Any dirt riders? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to kvpZX9R
Any dirt riders?

Anyone out there have any 1st hand experience with a Yamaha TT-R225?

I'm just getting interested in dirt riding and don't want to spend the big bucks for one of the true motox'ers. Besides, a 4 stroke with electric start seems awfully nice.

PCS me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a darn poor scholar that can only spell a word one way

My school taught the 3 R's - Racin', Rasslin', & Rodeo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 03:39 PM

Sorry, the last 4-stroke dirt bike I had was an XR-75. Electric start is nice I'm sure, but even a beginner will outgrow that Yammie soon. If I were you, I'd look into a KDX200 or KTM200 EXC if you want to stay with a small bike. Gas-Gas also makes a KILLER 200! The KTM and GG will stay with a YZ426 in the woods easy. Two strokes are lighter, faster, andMUCH easier to work on! Plus they're easy to kickstart! JMHO

Last edited by motonole; 10-10-2002 at 03:43 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 04:33 PM

I think the bike you get is really going to depend on what you are planing on doing with it. Like Moto said, you will out grow the TT very quickly if you plan on taking it to the MX track. However if you are just looking to get off road and ride some trails I think the Yamie would be good for that, esp as a 4-stroke. I can't think of a off the shelf 2-stroke that would be much good at trail riding. And please don't get me started about the sacrafices you will need to make to the "gods of jetting" to get the 2 smoke to run right. This all said I love 2-strokes. There are thumper guys and 2-stroke guys. As far as easy to work on... sure because I leave my tools out all the time because I am messing with one of the 2's. I think it would be safe to say that 2-strokes are simpler than the avg. thumper dirt bike but maintainance is a bear.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. H.S.Thompson

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to kvpZX9R
I have no intention of ever going to a MX track. Around here everything is wide open dessert and everyone just parks on the side of the road, unloads, then gets to riding. Even the city of Alamogordo lets people ride on the vacant areas in town.

I'm not looking for something to fly through the air, maybe just get a couple feet of the ground.

Plus the wife won't let me spend very much on this. Go figure, she said I could go buy another new sportbike, but isn't wanting me to spend much on this.

PCS me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a darn poor scholar that can only spell a word one way

My school taught the 3 R's - Racin', Rasslin', & Rodeo.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 05:25 PM

Sounds like you need a 4 stroke for sure. Maybe an XR 400 or 250. I'll be looking for a MX bike this winter, even though they require a lot of attention, but I plan on using it on the track so I know I will need a KXRMCRYZ type bike .
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 05:36 PM

dirtbike

If you have got sand get as much displacement as u can
sand requires torque to get up on top of it & u have to get on top
to move-----here in the east a small cc will do fine we go buy what we can pick up ,( literally) starter adds weight & when u get tired
the weight is a big problem been thru 3 new ones still have
the 4th
Have fun
Bill Teller
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 04:37 AM

With all due respect to the other replies, there are a LOT of 2 strokes that are great trailbikes right out of the box. The KDX200 or 220 is probably the best bet. I promise you that you will enjoy it more tha the 225 Yamaha. If you MUST have a 4stroke, I'd look into a big one for the desert. Some body mentioned a XR400, that would be good. Personally, I'd get an ugly used KX500 or CR500 (they are unbreakable!) for about 1500.- 2000 and let 'er rip!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 06:36 AM

Kvp, it sounds like you are on the right track (so to speak). I would take Gunshy's advice and look for displacement and light weight esp for sand. Motonole, I would be interested in a list of 2-strokes you feel come from the factory ready to lope along a trail. The nature of the 2-stroke (talking about the power band specifically) would put it at the bottom of any list of great trail bikes. Take a look at some 4-sale adds and see how many times you see the words "set up for trail riding" associated with 2-strokes vs 4's. No contest. And or not... Kvp stay away from the CR500. Unless you got a GSXR 1000 as your first street bike.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 08:49 AM

Midlife- As I said before, both the KDX200 and 200 are EXCELLENT trail bikes. Not racers in stock form, these bikes are built to be trail ridden. My wife rides a 220, and she never goes faster than 40mph! You can lug these things like a 4 stroke, and you also get the added benefit of top-end scream.(more so on the 200) ANY of the KTM EXC line of off-road bikes(even the 125, are great bikes for casual trail riders (beginners) or racers. They too, can lope along at a snails pace in 2nd or 3rd gear, then tap the clutch and hang on! I'm NOT trying to get anybody hurt, I was joking about the 500s, but in all seriousness the Kawasakis are great bikes that a beginner won't outgrow like a small 4 stroke. They are bulletproof, require basically no maintenence except for changing the oil, tightening the chain and cleaning the air filter. Make sure the bolts are tight, and one top-end can last 3 years. Unless you live in the mountains, rejetting should'nt be an issue. I've ridden and raced my KTM every weekend for 3 years, and even though it's heavily modified and runs on 50/50 VP- pump gas, I've only replaced the piston twice. BTW, the ads that say "modified for trail riding" are usually talking about motocross bikes. You would NOT want to moto a KDX!

Last edited by motonole; 10-11-2002 at 08:53 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 11:56 AM

Moto, I dig it and would say we are on the same page. I (like yourself) was only giving what I felt was the best advice given the paramaters. I love 2-strokes but would not recomend one for a trail rider. I am shocked that you would recommend a KTM It is hard enough for me to get parts now without adding another customer to their list! I got the joke about the CR500, just wanted to make sure Kvp didn't run onto someone in a full body cast with a great deal on one. I would love to see a video of CR500 loopouts. I bet it would be a 4 disc box set.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode