Which beemer for commuting? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Which beemer for commuting?

As you all know I have been considering a beemer for a while now. I am specifically looking for something more relaxed (read: slower)and more commutable than my Ducati. This would be a second bike, never ever sell a Ducati.
My commute is now 74 miles each way and I'd like to keep my license. The 3 models that appeal to me are the R1150R, the R1100S, and the R1200C. I have basically eliminated the R1100S as I already have a competent sportbike. So it's down to 2.
I was recently going over the specs for both models and some things just don't add up.
The R makes the same torque as the 1200c but 20 more HP, yet costs almost 5000 dollars less.
WTF? Also the R uses standard mid level sportbike tire sizes ensuring a plethora of choices when it's time to change, the C uses a strange 15" rear. I figure there must be something special about the 1200C as they seem to sell very well. I want to know what it is. Please correct me on any mistakes as I obviously have limited knowledge of cruisers. This is all hugely experimental for me as I am not at all sure that the voices in my head will let me go slowly on whatever I get.
BTW please don't say "just get an ST2" b/c if I did I know I would just ride it at 100+ the way I do my current duck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 10:17 AM
Squidwannabe

F650GS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 10:28 AM
Pete

Re: Which beemer for commuting?

Quote:
Originally posted by lucifer
As you all know I have been considering a beemer for a while now.
And I still don't understand why.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Longevity: 300000+ mile life span.
Mechanical simplicity: No radiator, no carbs, no chain.
Ease of maintenance: It's all right there in the open.
Comfort.
Reliability.

What other bike fits this criteria Pete?

Squid,
The lil thumper is not as appealing due to its size. I really want this bike to be roomy and passenger friendly.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:03 AM
Pete

Quote:
Longevity: 300000+ mile life span.
Mechanical simplicity: No radiator, no carbs, no chain.
Ease of maintenance: It's all right there in the open.
Comfort.
Reliability.

What other bike fits this criteria Pete?

That little smilie face meant that I was only kidding.

(NOTE TO SELF: Lucifer is sometimes humor-challenged.)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Sorry I've been having a weird day at work. I was really just curious to see if you had another suggestion. I was considering a moto guzzi but I just don't know about reliability.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:30 AM
Pete

Lucifer, no problem. I'm not a big BMW motorcycle fan, but only because I don't like the way they look. Except for the weight factor on their line of "adventure" bikes (and the fact that I can't keep up with all the RG this and GS that monikers), their ain't a whole lotta bad things you can say about BMWs.

I have suggestions, but they were all quickly dismissed by your comment, "I'd like to keep my license."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:45 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Squid,
The lil thumper is not as appealing due to its size. I really want this bike to be roomy and passenger friendly.
Have you ever driven one ? Really, 2 up it's not so bad. It's more comfy than your 900ss.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Honestly no but I have ridden my dads SR500 and that degree of vibration is not exactly what I am looking for. Maybe I'll test ride it though just to be sure.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 07:03 AM

I had a R1100R, and you can see my comments on the bike under the BMW section in the forum. I don't think I'd buy another one. It wasn't bad, just annoying. Also, review the other BMW forum websites about these bikes before you buy. Personally, I'd get a ride from one of the big four Japanese manufacturers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode