Buell Firebolt XB9R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Buell Firebolt XB9R

I was watching Speedvision this weekend and I think it was Motorcyclist and they showed the new HD VROD and they also showed the new Buell Firebolt XB9R. It looks nice but I am not sure about a couple of things.

First to control the lenght of the bike and for center of gravity they have extended the fuel tank so that it is stored in the frame of the bike??? WTF?

Second, the oil is stored in the swing arm of the bike.

I am just not sure about these new inovations i am still thinking about them. But, for some reason I have a funny feeling about it.

What about you guys????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Buell Picture

Here is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: gif firebolt xb9r.gif (24.5 KB, 242 views)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 05:25 PM

The gas in the frame is a great idea, but the oil in the swingarm seems like it would add a lot of unsprung weight. I am impressed to see Buell be the first major MFG. using rim mounted brakes! What puzzles me is that they put a new H2O cooled motor in a Harley, but the Buell is still air cooled????

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 12:20 PM

Dirt bikes have been placing the oil in the frame for sometime now. Placing fuel in the frame should work just fine. Oil in the swing arm if kept in the front portion should not hurt the unsprung weight much, could even reduce it if in front of the pivot point.

The rest of my thoughts our these guys couldn't keep mufflers on their bikes 10 years ago and now they want me to ride around with fuel flowing from the frame to the FI under pressure. Buell is way behind the quality curve and I for one am not interested no matter how innovative. As for the VRod engine it will probably take 3 or 4 years to work its way into a Buell, think about what they sell Harley's for and what Buell's go for.

Rick
NCVFR
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

I think that it is a big step for them also but, they have like recalled every model year of Buell for the last couple of years. The styling kinda looks like a short Bandit or FZ1 to me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 05:50 AM

I'm not a big Buell fan, but this bike is trick. I need to see if I can get a ride at the local dealer on this one.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 07:56 PM

<<Oil in the swing arm if kept in the front portion should not hurt the unsprung weight much, could even reduce it if in front of the pivot point. >>

I'm sure you realized as soon as you wrote it, but this isn't correct. If it was, you could add more and more weight in front of the pivot until you had ZERO unsprung weight. Or a little more and it would be NEGATIVE!! What matters is keeping the inertia of the unsprung parts of the bike down, so that they can be controlled more easily and accurately by the spring & damper. More weight (anywhere on the swingarm) gives the suspension a more difficult job to do and will lead to issues that wouldn't be there if they put the oil somewhere else.

I also worry about Buell's chances of getting it so the flex piping doesn't leak and piss oil all over the rear tyre....

A sensational looking bike, though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 12:48 PM

Check the Buell thread, Buell reliabality

Check the Buell thread, Buell reliability. I have a 98 S1W and have had to rebuild the topend only once! Yeah the Firebolt is trick, perimeter brake also. But the first and second year Buells with fuel injeciton had a lot of problems. The Firebolt has a new ecm coupled with a fan for the rear cyl head. I hope I am wrong but I am skeptical that it will work well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode