New dirt rider, recommendations needed. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

New dirt rider, recommendations needed.

My wife and I want to start dirt riding, and the problem that I've come across looking for information on the net is that most suggestions I read are written by children, so I'm hoping you all can help me out with some mature recommendations.

Eventually, my wife and I would like to have seperate dirt bikes, but with today's financial situation, we're going to have to share a bike for a while. With that said, I'm afraid it may be difficult due to our size difference and riding styles, but maybe you could give us a suggestion?

I'm 27, 5'10 185 lbs. She's 5'3-ish, 130 lbs. We're both not too agressive out there, but I have my moments and I like to have power on tap. I like to play around a bit, wheelie and what not, she does not. We live in the Rockies near the mountains, so we'd have opportunities to ride just about anything and everything, ie. trails, tracks, mountains, plains. I'm basically looking for a good basic 'all around' condition dirt bike that would fit both of us.

The last time I rode was on a vacation 3 years ago, and before that it must have been 15+ years. I'm not a total noobie, but I'm not afraid to admit I've forgotten more than I've retained at this point. My wife has only ridden a few times in her life.

We want to buy used, and we want a Honda (I should clarify that she wants a Honda, but I'm mainly doing this so we can have this experience together, so I want to get something that she will like, and she loves Hondas). Any suggestions as to a year, model #, and price range we should look for? I'd appreciate any help, thanks!

Justin

Hold my beer and watch this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention price... I do not have a set number in mind, but I would like to keep it as cheap as possible. I know prices of new dirt bikes today are in the multiple thousands, and I just don't have that type of cash, which is another reason I have to buy used. So with any recommendations, keep that in mind please! Idealy I'd love to spend no more than a grand, but I don't know how realistic that is, and I don't mind saving a little more if needed. Thanks!

Justin

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 03:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to F3Bufford Send a message via Yahoo to F3Bufford
are you any good at rebuilding? Last week I acquired a '98 YZ250 for under 1500.00 I tore it apart, made a list of everything I need (and a few extravagances), but the end price on parts ended up being around 300.00 If you can't work on the bike, don't bother buying something older than a couple years. If you're handy, you can save a lot of money both on initial cost and on maintaining.

As far as which bike to get... Yamaha. Personally for street bikes I'm a die-hard honda fan, but in the dirt yamaha has the best. I'd suggest looking into a 125 since you said yo eventually want to have seperate bikes. The 125 would be good enough for her since you say she isn't overly agressive, and it would be a good place for you to start out. Once you're ready, get yourself a 250 and let her have the 125.

oh yeah, and stick with 2 stroke motors.

Duh.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Got it, thanks a lot!

Justin

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 09:21 AM

eh even a 125 2 stroke is still a hell of a bike, ive been riding 125's for a long time, i had 3 of them until last year when i sold them, now i ride a cr250. yes, 2 strokes are a heck of a lot easier to fix, but reliability wise and stuff, 4 strokes are a lot better. you dont foul plugs all the time, a lot of newer ones have electric start (your wife will love that, she wont wanna have to kick over a bike all the time) and its a lot more milder powerband. i would suggest, if you both are using the same bike, a honda xr250. if you can find one hooked up with electric start, thats awesome but i dont think they come stock. you can get a very nice used one year 2000+ for around 2g. another good bike, if you wanted to stay toward motocross side, would be a yamaha yzf250, or a honda crf250. both of these bikes ride similar to a 125 motocross bike, but are 4 strokes. the xr is more of a trail bike. it depends on what you want, or you can go with yamahas ttr series, i dont know if they make a 250 or not, but i would stick around there. then when you are ready to buy a bike, i would suggest for you either.....

2 stroke - honda cr250 (i just got one last week, awesome bike), or any other motocross 250. i have always ridden 125s and i love my 250, once i was ready for it you know

4 stroke - xr600, suz drz400 (if you want trail bikes) or if you want a more of a motocross bike then definitely the yamaha yzf426 or a yzf450, probably the best motocross 4 stroke out there right now. crf450 from honda if ur die hard honda (i think they make one) but reviews on that yam are really good
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 09:33 AM

Now depending on who's bike you are going to get first. From her height / weight I would put her on an XR200. They sit low to the ground, are realitively light for an older 4 stroke and still have pretty good power. this bike will cost quite a bit less than the XR250 with only some differences.

Another good bike would be the Kawasaki KDX200 or KDX220. It's a 2 stroke but very quiet and has the KIPS (Kawasaki Intergrated Powervalve System) It's a 3 stage power valve so it performs like a 4 stroke but with the simplicity of a 2 stroke. This would be a good bike because you can put on it or get pretty aggressive.

I would not suggest a 125 motocross bike due to the fact that the power is in the high revs and for someone who wants to put and go up hills (ie. your wife) I would not be a good choice.

From the sounds of it you would do well on a KX250. gear it down 1 tooth on the primary. You have similar terrain as I do but on a little bigger scale. I would also gear down the KDX.

Definately check on the KDX line for a shared bike. You can buy them brand new for under $4K and used for $2K and under and you can't go wrong with the simplicity of a 2 stroke.

Good luck and have fun.

Marriage comes with three rings, the engagement ring, the wedding ring and the suffering
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 10:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
250 4 stroke

just get a newer 250rmz suzuki or a honda they all have hell of financing deals going on now. these newer small 4 strokes are amazing for power. I myself still run an 250 2 stroke but most of my friends all have newer 4 strokes. my friends got a 2000 yz250 for sale lots of extras on it needs nothing and hes asking $2000.00 for it. He just bought a new rmz450. were onlt 4.5 hours from Denver
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 11:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to mainerdr
if you have your mc lic. then I would get an on off road bike. They are lots of fun and you don't need to trailer them to find new trails around your city/town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode