V-Rod finished last - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 05:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to mainerdr
How many other brands can you buy new; ride for years and sell them for nearly what you paid?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
How many other brands can you buy new; ride for years and sell them for nearly what you paid?
None. Including HD.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:30 AM

???

What do you mean vash?

HD's have the best resale of any bike and almost any vehicle..

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:36 AM

Quote:
???

What do you mean vash?

HD's have the best resale of any bike and almost any vehicle..

I think a great deal of that is myth, and the rest is exagerated. I have a few hd owning buddies, and when it came time for them to trade their bikes in (on other hd's) they all got raped by the dealer. The adds I see for used hd's selling for almost new prices keep on running week after week without selling. And thats not even considering that those bikes tend to sell over msrp when new.

Ask yourself this. If you are in the market for a bike, would you buy one a few years old if it costs the same as a new one?

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:42 AM

I do not choose to ride HD any more. I have invested my $$$ else where. However I do have a great deal of exp with HD. I have been involved with them since 1984, in one way or another. As for the MSRP selling price... if you call dealers today you will find they are selling for list or not much over. The old (last 5-7 yrs or so)days of selling HD's for 2-4K over retail are over. May find some models like Fat boys etc. a bit over retail but that's it. Sorry your friends got raped by the dealers but that is what dealers do... I know I would only get about 75% what I could sell my bike for on the street from a dealer. You gotta expect that.

As for resale on HD it's still there.... look at a sport bike that is 3yrs old... maybe pd 10K for it new and now it's 6K? that's 40% off the top...

Take the same year as an HD.... Maybe lose 10%. Check it out if you don't believe me. Places like ebay are not a good example... there are a lot of hd's way over priced on there.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to veektor
Quote:
I think practically all kids' dirtbikes have this kind of depreciation rate. I haven't priced adult dirtbikes much, but I've gotten the same impression from the times I looked around.

Signature unreadable...
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:53 AM

Ok dealers will try to make money, and It doesnt matter what they are selling. Still, I wonder if maybe the differences arent geographical. A good friend of mine used to work at a hd dealership, the biggest in texas. I'd frequent the place regulalry (imagine the looks I got walking around in full leathers LOL)
Bikes selling at MSRP+2k were completely expected. MSRP+4k was common. On V-rods, or other special editions (anything rare) MSRP+10k was seen regulalry. That dealership sold several $37k vrods the first year they had them. Well, just goes to show ya that there is one born everyminute.

Depreciation on a 4 year old bike seemed to run in the 50% range. And thats not counting the initial increased price, and the extensive modifications, that everyone just has to do to their HD (chrome everything right? Makes ya faster)

Perhaps its a local phenomena. After all bikes are sold in texas like crazy. And HD name carries a whole lot of weight around here. So if people are buying them, who can blame the dealers for selling?

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:56 AM

good point... the larger the dealer the more traffic they have they can hold on to the bikes longer and get a higher price... the smaller the dealer usually.... the better the pricing.

My father has a HD franchise in Northern maine. He got into HD in 1984. I grew up there on weekends after school etc. I have seen how they operate from the inside... and still follow them a bit. I have to say they are an amazing success story comming from the old AMF days when they couldn't be given away.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 05:56 PM

It is rumored that harley didnt even design the vrod engine but they paid an italian company to do so...rumor or truth the vrod sucks in my book ..over priced harley junk...
By the way my brother owns a 1998 harley and has spent more hours working on it than riding it.. I just cruise by and smile riding my HONDA VFR800 1999 model...

keep it upright and between the ditches..lol
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nailer45
It is rumored that harley didnt even design the vrod engine but they paid an italian company to do so...rumor or truth the vrod sucks in my book ..over priced harley junk...
By the way my brother owns a 1998 harley and has spent more hours working on it than riding it.. I just cruise by and smile riding my HONDA VFR800 1999 model...

Actually, It's well known that the V-rod motor was a work between Porshe and HD. The V-rod never really caught on over here. From what I understand the Europen market really likes them.

I always scratch my head with all the HD's break down all the time talk. I've been around HD's almost all my life. The only bike I ever remember seeing problems with was an old 76 Shovel Head. Than again I think most of the problems was due to age. Since I wrecked my scoot, I've been riding around on an Electra Glide Classic to get my two wheeled fix. It's not fast, nor does it handle anything like a sport bike. On the other hand it does one thing very well, It cruises. If I was going to do any real long distance riding , two up or alone I would look at buying one in a heart beat. It will cruise 75/90 all day long. The more I ride it the more I get used to throwing it around. Already scraped the floor boards on it. Plus attempting figure 8's on somethig that big is always fun. Some bikes are over priced. Then again, some of the touring bikes are prettty close in price to their foreign counterparts. I dunno what it is...A bike is a bike is a bike to me. If it has two wheels I'll ride it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode