Oh baby. The 1985 GSXR 750 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Oh baby. The 1985 GSXR 750

Does it get any better than this.

At 17 ... back in 1987 .. definitely not. It was financed up to the screen, and I had no money for gloves or helmet.

I rode round with a second hand blue and silver helment, jeans and sneakers. The visor was so scratched I could see ferk all.

When I went into the showroom to take it for a test drive the salesman laughed at me. He politely explained that if I brought him a cheque I could do what ever the ferk I wanted with it ...

Sadly I was all a bit 17yo stupid back then, so I did just that.

The steering lock was shite, and compared to the little wee 400 I had just sold, it was a big bike. It was the first time I had even sat on a true sport bike, unless you count the GS1000. Either way, this thing made we feel like my arse was 6 feet of the ground, and my head 3 feet.

I had to do a u-turn leaving the showroom, up a slight rise. Up I went, started to turn it ... then a cold sickly sweat hit me as I stopped in the middle of the road, with the bike going over. I stuck my leg out and strained with all I had to stop it going down.

I saved it ... just. Oh to have been that salesman, ferk he must have laughed.

On the way home a tractor pulled out in front of me ... so I hit the brakes ... I stopped about 100m from the tractor and AGAIN looked like a complete ferk.

Still ..... at the time, I thought I was the bees knees, and in the end surely that is all that matters. Ah, you just have got to love bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cimg6272.jpg (191.5 KB, 116 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

:-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cimg6273.jpg (119.7 KB, 113 views)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:00 AM

Haha I bet that sales guy still tells the story.

I've been agreeing with you more than I'm comfortable with lately Ledge but boy you've got it in one, nothing like those old school memories of early biking days - I wanna know how did we all survive???

The first roadie I even had the pleasure of was my bigger bro's RG500 (why not hey??). I'll never forget trying to turn the bars (like my YZ mx-er of the time) to get that bastid around the first corner I came to... how I didn't go straight up the gutter I'll never know He would have killed me.

After recovering from that near disaster, I figured I'd give it some on a straight bit - fark me I stained the undies as I felt warp speed for the first time.... I mean compared, the thing couldn't pull the top off a rice pudding, but I was hooked!!!

I'll have to dig out a pic or two.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:50 AM

1985 : The Tender Age of 17

I did a deal with my mother when I was 17 that if she helped me buy my first car then I would not own a motorcycle before I was 30.

I thought that I'd be the proud owner of a Fiesta XR2 at the time, by my mother thought a 1.1L Bravo was more the go.

I guess it was the same for everyone else of our age vintage but we were brought up on The Professionals and The Sweeney .... when car chases involved villains in Old Jags and the cops in Fords and Rovers.

My poor little Fiesta was driven into the ground in 5 minutes flat which left me wondering how to kill the next 13 years before I could get me a decent bike......

And then guess what ... the first one was a Trumper .. Sprint ST ..... but it wasn't long before the Track beckoned....

Blue Cat
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 06:20 AM

1965: an even tenderer 16

Me furst bike was one of these though not this one. 350cc, eighteen quid, must have been about 1950 vintage. I had it apart countless times, polished the valves and flywheel rim, fitted a mechanical fuel injector, totally teenage nuts; probably the power went from 16 bhp to 15. Had no fear in those days: one day going round a tight left-hander near home I knew well, I wondered what would happen if I opened the throttle wide mid-turn. One second later I was sliding on my arse of course; lucky nothing came the other way. I had a Lambretta too so I could do Mod or ROcker depending how I felt that day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg norton model 50.jpg (80.3 KB, 104 views)

1-4 The Road
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 AM

fist bike

my first bike was a 69' Bridgestone 100 TMX has anyone heard of these? I recovered it after it sat in a barn for 20 years, paid 20 dollors for it but figured out it would cost me way to much to get it running. I gave it to my friend who replaced some ignition parts which they had no clue as to wether yamaha parts would work or not! It was run hard for a few years, including being ghost ridden off my buddies motocross jumps and shortly after covered in a ditch by a dozer loader. I think it could be worth some money some day, ill be out there digging it up if so! here is a pic http://www.bridgestonemotorcycle.com/images/BSGP.jpg

Ferrari Fast!!!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Tug

Memory lane (for those who are not too senile to remember)

First bike was bought with my supermarket shelf stacking wages which were supplemented with the sale of unwanted items that somehow managed to end out in the skip when I threw out the rubbish
Still a skool and feeling rich I got a 1974 XL125 a bit like this one. It was the most polished bike in the world and I believe if Id kept it any longer Id have worn through the casings with Autosol and my Dads shirt. I managed to crash into everything and once went straight through the next doors hedge while pretending to be Sammy Millar on Mums rockery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xl125.jpg (38.8 KB, 92 views)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Tug

Later

After leaving skool in Teesside when unemployment was over 28% I realised that fumbling around an a skip at midnight twice a week wasnt exacctly a long term career so I pioneered the first YOP scheme While on the dole I went round all the car dealers and offered to work for a month for free and if after that I impressed them they would give me an apprenticeship. Eventually I impressed Mr Appleyard so much he offered me an apprenticeship on the same pay as my dole money I was making more in the skip but with OT Id clear about 30 quid a week so I could get pissed twice a week and pay an instalment on one of these Compared to the barely running X7 that I aquired in between the CBX was a rocket ship and I still amazed that I actually survived the experiance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cbx550.jpg (60.1 KB, 93 views)
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Re: Memory lane (for those who are not too senile to remember)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tug
I managed to crash into everything and once went straight through the next doors hedge while pretending to be Sammy Millar on Mums rockery

Blue Cat
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Dropped a KH 250 on black ice and it disappeard through a hedge 50 meters away. Took me 10 mins to find. Then another 20 to moto cross across a ploughed field to the nearest gate as i couldn't get the farkin thing back through the hedge. Got to work lookin like Sammy Miller!

Had to use my step ladder to change a light bulb cos i don't get on with my real ladder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode