Need Advice... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to cbr4rusty
Lightbulb Need Advice...

Alright heres the situation.....

I got a 00 xr200 which i luv to ride and is the most reliable bike I have ever ridden The only problem is, I can't jump it. I do anyways and it bottoms out all the time(which doesn't feal good ) I have the suspension tightened to the (recomended) max. I like 4-stokes and have had bad maintanance expiriences with 2-strokes. However, it was an old 2-stroke. I want a bike i can jump yet afford, that eliminates any jumpable 4-stroke. How reliable/maintance free are the newer 2-strokes? I have a freind that'll sell me his 02 yz 125 for under 3grand. Wut do u guys think? I like the 200 its got tons of power and speed but just no jumping capabilities. So wut should i do? sell the xr200 and buy a 2-stroke with that money, or keep the xr and stay grounded?

Rusty

Why's EVERYBODY got a freakin r6!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 06:59 PM

First off the '02 YZ 125 is a great bike. Most of the mags think it is the best 125 and for less than 3K it would be a great purchase. As for your XR200, there are places that sell stiffer springs for the XR's. I can think of two places that always advertise in the back of MXAction or DirtRider. I would check these out and also see if you have a local Pro-Action or RaceTech franshise or dealer. They can install the springs you find or will have their own they could put in for you. Now for the fun stuff ... 2-strokes vs 4's and specifically let's say a YZ 125 vs a XR200. The manly thing to do is to rave on and on about how boss the rip is on the 125 and how only a nancy boy would ride the 200. Well the YZ will hit like the XR on nitro. Is this cool? Up to you to decide. Can you lope along with the YZ like you are chasing a snail? Yeap. Is this what this bike is made for? No way. I MX race my CR (2-stroke) and have trail ridden it several times. I am sure I am doing something wrong but I just don't like the trails. Maintainance is more involved with the 2-strokes but is not nearly as bad as you might hear. Top ends (piston, pin and rings) need to be changed every... well you should ask your friend for his manual for the YZ and see what it says! Oh, by the way you will hear from people who are still running the stock piston going on 5 years (I think this is like bragging about how long you can go without a bath). Jetting a 2- stroke is much more important than on the 4's but I think the '02 YZ's are in pretty good shape from the factory. I don't have one stock jet in my CR. Last advice I have... do whatever it takes to get in the air. I am positive if you spring your XR or get the YZ that you will dig the air. Hope this helps.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. H.S.Thompson
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to cbr4rusty
Quote:
Originally posted by MIDLIFE CRISIS
The manly thing to do is to rave on and on about how boss the rip is on the 125 and how only a nancy boy would ride the 200. Well the YZ will hit like the XR on nitro. Is this cool? Up to you to decide.

Last advice I have... do whatever it takes to get in the air. I am positive if you spring your XR or get the YZ that you will dig the air. Hope this helps.
I know the the yz will rip like a mo fo , but power is a slight concern too. My buddy had a 95(?) kx 125 and it definitaly ripped but lacked in the hill climbs (then again it is a kawi ) My xr rips more then people think it will and it has great power and decent speed, it kept up with the 125 (till it hit the power band) But anyway, i'm definitaly leaning towards sellin the 200 and buying a 2-stroke. But i had the 200 on e-bay and had plenty of people offer me 1800$, but i was lookin more for around 2100$. So should i sell the 200 and take the $$$ loss(bought it for 3500)? If i do I'll end up buying the newest 2-stroke i can with 1800$. Or should i put money into the 200 to make it airborne?

Why's EVERYBODY got a freakin r6!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:36 PM

I think you are on your own now. It sounds like you know enough about the 2's to make a good decision and are certainly familar with what your XR can do. The only thing i would add to your equation as you think about this is that if you got your friends YZ or any newer 2-stroke you will gain a bike that is much more adjustable in the suspension. I only mention this because jumping and landing are not nearly as scary with your bike dialed in. If your XR doesn't have adjustment for both rebound and compression (I am not sure) I would maybe think twice about springing it. Good luck.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. H.S.Thompson
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 09:28 AM

Another important point to consider is the type of riding you do. If it is mostly trail riding-which I suspect as you bought a XR a 125 stroker might just take all the fun out of playing if you ride hilly or technical stuff. The XR is a beginners bike and was never built to air out. If you want playriding with a bike that can be jumped why not look at an older XR250. More power, way better suspension, user friendly power and reliability. Downside is MX is out - for that get a crosser.
So more importantly decide where you are going to do most of your riding and buy acording to that.

A flow of words is not proof of wisdom.
CSBA #376
http://www.breakthrough-ministries.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 07:36 PM

Talking 4 stroke or 2 stroke

XR's are bullet proof, but the suspension and frame just cant take it. if you cant aford a newer yzf or crf then go with the yz125.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 04:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to hillbillypimpin
If you are riding on public land or somewhere where you can piss off the neighbors i would look into something like a kawi kdx200 or 220 , suzuki rmx250, or some kind of ktm enduro. they are all two strokes and bridge the gap between the harsh yz and the girly xr. all of them are designed off older motocross models so they have adequate suspensionfor jumping and good power for climbing hills.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 05:36 PM

I have to disagree about the KDX. It is not designed for jumping. It's too heavy and the the frame is too soft. You will want to keep away from any trail or enduro style bike for that reason. The frames are not built to handle the stresses of serious jumping. You're going to be better off looking at MX bikes... your YZs, CRs, KXs. The YZ seems to be the bike to have this year. I have yet to hear a bad thing about them. CRs have been very reliable and very jumpable for years. I miss mine. A mid to late 90s model would be within your price range and it's not hard to find one in great condition. KXs have shown some promise in the last few years. Just look at Bubba's ride. If you have a certain price range you are limited to... stay away from the KTMs. They are good bikes, but they are expensive and so are the parts. When looking for a bike to jump with remember to consider more than just the suspension. The frame stability is very important. Stick to the MX bikes and try to avoid the trail/enduro bikes... my advice to you.

Last edited by hot_rocket78; 02-21-2003 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode