Undecided - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: What bike?
Yamaha Warrior 19 63.33%
Kawasaki Mean Streak 6 20.00%
Other (please describe) 5 16.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MSFINSTRUTORFL Send a message via Yahoo to MSFINSTRUTORFL
Arrow Undecided

I just sold my 99 GSX-R 750. I loved that bike but my wife and my back couldnt take the ride anymore. There were no long trips for me. My problem is, I want a Bike with power, some handling (i will compromise, its going to be cruiser), and it must have looks. I have boiled myself down to two motorcycles. The Yamaha Warrior and the Kawasaki Mean Streak. I have yet to ride these bikes but if you have some imput or another choice, please let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The More You Know, The Better It Gets..

Check me out at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 03:38 PM

MSFINSTRUTORFL

I can easily understand your frustration with the GSXR. I have ridden just about everything on two wheels at one time or another. The GSXRs are great bikes, but I can't ride one for more than a few miles without wishing I was back home. I think you jumped into the sportbike 'thing' without doing your homework first, and now your planning on making the same mistake again. The more aggressive sportbikes and the cruisers are both about as uncomfortable a bike as you can find. The GSXR has your chin on the gas tank and the cruiser has you sitting on the floor touching your toes. These are both exaggerations, but they do outline the basic problem.

For me, the cruisers are all about style and nothing else. Riding a cruiser is about the same thing as driving a school bus, except the school bus handles and performs a little better. You're overlooking a couple dozen bikes that would provide far more comfort and performance too. For example, my 170 hp ZX-11 has incredible power and I've ridden it over 121,000 miles. With just a few comfort changes, it is a comfortable as anything I've ever ridden. The magazines regularly downplay some of the best bikes, often for some very silly and easily correctable problem. At the same time, they rarely even look into any of the important servicing issues. Most of the cruisers appear to be easy to work on, but the truth is very different. For example, I just repaired a leaking valve cover gasket on a Vulcan and while this is a fairly simple job on any sportbike, it required complete removal of the engine, radiator, electrical and coolant connections, etc. Talk about pathetic engineering. Here again, it's style over function. An $8.50 gasket cost him $250.00.

I have many times seen people reject a particular machine because the seat was too hard or for some other minor thing. But when the bike is fundamentally uncomfortable, as nearly all cruisers are, you'll be stuck again. Many cruiser buyers are impressed with the showroom 'comfort', and sitting position but after riding one for a few hours at 70 mph, a different realization emerges. Riding the Mean Streak or any Harley, for that matter is like being in a parade, everyone will wave and give you the thumbs up, but personally I think there’s more to motorcycling than just that. So, look before you leap.

So many bikers these days rarely go ‘riding’ anyway. They just go ‘stopping’. I’ve tried riding with some of my Harley friends, but it’s frustrating beyond words. They stop for everything and then do everything possible to extend every stop. They routinely spend all day and barely get out of town. They are simply compensating for an incredibly uncomfortable ride, but none of them will ever admit it. You are one of the few that has been able and honest enough to critically evaluate his current ride.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 12:49 PM

Thumbs up RE: Cruiser choices

I was in a similar position as you, though I was keeping my ZX9R. I was down to the 2 choices you listed: Warrior or Mean Streak. Everyone has something that will inevitably make the choice for them, power, looks, features etc. For me it was the looks and wifey said it was more comfy for her than the Warrior. The Warrior has more power but the Streak has looks, handling(real susp.) and wicked brakes. Can you guess which one I have? I have attached a pic, now mine has been customized so take that into account when comparing!

Chuck McConnell, A+,MCSE.
'01 ZX9R--Firecracker Red, Purplish Black Mica.
"Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner"
Personal Land Speed Record: 175mph.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 01:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Go with something like this........

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Just F**k**g Around......

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MSFINSTRUTORFL Send a message via Yahoo to MSFINSTRUTORFL
Re: RE: Cruiser choices

Quote:
Originally posted by Hypurone
I was in a similar position as you, though I was keeping my ZX9R. I was down to the 2 choices you listed: Warrior or Mean Streak. Everyone has something that will inevitably make the choice for them, power, looks, features etc. For me it was the looks and wifey said it was more comfy for her than the Warrior. The Warrior has more power but the Streak has looks, handling(real susp.) and wicked brakes. Can you guess which one I have? I have attached a pic, now mine has been customized so take that into account when comparing!
So what do you think of the handling on the Mean Streak? I know its no sportbike but does it do riding the justice it deserves?

DaveL, just to let you (not being an ass or anything), I did all my research on the sportbike thing before I jumped into it. I rode near every sportbike out there. I found the GSXR (at that time) to be the bike for me. But now its a time for change. Im looking for a cruiser that gives me the thrill of riding and more comfort. I have ridden the Iron Butt on a road king. It was the most comfortable ride ever. Riding position and all. I have a few harley rider friends who do the same thing, stop every where. I personally feel they are just afraid of riding. They all have air-suspension seats and Evolution motors. They are just wimps... anyways, thank you all for your opinons.

The More You Know, The Better It Gets..

Check me out at
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 12:58 PM

I've got an '02 Mean Streak and love it. For a Cruiser, I think it's pretty comfortable. I think it handles well also. Even the magazines rate the handling as good and the brakes are real good. One of the magazines (Motorcycle Cruiser) just named it as the overall cruiser of the year.
In its stock form, it's not real fast. But I'm not drag racing so it's OK. I just added a V&H Propipe and made some air and fuel adjustments and it is now faster. I added the pipe for a little more sound, not because it wasn't fast enough.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 04:16 PM

Mean Streak

>>So what do you think of the handling on the Mean Streak? I know its no sportbike but does it do riding the justice it deserves?<<

To put it simply, "Hell YES"! Better than any other cruiser you're gonna find. After you get used to the limited ground clearance and adjust your lean to such, you can really superbike it thru the turns. I hate the dunlops that it came with but I'm just about ready to get my Metzelers!! You will probably end up like me and upgrade the suspension even more, 'cause you can! The brakes are second to none in the cruiser category and it has stump pulling torque. I can ride it all day and when I get home, I'm ready to go again! Enjoy whatever you get.

Chuck McConnell, A+,MCSE.
'01 ZX9R--Firecracker Red, Purplish Black Mica.
"Life is not AROUND the corner, Life IS the corner"
Personal Land Speed Record: 175mph.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 02:18 PM

This is my cruiser I built a few years ago. Wife doesn't ride with me since our daughter was born. Not for the faint of heart....

Don't Dream It, Do It!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 02:16 AM

I picked the warrior just cause I like the giant torpedo tube on the side

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode