V-Rod - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

V-Rod

Now before you all flame me for merely mentioning a Harley...

Saw the new V-Rod today at Reno HD. Very interesting looking machine. Parked, it's different, certainly an aquired taste, however when it's moving, it really takes on a different appearance. Willie G & Company really did an amazing job on that bike. The fit & finish are superb and there is an obvious attention to detail. Sounds pretty good, but with stock pipes, it was too subdued. My friend who works there said the SE pipes really do the trick and that they got 107 hp on the dyno with one (pipes & aircleaner only...5,000' elevation too).

Here's what REALLY amazed me. They have sold their entire '02 allocation....for MSRP, no mark-up. 3 have gone out the door so far, with a couple more next week. The owner's stated that "I want customers next year too". Refreshing, I'd say.

I was also told to expect some nice variations on the theme for next year, in particular in a sport touring configuration. I will say this, Harley sure took a major gamble with their current customer base with this bike. Local opinion among the faithful is about 70% negative....probably a good sign!

I always appreciate "out of the box" thinking and I'm glad Harley built this bike, and glad there's a dealer who doesn't rape his customers. Nice change indeed.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 04:59 PM
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Robert
I'm not ashamed to admit I'd like to buy one if I could afford it.

(And I'm a prior HD owner.... twice over)

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder
(Who needs sleep?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2001, 06:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
It's still too long and don't have enough cornering clearance for me.

At least HD is making an effort to do something different.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 12:38 AM

I'm with Robert. If I could afford a V-ROD, I'd buy one.

I think Harley did a great job on the bike. I was sorry to read reports of the "Harley faithful" ragging on the bike. Williie G. did a good thing when creating the V-ROD.

Incidentally, I've heard dealers around my way will charge up to $27,000 for the bike! "No thanks! Just looking."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Incidentally, I've heard dealers around my way will charge up to $27,000 for the bike! "No thanks! Just looking."
That's why I brought up the point about Bud (owner of Reno HD) selling them for sticker. I really appreciate a business owner who recognizes the need to keep his customers satisfied for a longterm relationship, rather than to simply maximize profits for the next quarter.

I'm lusting after what's been rumored to be a Sport Touring model with the new powerplant and the chassis concept from the XB9R...due in '03, along with a bunch of other models around that new engine, remember, '03 is the 100th anniversary.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 12:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to JDM1200
I have heard the same about dealer markups being around $10,000. Personally I can't wait till Buell gets ahold of that engine. Personally I think a sport tourer from Harley would be something along the lines of what they currently call their sport tourer, the Dyna Glide Sport. They'll slap some bags and a sheild on a Vrod and that will be their sport tourer.
But I'm with everyone who says if I could afford it, I would buy one.

Ride the Pace,
JD
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 09:14 AM

Red face

Local dealer here in Huntsville asking $26,000...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 10:37 AM
Banned

hmmmm,build a bike around an engine with 20th place finishes.if it finished at all.i'll admit that's original!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by iccarref1026
hmmmm,build a bike around an engine with 20th place finishes.if it finished at all.i'll admit that's original!
It's worse than that.

I understand that the VR100 motor was not used. The V-rod motor was sourced out to Porsche for R&D with Willie hisself giving input on aesthetics. Apparently he wanted it to have cooling fins even though it is water-cooled and wanted some coolant hose routed some wierd way to make it look more harley-like.

Imagine the frustration the German engineers must have felt. "If vee do it zat vay, it vill over heat, you dumbkopf!!! " Well too bad, you kraut, but hey it's O.K. if it leaks a little"

I bet no V-rod ever leaks.

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to 600f3rider
While i do have a buddy who has one i will never buy one. Any harley product for that matter. There customer base seeems about 85% middle age snobs who make too much money and don't wave back at me when i wave at them.

And why the hell can they get away with running straight pipes? I suppose they need squeeze every bit of horse power out of the engines to make those heavy bikes go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode