New R6? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to QuikMike
Question New R6?

IS Yamaha going to release the '02 R6 with fuel-injection and/or ram-air? I am in the market for a bike and I want the R6, but I also want fuel-injection or ram-air. Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 01:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to minfinger
You're going to be waiting a while for any info. Last I heard, the End of October was the best shot for any info on the 2002 R6 or R1.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 05:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by minfinger
You're going to be waiting a while for any info. Last I heard, the End of October was the best shot for any info on the 2002 R6 or R1.
You don't think Yamaha will participate in the September Milan show to debut their new line along with all the other manufacturers?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 08:08 AM

Some of the dealers around here were saying something about a show in Savannah, GA around labor day. But I understand it's a big boat show of some kind. So some of the other dealers I talked to said they did not think any annoucement about the bikes would happen that weekend. Mostly just ATV and watercraft.

All of the dealers don't expect anything until mid to late september. From what I've been told, they did the same thing last year.

I don't know if that reflect on the milan show or not. Maybe they will be presenting "higher end models" of the already released 2002 models? Hard to say I haven't heard anything about Milan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 02:32 PM

Re: New R6?

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikMike
IS Yamaha going to release the '02 R6 with fuel-injection and/or ram-air? I am in the market for a bike and I want the R6, but I also want fuel-injection or ram-air. Help!!
I called my local Yamaha dealer a week ago and was told that the 2002 R6 will have carbs.

I spoke with someone after that who said that his dealer said the 2002 R6 will have FI.

What with all the hoopla about the R1, it would make sense that they wouldn't steal the thunder away from the new R1 which is clearly going to be new.

My guess is that a FI R6 won't be here 'til 2003, if then.

Hope I'm wrong.

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 07:45 PM

Talking end of september....

I checked the yamaha site, it states the end of september. I believe they may try to "UP" the horsepower or change colors, but I really don't think there will be to many changes. They are having way to much sucess with the current R6. I have read they sell more R6 than R1. If you change the styling, color, etc. people may changed there "buying" styles also. I think it will stay the same with little or no changes....

"The Yamaha R6 is like a good woman. Fast, sexy, and I love the curves. If you treat her right, she will come back and let you ride her again & again...."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 09:24 PM

Well check this:

You've got the 2002 FZ1 which uses a motor based on the engine from the R1

Quoted from Yamaha's Page:

"The FZ1 is fitted with an engine based on the R1. With redesigned cylinder head, the compact 998cc liquid-cooled beast is fed by four side-draft 37mm carbs. The crankshaft, 10% heavier than the R1, increases inertial mass, which improves the around-town ridability. "

Then you've got your R6 which is based on the engine from the R1.

Everybody say hmmmm.

Plus Richard hit the nail on the head. The R6 is the number 1 selling street bike ever made.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 03:07 AM

Carbs......

My info says no major changes for 2002. Yamaha generally don't update both their top models in the same year.It deflects attention from each other.

Better Smeg than dead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode