Round 2 Zhuhai Pan delta super rac....... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Talking Round 2 Zhuhai Pan delta super rac.......

Right Gents

Another report from round 2 of the Pan Delta Super Racing Festival in Zhuhai. This was the second round of the series (different to shanghai races) and Zhuhai track has actually secured a title sponsor. Meaning we had Live TV coverage all afternoon on 9 TV stations across China………….. The DVD should be out soon so anyone who wants copies, or is interesting in coming over here for a few races and wants to see what it’s all about, let me know. There were basically 3 classes of cars, including formula 3000 and 2 classes of bikes. Unfortunately (for the 600’s) we were in the same start.

Friday morning went well with a practise and qualifying. I have just picked up a wide band commander and so between sessions, I spent most of the morning with the bike in bits, prodding a mulit-meter at anything that resembled an ignition timer or throttle position. Anyway, finally got it going and managed to collect some interesting data which was put to good use changing my map on my power commander. I will give A Hoy credit, the map he sent me some time ago was pretty good although did lack slightly on 100% throttle. Looking at the data for Zhuhai, I only have the throttle wide open for 14% of the time. 40% I have it closed and the rest (of course) – in between.

I managed a 7th place in first qualifying, slightly different to Shanghai (due to the level of guys who race down here). First race was dry, I managed to clawed my way up to forth place after an average start. Towards the end of the race everyone’s tyres were going off since it was rather hot and we were all on medium compounds on top of this my fitness is not what it should be and I slipped back to 6th place after a few mistakes on the slow corners.

Sunday was again, cloudy with a high chance of rain. We had a dry warm up session in the morning. There was a bit of an interesting incident on the front straight in the Formula 3000 race. A back marker dropped out of the race and pulled over off the racing line onto the white line. The leader came round the last turn and tried to block second place, forcing him into the rear of the stationary car at the side of the track at about 200km/hr. The blocked car hit the pit wall and fortunately the cockpit remained intact and there were no serious injuries.

20 minutes before our race the heavens opened and it turned into full tropical rain. There was a frantic rush to change wheels which always adds a bit of atmosphere to the pits. I had a blinding start and actually pushed all the way through to 2nd place however I lost it pretty quickly mid way through the 2nd corner. 2 turns later and in 4th place I high sided coming out of turn 4. Nothing broken and just a little sore. The usual on the bike too, pegs and fairings. It was in front of all the cameras so I will be interested to see that when it is released.

Anyway, a blinding weekend had by all and I would thoroughly recommend a trip over here for an event.

Next race is
Round 3 2nd weekend in July
Round 4 mid August
Round 5 December

Since we have a break between August and December, 5 or 6 of us are planning a “rape n pillage” trip to Malaysia and the MSS.

Watch this space!

Will
Lee Harvey Oslwald - Where are you now that we need you??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

pictures

Race 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s3_1.jpg (294.1 KB, 53 views)

Will
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

more pics

Yamaha full factory R6 (almost)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 089.jpg (63.5 KB, 51 views)

Will

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

sneaky!

and again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 095.jpg (36.1 KB, 50 views)

Will
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

race 1

tustle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s8_3.jpg (258.6 KB, 51 views)

Will
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

last one

Will
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

last one

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s14_1.jpg (257.7 KB, 50 views)

Will
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:50 PM

Good write up BBQ and some good pics too. What kinda times did you manage in the wet?? ( bet that was fun)
Quite fancy a trip to Zhuhai again and i've got an open visa too

Lets see if Tug can make it for a drinking session and of course we'll tell you exactly what you are doing wrong

Had to use my step ladder to change a light bulb cos i don't get on with my real ladder.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Wet times........?

I only managed 3 and a half turns so don't know about my wet lap times. Dry i was doing a 1.43's

Zhao (Chinese lad that wins everything) was doing a staggering 1.49 in the wet, thats only 10 seconds slower than his dry times!

If you get the chance to come over - Zhuhai on even a quiet day is fun

Will
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:17 AM

I can see he's quick....he's got 3 bike lenghts into T1

I'll see how the "pissy weekend" piggy bank is looking! it's had a fair battering this year already
Whats the deal with media passes at Zhuhai...wouldn't mind taking some video

Had to use my step ladder to change a light bulb cos i don't get on with my real ladder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode