excess oil? / problems with 50cc - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to murfnamedsmurf
excess oil? / problems with 50cc

OK guys, thanks again for helping me get the XR80 running again (I'm the guy with the two dirt bikes that sat around and wouldn't run). I'm getting to work on the Z50R now after a month or two break w/ no spare time for it.

Anyway, here's the problems with it. Seems to be about the same as the 80 except some differences :-P I got the air filter off and all, so the intake on the carb is exposed of course. After cleaning the spark plug w/ carb cleaner and scrubbing the carbon buildup off lightly with some sandpaper, the 50cc is to the point that it will run on a brief spray of starter fluid shot in the carb intake. However, it revs really high even if I only squirt a tiny amount, and then dies, regardless of throttle position.

The throttle is the second problem. It will open, but has trouble closing on it's own. After a good bit of carb cleaner, I can get it to close a bit by forcing it back down (on the grip), but it won't self-return or anything. I think the cable may have corroded/rusted or something like that because the actual throttle piece seems to be in good shape.

The third thing seems major. I unscrewed the dipstick to check the oil again, and it seemed overfilled as hell! It was sitting upright, but the oil just poured out of the dipstick/fill area until I screwed the dipstick back in. What would cause it to have so much oil in there? I haven't added any since I took them out of storage, and I don't think my grandfather (stored in his garage) would have done anything to them either. What should I do to take care of this problem, and what is the problem?

Thanks guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 08:16 PM

Ok, the engine rev problem sounds like an air leak somewhere making the engine think it's a full throttle all the time. Your throttle sticking problem is caused by a bind somewhere in the system (binding cable, sticky throttle pipe, sticky cable pulley, binding linkages, etc...) Far as your oil problem goes, feel and smell the oil that pours out. You may have a leak in the piston rings or crankcases thats dumping fuel into your oil. (I had a Yamaha YZ that had the same problem, caused by a crack inside the cases.) Hopes this helps, and good luck.

A good wheelie and great sex are about the same. You always wanna go deeper, harder, higher and faster. But can you control yourself on the edge of losing it ?

God bless the freaks !
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to murfnamedsmurf
yeah, I feel like a moron now. I unscrewed the dipstick again a few days ago and made sure the bike was upright this time, and it didn't spew over. And the throttle problem was caused by me somehow getting the throttle inserted 180 degrees backward, so of course it wouldn't go down. I didn't realize until I took the carb off, because until then I couldn't see in the air intake hole.

Thanks though :-) BTW it runs fine now on the starter fluid, doesn't rev way up, but still stops once that is burned off. Can't get it to burn fuel

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 01:15 PM

Scince the bikes been setting, the jets in the carb are prolly plugged. Pull the carb off, remove the float bowl and take a peek. If you can't see light through the jets then clean them out with carb cleaner and a soft piece of copper wire. This is the most likely problem.

A good wheelie and great sex are about the same. You always wanna go deeper, harder, higher and faster. But can you control yourself on the edge of losing it ?

God bless the freaks !
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 01:00 AM

Ok, the engine rev problem sounds like an air leak somewhere making the engine think it's a full throttle all the time.

Get the most popular
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and TV shows on DVD online!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode