This Was The Day That Was - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

This Was The Day That Was

Mss Round 1
-----------------

First off, want to express heartfelt commiserations to the Silver Bullet, who has maybe got a total loss on his hands after some fucking idiot dumped oil all over the circuit from turn 4 through to the pit lane entrance as he limped back home to lazy, ignorant, experienced or intelligent to figure that leaving a trail of oil on the racin gline might have serious repercussions for those following.

I didn't see where or how Nils came a cropper but it was during Supersport Race 1 and was obviously a big one as his bike was a complete mess. I think there was some talk that the accident may have blown Nils R6's motor as well as his engine casing was cracked but the bike was still running in the gravel?

- - - -

My own weekend was no less eventfull, but very fortunately without the same outcome.

Free practice on Saturday morning was always going to be an interesting affair.... Season opener, with lots of new faces, new bikes and a re worked turn 7. So I wanted to try to get my head down and see where I was going to sit in the grand scheme. Was therefore fairly happy to be 7th, but realised that this would inevitablly change once the qualifying was underway.

Qualifying ...... or lack of it as things turned out. I stayed back in the pits to let the procession of bikes get half way round the lap before coming out to get a decent run at some clear air. Rod scott had the same idea and managed to get out just ahead of me with his ill handling R1 hardtail ! Long story short I was closing the gap in on him after one flying lap when I gassed up out of turn 2 only to see a bike down to my left and simultaneously my own bike started screaming bucking and yawing, throwing me clear out of the saddle. Miraculously I somehow recovered from this to realise that there was oil on the track which evidently was the cause of my near miss. Marshalls were pretty quick with the flags, and I took it gently around the rest of the lap to see that they then red flagged the session. When the session was re-started it decided to piss with rain so no point to go out.

The first Superbike race followed the red flagged and disastrous Supersport event. There was enough cement dust down to suggest that it was a safari rally stage and not a circuit race, but actually track was not too bad. My start was shit and I bogged the engine momentarily before lauching it skywards... 12 on the grid was i think 20 somehting out of turn one leaving some catch up to be done. Got my head down and set about picking my way through the field. Was pretty knackeredby lap 13 but had got back to 8th place and had 7th firmly in my sights ...... Should have left there, as I brake too late down the main straight and trailing the brake into the turn washed out the front end in a Blue Cat special. Daft thing to do really as I was a bit tired to catch it in time, but there you go.

The Boys managed to get the bike back together for Race 2 and I set off from the back of the grid ..... (26 bikes from 33 made the second race if I recall?) .... I got myself up to 14th and was fighting for 13th but made a mis judegement and dind't realise there was a cheeky stalker just behind me or nipped under me and powered to the line .... !!!!

The paintwork's a bit scuffed but bike looks good.

Blue Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:31 AM

Thanks BC, nice report!

Seems like an eventful weekend. Really sorry to hear about Silva's misfortune, I hope the bike is not too badly damaged but sounds like it could be, though. Do you think the guy with the oil was aware of him spewing it on the track? I understand this was the first race for the guy who blew his engine, was his bike in a good condition? Did anyone else go down on the oil?

What's that about turn 7, how has it been changed?

Yellow Peril
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Track Amendments

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow peril
What's that about turn 7, how has it been changed?
Turn 7 has had traffic calming measures installed by the Royal Selangor Council which includes a sleeping policeman bump just on the apex of the corner.

Turn 3 has also been re-modelled, using the Innsbruck ski jump drawings as a blue print.

How many people went down on oil ? I think 7 over the course of Saturday and Sunday.

Blue Cat

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 01:39 AM

Re: Track Amendments

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Catt
Turn 7 has had traffic calming measures installed by the Royal Selangor Council which includes a sleeping policeman bump just on the apex of the corner.

Turn 3 has also been re-modelled, using the Innsbruck ski jump drawings as a blue print.

Thanks for that very informative reply. Now I can picture exactly what the changes are.

They left turn 4 alone then? I thought they were talking of laying cobblestones there to make it a bit more challenging.

Yellow Peril
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 01:46 AM

Correct

YP, I will not even bother to comment on my crash now.
If you have the chance to go around Sepang again you will realize that BC's description is spot on.

Edit:
Sorry about the above answer, came across a bit terse.

Anyway, to put things right:
When trying to even out the hollow that was at the exit of turn 3 it seems like they basically laid down an extra layer of asphalt on top of the existing one. The result being that there is now a small step up when going from the old asphalt onto the new patch. However, the worst part is where the new patch ends. It feels like a 10cm drop in the level between the new asphalt and the old. Hence like a ski-jump. It is just were you really want to get on the throttle exiting the corner so very unsettling on the bike.

What they have done on the reworked turn 7 is basically trying to make it wider. I don't know what kind of foundation they have made (or not), but it feels like they have just laid a layer of tarmac on top of the grass. It's bumpy, slippery and not on level with the rest of the track. Coincidentally this new patch of asphalt also ends exactly where you want to get on the power exiting the turn...

Bullet
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of many—and solution to—all life's problems.

Last edited by Silva Bullet; 04-17-2006 at 07:04 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:05 AM

mss one

Thanks for the news BC we are following it more closely than the MotoGP.
Really pleased you guys are still battling it out _ really sorry about Silvas weekend (no physical pain anyway? look on the bright side).....

N.O.T.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

What A Clutz

I just checked the lap count, and I had actually fought back to be fighting for 6th place when I pulled the rip cord at turn one....

Superbike Lap Count Race One

Blue Cat

Last edited by Blue Catt; 04-17-2006 at 04:45 PM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 07:53 PM

Top report BC, champion.... any pics anywhere??

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

SEXY NILS

I took some pics but the files too big .... found this one of the Silver Bullet in action and on form before things took a terrible turn for the worse...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06-04-17 sexy nils.jpg (83.9 KB, 129 views)

Blue Cat
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:50 AM

Are the results and lap-times posted anywhere?

Yellow Peril
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode