight (150lbs or less), the 6R looks even better (insurance/price difference steered me to the 6R over the 9R). Both are comfortable enough for all-day rides/trips, but still handle well. Personally, I think the 12R is starting to look a little porky (compared to the 9R).
'Course, this is assuming you're riding by yourself. If you're going to carry a passenger a lot (wife?), mebbe you ought to let them make the final decision? Iff'n I was carrying a passenger a lot, don't think I'd consider any of 'em?
Like I said...I just don't get it...

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

NAW ........I GET IT I THINK YA CAN'T SLING IT AROUND LIKE A 600 BUT IT HAS RAW POWER THAT NOT MANY BIKES HAVE AND IT'S COMFORTABLE ..............I GUESS HAVEN'T RODE IT YET BUT I'M NOT THINKING OF THE TRACK.ARKANSAS DOESN'T HAVE ALLOT OF COPS LOL............OHHHH NOT THAT I WOULD BREAK THE SPEED LIMIT EVEN ON MY LITTLE ZX6

slow down .........below 1k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode