Sag on an MX bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Sag on an MX bike

Is setting sag on an MX bike as important as setting sag on a street bike. If so what are some typical numbers I should shoot for?

I don't own a cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 07:06 AM

Yes, considering what you will be asking your susp. to do, it is big time important. As for the sag on your bike (? kind) I know the owners mans usually give a good starting recomendation for sag or you might try racetech's web site. Sorry I don't know the address but they will even suggest comp and rebound settings. Depending on what you weigh, don't be supprised if you need to change spring rates in your forks and shock. We have a local ProAction franchise that I sent mine to. World of difference. If all else fails you might try to hit 100mm.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. H.S.Thompson
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 07:42 AM

Sag on an MX Bike

Sag is important on any bike. On the rear suspension of a dirt bike it should be 35mm difference between the fully extended travel of the suspension (with the rear of the bike suspended above the floor) and the amount of travel remaining after the bike is on the floor. Push the suspension up and down a few time to settle it, then measure it. It the "free sag" is less than 35mm, reduce the preload. If it is more, increase it.

After that setting is correct, sit on the bike with all of your gear on, and in your normal riding position, and have someone measure the amount of travel remaining. There should be 90 - 105mm difference between the free sag and the "laden sag" (with you on the bike).

The forks should have between 25 to 40 mm difference between the free sag and the unladen sag. I have never seen a measurement for the laden sag on the forks.

The final numbers you use will depend on how you ride, how you like the bike to respond, and the terrain you are riding on. You may find that different numbers are needed for different conditions. It is a fair amount of work to change the settings on my KTM, so I use the same ones everywhere.

HTH,

Tom O'Hara
Crittenden, KY
1996 ZX-11
2003 KTM 525 EXC
Job 13:15b
Ride hard, life is short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode