V-Rod finished last - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 10:57 PM

Vacation?

College boy eh?

Seriously, to each his own. It was my fault for engaging in a dispute with anyone who would own a Harley. I know better than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 11:11 PM

Christmas holiday week, plus some vacation saved up.

And since my heart is getting softer by the minute ... your R1 would be a perfect bike for the roads/canyons nearby. If in the garage I would opt for the R1 keys versus H-D most of the time, but the mother of my children wouldn't be as happy.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 11:57 PM

See, that's why I abstain from sex altogether. No kids, no wife, which means you can drink all the bourbon, own all the assault rifles, and ride whatever you feel like, whenever you feel like.

It takes some 'mental mastery', but not banging anybody allows you to focus that sexual tension on other things, which are more important, such as target practice, motorcycles, and drinking until you have alcohol poisoning.

But then again, I'm sideways (crazy)

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have been shopping for a twin for touring for some years now. Problem is that the Goldwing is the best bike I have test ridden so far in terms of doing the most things for long distance riding (as in across the U.S.). I still like the twins, however. If Kawasaki would offer the Vulcan 2000 in a hard bagger and faired version, I'd buy it tomorrow. So as of right now my interest is in the Vulcan Nomad and the no longer produced Valkyrie Interstate (not a twin but a heck of a bike for cruising). I can buy a 2000 or 2001 Valkyrie Interstate for about ten grand with low miles.

I really like the softtail deuce but it doesn't do enough for me to buy it. It is not a tourer. You can buy factory hard bags but it just can't ride two up that comfortably compared to a Road King or a Road Glide. Still, of all the Harleys, the Deuce is the best looking in my opinion. The other one I like is the '71 Superglide. That was Willie G.'s first "custom" fashion statement. I'd love to own one.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 08:51 AM

Fuster,

Thought of your v-twin touring search last night when I was reading an article in Motorcycle Cruising about an annual wintertime run by a motrocycle club. Lasts all night. The author was aboard a Moto Guzzi California EV Touring bike. $13,500. Had never considered a Guzzi for this but it was well reviewed, looked nice set-up for touring, and it offers one of the most soulful twins. Easily overlooked. Could look into if you have a Guzzi dealer in the region.

Yeah, I know Gold Wings live for for the long haul, but they're just a little too clinical for me, along with the BMW K1200LT. It was a reason I traded the Valk Tourer for a Duc 900ss. How about that for a change .

Nomads/Vulcans are sweet. Saw a dark green one once that was outstanding. The Yamaha Touring rigs are expensive. Speaking of cost and since your affection for H-D's run deep , many say a great v-twin touring bargain out there is the base and unadorned Harley Electra Glide Standard. Has everything you need, but without some chrome doo-dads, and fancy accessories. A good bike to start something with. And for a Harley, only $14,500. Many are surprised by this and the Electra Glides review well.

Yes, a Deuce wouldn't be great for touring, and they look lame with bags. Same as a V-Rod with bags .

Last edited by sfarson; 12-23-2004 at 08:57 AM.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Well, that is why they make Road Glides and Road Kings. I am with you about the clinical nature of the fully dressed tourers including the Electra Glide (I have a friend who just bought one).

I test rode a Guzzi. It is fast. It has some quirks that I do not like, such as the wierd brake pedal set up and the heel toe shifter is too small for my size 12.5 foot. If you ever try it, and you got a big foot, you'll know why I don't like it. You can, however, actually buy them for under MSRP for last year or previous year models. I do like the engine. I just wish they would address those ergonomics. The seating position is almost perfect but the heel toe shifter has to be changed for me to buy one.

I had a '87 Yamaha Venture Royale (first gen. Venture). See picture in my Photo Gallery. I loved it. The V Four is one of my favorite, maybe my favorite, motors. I could spin the rear tire at 60 mph on the freeway by just opening the throttle in top gear all the way. That, my friend, is POWER. The bad part is they are topheavy at slow speeds and the top end is very difficult to service due to clearance with the frame. Very difficult. Sold it. But I want another one with hard bags and at least the capacity for intercom and on board stereo system. So far the Vulcan Nomad is my first choice.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 08:08 AM

Your Guzzi comment about the foot heal/toe configuration was exactly the key complaint and issue the reviewer had with his test Guzzi!

Good luck with the tourer seach.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 01:06 PM

Blah, blah, blahh blahhh blah,,

Have any of those arguing every rode a V-rod?

The best cruiser out there IMHO, is the Yamaha Royal Star liquid cooled 1400 cc V-4.

2003 ZR-7S
1999 Husqvarna CR 125
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 10:24 PM

my neighbor i ride with has one, and i love it. i wouldnt pay that kind of money, but i still love it and love riding it.

he also has a fatboy

he also really really wants a sportbike and might buy one of mine

and i bet he wont want his harleys as bad n e more, haha
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 05:24 AM

Please send a note down to hell. Weather is going to be abit cold. I'm out to defend a harley.

No, really, follow me on this one. Ignore the original v-rod. The one that was selling for double MSRP. Hey, I cant really blame the dealers for that one, people were buying them. If someone came up to me and offered me $20k for my bike, I'd sell it too.
So lets look at MSRP 17k. Thats abit high, but not too bad in comparison to 13k cruisers. After all the HD name carries some weight to some people, and that could be worth extra. I mean, people buy dicati's right?
But the first V-rod had its flaws. Sails for wheels, and no ground clearance, and way too much rake. Next year, enter the street rod. Now there is an impressive machine. This one does go (sort of) fast, Turns well, stops well. For a cruiser. Please dont compare that to a sportbike, of course it doesnt stand a chance. Compare it to the power cruisers of the other 4. The numbers start looking better, only at a higher price. Assuming reliability is up to par, this is not a bad bike. I wouldnt say its the best, but it is the best step HD has taken. Cmon guys, they are on the right track, give them some encouragment.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode