SF Moto Show - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up SF Moto Show

Wow-whata year for sportbikes!! The show was hot (even though the vendors sucked). First off- R1 v. 954. The silver R1 is absolutely gorgeous, but a little too reserved for me. I ordered mine in blue and I'm sticking with that color. But that's not my dilemma... It's-do I stick with Honda and get a 954? If they made one in yellow&black to match my leathers/boots, I'd get a 954. It is TINY. Noticeably more than the R1, especially nose-to-tail. It has a slightly more raised tail section than the R1. You sit more ON the 954, whereas you are more IN the R1. Fit and finish are comparable. The R1 has a funky bare metal fastener connecting the front of the tank to the frame which I will paint flat black. The 954 feels a little lighter. After sitting on each about 10x, I'm sticking with the R1. Here's why: I feel that the 954 is a stop-gap bike for Honda. In 2 or 3 years we'll see the real RR with more ccs and looking more like the 4-stroke GP bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 03:55 AM
Pete

Re: SF Moto Show

Quote:
Originally posted by fasteddie
I feel that the 954 is a stop-gap bike for Honda. In 2 or 3 years we'll see the real RR with more ccs and looking more like the 4-stroke GP bike.
Agreed.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 10:19 AM

Re: SF Moto Show

Quote:
Originally posted by fasteddie
Wow-whata year for sportbikes!! The show was hot (even though the vendors sucked). First off- R1 v. 954. The silver R1 is absolutely gorgeous, but a little too reserved for me. I ordered mine in blue and I'm sticking with that color. But that's not my dilemma... It's-do I stick with Honda and get a 954? If they made one in yellow&black to match my leathers/boots, I'd get a 954. It is TINY. Noticeably more than the R1, especially nose-to-tail. It has a slightly more raised tail section than the R1. You sit more ON the 954, whereas you are more IN the R1. Fit and finish are comparable. The R1 has a funky bare metal fastener connecting the front of the tank to the frame which I will paint flat black. The 954 feels a little lighter. After sitting on each about 10x, I'm sticking with the R1. Here's why: I feel that the 954 is a stop-gap bike for Honda. In 2 or 3 years we'll see the real RR with more ccs and looking more like the 4-stroke GP bike.
So how does the 954 compare with the 929 comfortwise? My husband really liked the 929 and was considering it as his next bike but does not like the R1. Just curious I personally think the new R1 (in silver) is so cool that comfort would not be an issue but...my next step up will be a 600 (sigh )

Jennifer

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

reply to jjcm

Comfortwise, the R1 and the 954 are virtually identical. They are both committed sportbikes.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2001, 11:26 AM

Cool

I found the 954 more comfortable. Not as aggressive feeling as the R1, which I like. Shifting on the R1 required you to lean more forward than the 954.

Loydster

Last edited by Loydster; 11-14-2001 at 11:32 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 07:34 AM

Question

How tall are you, cuz I'm 6'1" and I'm just wondering which bike would be more comfortable. Also, does the R1 seem to have a longer reach to the handle bars?

I'm developing the "work" pill. You simply pop 1 on the way to work and before you know it, you're on your way home from work without missing a beat! It's kinda like pounding brews, but you won't wake up with a fat chick or a fat lip, & you get paid too!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 03:14 AM

Talking

I'm 5'11". The R1 yu sit more forward, aggressive, with the weight on your wrists, and your feet more behind you. The 954 you sit up a little higher with less reaching out so you are not bearing the weight on your arms/wrists as much. The pegs are more inline as well. It is all in how you want to ride. I'm not buying a bike to race or wheelies. I commute a lot so I want something sporty but not uncomfortable either. Otherwise I would buy a cruiser.

Loydster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode