New Bike Choices - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to old squid
Question New Bike Choices

Looking for a new bike (or good used one). I have an SV650S. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. Been riding for 8 months. Not that I think I've outgrown the SV, it's a great bike but I'm cramped on it.

Now moving to another city which will be an hour commute each way. So I'm looking for a bike with more legroom and better wind protection - the commute is mostly on the freeway (will keep it to a couple of days a week to keep from squaring off the back tire too badly). And no Goldwing, farting Harley or big BMW for me. Still want a sportbike and one that's also good on the twisties, also plan on doing track school this year. Hate to sell my SV but I think it's gotta be one bike only.....

So these are the four I have in mind - I have sat on 'em all (except the VFR) to try the ergonomics but not yet done any test rides. Yamaha YZF600R, Kawasaki ZX-6R, Honda VFR (the 2002 if any can be had) or the Aprilia Falco.

Any opinions or suggestions about these bikes or suggestions about others ?

Steve
----------
2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 12:23 PM

If you're interested in some more info 'bout the 6R, see the post below. You might be interested in the Two Unlikely Bedfellows article since it covers two or your possible choices:
Two Unlikely Bedfellows
Inline-four vs. V-four Sport Touring (2001 VFR 800 vs. 2001 ZX-6R)

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...threadid=14069

Also don't forget the Concours! Unknown, unappreciated, but still gets the job done!

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 02:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to minfinger
The 600R's are great bikes, but a tad under powered than what you're used to in my opinion. I would suggest the FZ1 for you though. I think they're are a much better looking bike than the 600R and the insurance isn't cheap. Plus there's more aftermarket stuff available for the FZ1. And it's a darn fun Sport Tourer.

I've had mine since Septemeber and I love it. You can throw it back and forth in the turns with the greatest of ease. www.myfz1.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 03:51 PM

I am planning to buy a 2002 R6 soon but i was wondering what the differences are between the 2001 and 2002. I haven't been reading the mags lately so i'm not up to date on all the info....Am i better off with a 2001? it would be a bit cheaper.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 03:54 PM

Sorry to stray from the topic, but some advice would be great.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to old squid
Cool

Good stuff, basicblur. Thanks a lot. Ya got me thinking seriously about the 6R..... At the risk of exposing my ignorance, gotta ask the question: what is the Concours ?

Steve
----------
2002 Subaru WRX Sedan
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2002, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by old squid
…what is the Concours ?
Kawasaki took the old ZX-10 Ninja motor, changed the carbs/cams, etc and took some top end off and gave it more midrange torque (but you can still tell it’s a Ninja motor on top). They also gave it more of an upright seating position, good wind protection, shaft drive, easily detachable hard bags, and good room for a passenger. If memory serves, Motorcyclist Magazine voted it Bike of the Year in ’86 or ’87, so you know Kawasaki got it right when it was released in ’86. At the time a lot of Jap bike manufacturers were catching grief ‘bout completely changing bikes from year to year. Kawasaki stated when they released it they would not change it for at least 5 years. 16 years later, only ‘bout 15% of the bike has been changed.
I’ve had mine since ’87, and after buying my 6R last July, despite my belief that the 6R would show how far bikes have come since buying my Concours, it instead reinforces just how good the Concours is! Of all the sport-tourers I’ve seen over the years, the only one that I’ve really been impressed with enough to possibly get me off my Concours was the old defunct Yamaha GTS 1000.
COG has an excellent list server (around 800 subscribe), a national tech director, magazine, etc. The bike has been picked apart over the years by COG members (around 2500), so all the bike’s idiosyncrasies are well known.
A lot of folks over the years have been surprised at just how well the Concours handles, ‘specially for it’s size (I know I was when I bought mine). A lot of COG folks use the bike as a commuter, so it sounds like it might be right up your alley.
MSRP is $8199, but I understand folks are walking out the door with ‘em for $7199. It’s probably one of the best-kept secrets/bargains in motorcycling. Heck, used ones are just a steal!
A few sites to check out:
www.kawasaki.com (look under the touring section for the Concours)
http://www.concours.org/ (COG home page)
http://www.micapeak.com/pages/mlist.html (COG mailing list)

We also have a pretty active member in San Jose, so if you’re interested, I could hook you up with him for questions, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg concours_3.jpg (79.8 KB, 235 views)

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member

Last edited by basicblur; 01-14-2002 at 10:30 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 12:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to minfinger
Quote:
Originally posted by ninjabeater
I am planning to buy a 2002 R6 soon but i was wondering what the differences are between the 2001 and 2002. I haven't been reading the mags lately so i'm not up to date on all the info....Am i better off with a 2001? it would be a bit cheaper.
There's absolutely no difference between the 01' and the 02', except a paint scheme. And all they did was add a Grey stripe to the edge of the White. 01' had 3 models, blue, red, champion, which I have. 02' only has the blue and the red. I have a feeling that when Yamaha finally releases the 02' R1, they may release a special paint scheme for the R6 too. Blue and Silver Just my thoughts.

The differences in the R6 models occur in the year 00' to 01'. The change the tail lights to the LEDs and did a little engine tuning (I think).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by minfinger

There's absolutely no difference between the 01' and the 02', except a paint scheme. And all they did was add a Grey stripe to the edge of the White. 01' had 3 models, blue, red, champion, which I have. 02' only has the blue and the red. I have a feeling that when Yamaha finally releases the 02' R1, they may release a special paint scheme for the R6 too. Blue and Silver Just my thoughts.

The differences in the R6 models occur in the year 00' to 01'. The change the tail lights to the LEDs and did a little engine tuning (I think).

Thanks for this information. I am lookin for a new '01 but if i can't find one i'll get the '02. I really like the red/black '02s, but i could save at least $1000 by getting tne '01.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 07:38 AM

yo

basicblur,
where was that photo taken? It looks suspiciously like western PA/VA... the mountains look too rolling for california.
Wherever it is, I want to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode