Shanghai support race - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Shanghai support race

Will and I managed to get through the first practice and first qulifying runs in very wet conditions today without falling off. Will was very confident on race wets (Michelins) with a best of 2m33 (3rd fastest of 24). That makes Rossi's 2m09 completely awesome - none of our bunch gets near that in the dry.

As for me, of course I'm slow in favourable conditions, and this was first time on this track on a bike I've never ridden (K636) with zero km on the clock, and of course the rain. But mainly by staying on I managed to come in 16th in a bit under an hour a lap.

The circuit is something else; we all know about the inward-spirally turns, hairpins and mega straights but they don't warn you about the crests ahead of the turns and long blind exits.

Weather is set to improve by tomorrow afternoon if not Sunday morning so should be an excellent weekend.

Thanks to Will for setting me up with BG-Performance and to Steve and his crew for delivering the goods today.

More tomorrow.

1-4 The Road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 08:17 AM

Oh yeah

and a massive thanks to BP, without whom i'd still be looking through the Shanghai phone book under B for BBQ to get his number cos i'm a womble

Keep the shiney side up and the oil in the crank cases ( never get tired of that one ) 1-4

Good luck to the pair of ya

Apart from being very daft in lettin you loose on a brand spanker what do these boys charge for a weekend. Go on Shock us....we're only jealous as F

Had to use my step ladder to change a light bulb cos i don't get on with my real ladder.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Better weather

Dry today, just the usual pollution. A bad day you can't see the tops of the buildings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smog.jpg (57.1 KB, 67 views)

1-4 The Road

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Still alive

Good fun in front of quite a large crowd for 2nd practice and qualifying today, as well as watching the GP guys spring their surprises. Pedrosa, Hopkins, Edwards, Nakano, Gibernau & Stoner all within one second and Rossi in 13th less than one more second back so it'll be a hot race tomorrow.

We divided into two groups: the quick guys who were 'only' 15s quicker than yesterday in the rain, and the newbies and wannabees who were 25s quicker. (The difference for the pros was only 4s; have race wets suddenly got a lot better?). Will is in the first group and is 2nd on the grid with a 2m17, only 0.2 behind poleman He Zi Xian.
I'm in the penultimate row as usual.
Should be dry again tomorrow, looking forward it. The 636s are fully run in now as well, 200km on full-throttle, isn't that what the handbook says.

1-4 The Road
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Pic

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ready.jpg (96.1 KB, 67 views)

1-4 The Road
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Better pic

Me grid girl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my grid girl.jpg (91.3 KB, 67 views)

1-4 The Road
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 05:55 AM

Re: Better pic

Quote:
Originally posted by 1-4 The Road
Me grid girl
coincidentally the numbers on the bikes add up to be 46!

wishful thinking maybe?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Result

Will had a very good race, finishing 2nd as he started, 5s behind He Zi Xian; and improving on his best Q lap with a 2m16. I started 19th and finished 17th out of 22, no better than I deserve.

Huge fun and more excellent support from Steven, John and the team at BG-Performance, thanks a lot guys.

Phil - I haven't seen the bill yet, but it's $xxxx to be sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on grid.jpg (97.0 KB, 59 views)

1-4 The Road
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Awesome spectating

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0013-a.jpg (89.2 KB, 60 views)

1-4 The Road
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 07:58 PM

Shanghai GP

Yeah, as Trevor said, a fantastic weekend - you guys should get yourself over here for the next event. I am sure Trevor can fill you in on the costs and procedures. Basically there are no procedures apart from getting race release from the ACU or where ever. Just Turn up and ride.

We are currently in the wet season in Shanghai and so the weather on Friday was fairly typical. I went to town on the bike on Friday morning, setting it up for the wet which actually paid dividends for my lap times. The full wet tires we were using were something else. Getting them up to temperature was a little tricky however they still allowed the occasional use of the knee pucks. Despite being out of my seat twice in the same lap I still managed to hold together my remaining lives and qualified 3rd fastest (on a different lap). The Korean National Champ (dun think it means very much) on a 636 in 2nd and an English lad Jason Broome on a rocket of a gixer in 1st. He Zi Xian (2005 GP 250 wild card entry) was down in 10th or so with serious setup problems.

Saturday was dry and practise went well. Was very nice to see my name at the top of the timing board in all the booths in pit lane with a 2.18.39..... Qualifying was soon after and I managed to up the pace again to a 2.17.1 however not with out Mr He putting in a blinder with 2 10ths on me. So 2nd on the grid and positioned well for the first right hander which is a really fast up hill decreasing radius. After studying the previous lap times I knew I was the fastest in the first section so entry into the first corner was fairly critical.

Not surprisingly I facked the start and was 4th round the fist one. 2 laps later I was up to second however He Zi Xian was about 3 seconds ahead and nothing I could do would shorten the gap. The 8 lap race was fairly uneventful however I was particularly pleased with my 2.16.2, unfortunately He Zi Xian put in a slightly faster 2.15.9.

I know where I am slow and the changes to the geometry has opened the gate for me so hopefully I should be able to pick up the pace slightly for the next race.

Top Weekend - Cheers !

Will
Lee Harvey Oslwald - Where are you now that we need you??????

Last edited by bbqq021; 05-14-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode