Valencia - What a weekend - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Valencia - What a weekend

6 in a row eh GD??

What a fantastic race weekend on all fronts.

The 125cc race was great, good to see the crowd going nuts after the local lad won. The 250's was as good, with Alex de Angelis finally taking his 1st win in something like 113 starts.. (Sound familiar Jenson??) And once again the Local (well, close) hero taking the laurels in the title race (Anyone else wonder about Dovizioso's tactics??)

But even the best of the Armchair generals couldn't have predicted what happened in the Moto GP class.

GD will likely be telling us that Bayliss not only had the talent all along but now deserves a full time GP ride again (Does anyone else get the Aussie commentary??), and BP will laughing all the way to the Leeds no doubt after Hayden's unforeseen victory.

And Dani is probably breathing a HUGE sigh of relief after the Estoril shocker he had.

Knew I bought a Repsol for a reason... Now I can flog it to a Yank at an overinflated price and go buy a proper bike...

Report from mcnews:

The 2006 MotoGP World Championship was all set for an exciting finale at Valencia with Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) heading into the round with an eight point buffer over Nicky Hayden (Honda) after the young American was crash tackled out of a sure good points finish at Estoril a fortnight earlier. The result of that disaster allowed Rossi to turn what had been a 12 point deficit to Hayden into an eight point advantage heading into the decider at Valencia. The simple maths of the equation dictated that Hayden needed to score nine more points than Rossi to take the title and a number of scenarios could see that happen. If Hayden won and Rossi finished third or worse then the title would be Hayden's but if Hayden was to finish second then Rossi would need only fifth. If Hayden took third then Rossi would only need a ninth place finish and the odds got considerable worse for the American from thereon down. If Rossi was to crash out of the race then Hayden would only need to finish seventh to clinch the prized #1 plate.
Rossi scored the first psychological victory of the weekend with his fifth pole position of the year but it was no clear victory as the entire top ten were covered by only 7-tenths of a second and all had put in times under the pole position record set by Sete Gibernau in 2005. The surprise performance in qualifying came from Troy Bayliss (Ducati) who was enjoying a wild card ride on Gibernau's Desmosedici due to the Spaniard being sidelined with a collarbone injury. Loris Capirossi made it two Ducati men on the front row while Hayden lined up in the middle of the second row sandwiched between Shinya Nakano (Kawasaki) and Repsol Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa.

Rossi failed to capitalise on his pole position however as his Yamaha bogged a little on the line but there were no such problems for GP wildcard Bayliss who led Ducati team-mate Capirossi through turn one but only corners later Dani Pedrosa split the pair to take second place. Hayden sat in fourth place ahead of Stoner and Melandri while Rossi chased from seventh position.

Lap two saw Hayden move past Capirossi for third place and then immediately moved onto the back of team-mate Pedrosa and half a lap later Pedrosa let Hayden through to second place. Pedrosa's job from thereon would involve protecting Hayden from any rear attack but the young Spaniard had his hands very full in that task with Melandri, Capirossi, Stoner, Rossi and Vermeulen all right on his tail. It only took Melandri a lap to put his Fortuna Honda up to third place while Hayden had his head down to chase race leader Bayliss who enjoyed nearly a second buffer but Hayden quickly trimmed that down to only a couple of tenths a lap later.

Then on lap four Rossi's Yamaha slipped out from underneath him in a tight left hander. The reigning World Champion had not looked comfortable from the start and appeared to be saving front end tucks and rear end breakaways right from the race start but there was certainly no warning for him when he was pitched down the road. The Italian picked himself and his Yamaha up out of the gravel trap and rejoined the circuit in 20th position some 25 seconds behind the race leader.

While that would certainly take some pressure off Hayden he still had his hands full as Melandri and Capirossi were closing in from the rear as they all continued to chase Troy Bayliss. Casey Stoner also looked to be coming on strong and was within striking distance of fifth placed Dani Pedrosa.

Loris Capirossi slotted his Desmosedici under Hayden for second place on lap seven of the 30 lap race.

At the back of the field Rossi had moved up the order thanks to Hofmann crashing out of the race and on lap nine caught and passed the 800cc Ilmor prototype machine ridden by Garry McCoy.

Dani Pedrosa went up the inside of Melandri with 18 laps to run but ran in way too deep and lost the position right back to Melandri and another place to Stoner. Meanwhile at the head of the field Bayliss had half a second advantage over Capirossi while Hayden continued to chase the Ducati duo. A lap later Hayden closed right onto the tail of Capirossi who had lost half a second on Bayliss on the previous lap. Chris Vermeulen then crashed out which along with a pass on Ellison promoted Rossi to 14th place but the Italian was a full 14 seconds behind his next target which was 13th placed Makoto Tamada who was engaged in battle with Carlos Checa.

Pedrosa managed to get back past Stoner and Melandri with 12 laps to run to move back up to fourth place but that battle was unfolding five seconds behind third placed Hayden who continued to sit on the tail of Capirossi with the pair a full second behind race leader Bayliss.

Hayden lost a little ground on Capirossi on lap 19 and 20 to be 8-tenths of a second behind the Italian and 1.5 seconds down on Bayliss. The American still enjoyed a handy 4.5 second buffer over his fourth placed team-mate. With eight laps to run Capirossi had trimmed Bayliss' lead to only half a second.

Casey Stoner had a problem on lap 24 and slipped all the way down to the back of the field which promoted Rossi to 13th place and another championship point.

By lap 26 Hayden had really buttoned it off to try and ensure a safe run home to the flag and was 4 seconds behind Capirossi and Bayliss but still enjoyed a four second buffer over Pedrosa.

Bayliss had responded to the determined advances of his team-mate and stretched his lead back out to 8-tenths of a second with two laps to run. As they got the last lap board the difference was 7-tenths of a second and that was too much for Capirossi to claw back and Bayliss went on to take a flag to flag win to lead his team-mate home for a brilliant Ducati 1-2. The big story of course was the man who took the bottom step on the podium was the happiest of all. The Kentucky Kid, Nicky Hayden, call him what you like but his favourite tagline will be the one he has worked all his life toward, that is of course the title of MotoGP World Champion. The emotion of the moment overcame the affable American as he dropped to his knees on the racetrack and the crowd carried him to light a huge string of firework bangers.

Hayden had regained his composure by the time he reached Parc de Ferme to the adulation of his family who were all on hand to enjoy the moment of becoming only the second rider in history to score a come from behind win in the title race at the final round. The last time that happened was when Wayne Rainey took the title from Mick Doohan in 1992 when the Australian was still recovering from massive injuries sustained in a crash earlier in that season.

And now - A word from our Sponsor!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl_06gp16_2648_an.jpg (39.5 KB, 93 views)

Chumley

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

"Flying is easy... You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 04:12 PM

Unforeseen victory my arse. I've been tellin you knobs for ages. And to be a world champ you have to ride consistently ALL season.
Rossi screwed the start up and then binned it. Loved the MCN thing. "slide from underneath him". Like he had fak all to do with it. Rossi sheep the farkin lot of em.

Tugs theory was best. He reckoned the CIA had a sniper who took out Rossi's front. Gallons of Stella Artois may have generated this cracker thou.

To be honest i was dissappointed Capriossi didn;t have a crack at Baywatch. You can;t argue with a start to finish win but it still sucks. He had his chance in Moto GP and missed the boat. End of story.

Did i mention my boy WON THE FARKIN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Had to use my step ladder to change a light bulb cos i don't get on with my real ladder.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 02:57 AM

I'm still stunned, who would have thought that BP could have got it so right!!! All credit to you and I just hope you had a lobster or two on him at 7:1??

I was just wrapped to see someone else (even a yank) take the title and yes Chum I agree that Troy should get another shot at it full time next year, haha

Have to say the motogp year far outweighed the supers, first time that's happened in the past few though

Bring on these 800's and let's see My early monies on the new kids coming good for 2007 (Stoner and Peddy will be hard to beat)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hayden.jpg (146.9 KB, 79 views)

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:46 PM

Great pic there GD

My monies gotta be with Pedro next year..followed by Melandri.
Rossi will be up front even if they give him Coco the clowns tricycle.

Reckon my boy ( yeah the CURRENT WORLD CHAMPION) will struggle with the 800's.

Not sure about stoner...thats a tricky one. He's quick thats for sure but somehow never seems to bring it all together for a whole race. Mmmmmh maybe the 800's just what he needs.

Baywatch ...forget it ...Just dont like the bloke.

Is chugga checka on a Duke next year ????

Had to use my step ladder to change a light bulb cos i don't get on with my real ladder.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:05 PM

on the other side

Biaggi cometh back to racing in WSBK!!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 01:58 AM

My only concern for the Hayden championship is the fact that he only had 2 wins all year - I mean 3 others had more than the outright champion!!!

Yeah, yeah consistancy and all that, but I want a winner who is hands down the best out there, and unfortunatley, good on him but Nicky is not that

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Careless Chucker

Quote:
Is chugga checka on a Duke next year ????
Not that I'm aware of mate - The duke line up for 07 as far as I am aware is Capiroska and Stoner..

There is a picture in the latest UK 'BIKE' Mag of Pedro on the new Repsol 800. He actually makes it look like a normal sized bike...

GD - The fact that Haybale didn't win the most races in my eyes makes him a better champ. I got fed up with watching the F1 years back cos the likes of Mansell, Prost, Senna and Shoemaker were winning 9 times a year.

That said, I hear your point about someone who is the 'best'. And Haybale aint that (Shame - I quite like the bloke until he opens that Kentucky Gob of his)

Chumley

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

"Flying is easy... You just have to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 04:59 PM

I quite fancied his sister in that low cut top she had on ...

Blue Cat
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 07:09 PM

i can deal with the fact he's a champ, a yank, his mouth. It's that farkin stupid dance that does my head in

Whats with you guys. He won the champion ship according to the rules. Most points wins ..End of story .
Just a bunch of farkin sore loosers. However you knock a 5 times world champion and motorcycling God off his perch ( for a year)doesn,t matter.
Unlike Haydon who got knocked off by his team mate ( what would you lot have said if Edwards had knocked Rossi off eh???)
Rossi fluffed it on the day. Screwed the start and then dumped it.
Don't forget he chose to go to Yamaha ...nobody made him !!!!

BC ..his sister owns her own trailer and does great chicken wings

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 PM

Boycie was wondering if she plays the Trombone ?

Blue Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode