MSRP really? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Needa916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 85
Unhappy MSRP really?

I just put my (refundable) deposit on a 2002 GSX-R750. Is it true there are no good deals anywhere on any bikes? I went to 10 dealerships, and they all were saying that my fav. bike is going for MSRP of $9500, maybe a couple of hundred off. When you pay almost 10 grand, $200 is nothing. Are there any better deals on any other bikes? I am looking for midrange and a great top end. My previous bike was a GSX-R 600 (just got stolen), so I know that engine, it just does not have guts below 7000. Gimme some ideas for around $8500 please.

Thanks in advance.
Needa916 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 07:36 AM
Registered User
 
devils playmate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA 80829
Posts: 83
Send a message via Yahoo to devils playmate
i just dont think brand new bikes are worth it...
yea youll have the '02 but the depreciation in value will kill you...
find a great '01 owned by a responsible rider, youll save thousands...
for $8500 you can get anything you want..in showroom condition..you just wont have the 02 model...
as far as im concerned the only bike that is that much better for '02 is that gorgeous '02 silver R1..mmmmm yum
but hey, im a little biased..haha

mmmm..Unexplained Bacon..!!!
devils playmate is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 07:38 AM
Registered User
 
Cam McFarland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Spring, Texas, 77380
Posts: 865
Re: MSRP really?

Quote:
Originally posted by Needa916
I just put my (refundable) deposit on a 2002 GSX-R750. Is it true there are no good deals anywhere on any bikes? I went to 10 dealerships, and they all were saying that my fav. bike is going for MSRP of $9500, maybe a couple of hundred off. When you pay almost 10 grand, $200 is nothing. Are there any better deals on any other bikes? I am looking for midrange and a great top end. My previous bike was a GSX-R 600 (just got stolen), so I know that engine, it just does not have guts below 7000. Gimme some ideas for around $8500 please.

Thanks in advance.
I got my 2001 ZX-9R for $8550.00
drive out in July.....I felt this
was a pretty good deal.

Suzuki GSXR 600cc track bike. Penske shock, Ohlins steering dampner, Lindemann forks, Sharkskinz body work, Full Yoshimura RS-3 Titainium / carbon fiber exaust system, Yosh digital tach with built in temp gauge, Yosh clip-ons, WRM rearsets to name a few. Motor was built and tuned by G-force racing engines.
Cam McFarland is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 07:40 AM
Registered User
 
shannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Altus, Oklahoma 73521
Posts: 753
Send a message via AIM to shannon
Quote:
Originally posted by devils playmate
i just dont think brand new bikes are worth it...
yea youll have the '02 but the depreciation in value will kill you...
find a great '01 owned by a responsible rider, youll save thousands...
for $8500 you can get anything you want..in showroom condition..you just wont have the 02 model...
as far as im concerned the only bike that is that much better for '02 is that gorgeous '02 silver R1..mmmmm yum
but hey, im a little biased..haha
There's plenty of 01 zx-9's out there. You can get them out the door for a little over 8g's

AFAM and K&N stickers added for more ponie power
shannon is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 07:53 AM
Pete
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by shannon muse


There's plenty of 01 zx-9's out there. You can get them out the door for a little over 8g's
Same with new '01 929's.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 08:20 AM
Registered User
 
basicblur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Danville, VA.
Posts: 591
Re: MSRP really?

Quote:
Originally posted by Needa916
Is it true there are no good deals anywhere on any bikes? Are there any better deals on any other bikes?
As some have mentioned, most Kawasakis can be had for a discount. Recently bought my '01 6R for $1000 off. Since the motomags luv to rag on the Kawasakis, seems they're out of favor with the 'gotta have the greatest 'cause the motomag said so' crowd. Just hope your dealer hasn't seen those pesky little ads running topside in here for the 6R, since they may try to raise the price! Actually, I think they show the MSRP being cheaper this year?

I am looking for midrange and a great top end. My previous bike was a GSX-R 600 (just got stolen), so I know that engine, it just does not have guts below 7000. Gimme some ideas for around $8500 please.


Assuming you're not opposed to a 600 again, consider the 6R (or 9R if you want mo/bigger/faster). The 6R has good mid-range torque for a 600, but still has a good rush up top. As most folk will tell you, the Kawasakis have a great intake howl that'll make you ! (and if your choice doesn't make you grin...)

'Course, we're assuming you're not strictly a Suzuki fellow? (had a GSXR 600 and has a deposit on a GSXR 1000)?
The only real downside I can see to buying a Kawasaki is you might actually be able to take trips on it.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
basicblur is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Needa916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 85
Iam a GSX-R dork

Ya maybe its time to get out of the GSX-R rut. My original bike was an 86' gsx-r 750, next was a duplicate '86 gixer, then the 98' 600 till it was nicked. I donno why, but they fit me like a glove ( I haven't owned a car since the early 90s'). The Kawasakis all feel a bit too civilized, so do the Hondas. I rode an R-1 the other day, and it was downright comfy - upright riding and all. There isn't really anything else that makes me feel as good when riding a GSX-R, except maybe a 916, 996, 998, RSV, etc. -out of my price range. Its not like I will ever reach any of the limits on any motorcycle on the street ('xept for a Hog Iam sure), but its just gotta feel good, know what I mean?

2001 models are tempting, but the thought of the bike being ridden out of the lot at full throttle back when it had zero miles on the odometer, scares the bejeezus out of me. Maybe something will pop up when I go to a couple more dealerships this week.
Needa916 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 11:39 AM
Moderator
 
RCjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kingston, TN USA 37763
Posts: 5,474
Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
At the risk of sounding like a Suzuki slam, which it is not, the GSXR750 is not known for a huge amount of low or midrange grunt but has a ton of high end grunt(read as torque). This is not from me riding them but from the guys I've talked to that own the current 750. These of course are relative terms as far as grunt goes.

The current GSXR600s appear to have pretty low end grunt themselves. In the last three days of track riding I've done, the GSXR600s come off the corners just about as well as the 750s then get beat up in top end. Of course these guys probably aren't running stock gearing but I can assure you that the 600s are pretty damn impressive.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
RCjohn is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 01:05 PM
Registered User
 
basicblur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Danville, VA.
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
The current GSXR600s appear to have pretty low end grunt themselves. In the last three days of track riding I've done, the GSXR600s come off the corners just about as well as the 750s then get beat up in top end.
Methinks he had a '98 GSXR 600. I don't know how the new ones are, or when/if they changed (I'm assuming they did), but I remember reading tests on some of the earlier 600 GSXRs that Motorcyclist Magazine? knocked for being pretty gutless down low.

...but I can assure you that the 600s are pretty damn impressive.
That they are. Probably one of the best kept secrets of motorcycling? Also probably the most bang for your buck in the various displacement classes.
I used to have an '85 600 Ninja, which was also (relatively) gutless below 7,000 rpm. 'Course, when it hit 7,000, the redline (11,000) came up like throwing a light switch! There's a world of difference in the powerband on my '01 6R compared to that old '85. The new one actually has some mid-range torque! (one reason I bought it).

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
'Course, if there's a hot tub at the end of a long day in the saddle, who am I to complain?
Concours Owners Group
AMA Life Member
basicblur is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-26-2001, 02:50 PM
Moderator
 
Hammer 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Torrance,CA. USA 90504
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
At the risk of sounding like a Suzuki slam, which it is not, the GSXR750 is not known for a huge amount of low or midrange grunt but has a ton of high end grunt(read as torque). This is not from me riding them but from the guys I've talked to that own the current 750. These of course are relative terms as far as grunt goes.

The current GSXR600s appear to have pretty low end grunt themselves. In the last three days of track riding I've done, the GSXR600s come off the corners just about as well as the 750s then get beat up in top end. Of course these guys probably aren't running stock gearing but I can assure you that the 600s are pretty damn impressive.
I agree..I think what ya need is GSXR 1000, an 01 model, they seem to have what it takes to get out of their own way pretty quick..pssstt.....get the Silver & Black one

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Hammer 4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome