Moto GP in Tugland - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Moto GP in Tugland

So whos going???? The track sure sounds alright.

Now that's a main straight!!!

Rossi predicts tight race on 'incredible' Shanghai circuit

Thursday April 28, 10:51 PM

SHANGHAI (AFP) - World champion Valentino Rossi is predicting a tight race at the inaugural Chinese MotoGP, with no-one having clear advantage on such an "incredible" new circuit.

"Tomorrow we all start from zero. Everyone is in the same situation," said the charismatic Italian master, who only arrived in Shanghai on Thursday morning.

"I've basically done nothing much to prepare for this new circuit. I've seen some pictures of the track, but that's all.

"I think it's going to be hard here. Friday practice will be very important, to understand the setting and the position of the bike."

The Shanghai International Circuit is one of three new venues being used this season and it has won unanimous praise from the top riders, who, like their Formula One counterparts last year, rate it as one of the best.

"It's very impressive, very good. The track is incredible," said the 26-year-old Rossi.

"I expect it to be a fast track. It is very tight, with long corners. But, really, it is like a dream."

The riders' 990cc four-stroke machines are expected to fly down the long straight here at up to 340 kilometres per hour, making them even faster than a Formula One car.

Rossi's Yamaha teammate Colin Edwards said he was dumbstruck when he first set eyes on the 5.45 kilometre track, composed of 16 sweeping curves and a massive straight of 1,175 metres.

"I've not seen anything like it before. It looked like we were coming into an aircraft hanger when we were approaching it. A great job's been done," said the American.

Like most of the riders, he hopped on a scooter Thursday to do a few laps and work out the pitfalls and advantage points.

"The track is new, I've just been trying to memorise it. I've got a good feel about it," he said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shanghai_circuit.jpg (44.8 KB, 60 views)

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Nifty Nev

The live timing is impressive and available from:

MotoGP Live Timing

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:17 PM

Good find GD

Thats neat!!!!!!!!!!!!

So who's yer wonga on then???

I've still got high hopes of Barros and Haydon.
Baywatch will fall off and i dont think Biaggi going anywhere fast!!
( corse the bugger will win now i've said that)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I don't know how you could go past Rossi, he's such a fast learner and the new track sounds fairly quick which would suit him.

Ok off the fence:
1st - Rossi
2nd - Melandri
3rd - Who cares....

Holey fark, look at the top speeds 330+ kph, that's not mucking around

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gixxer_Dave
I don't know how you could go past Rossi, he's such a fast learner and the new track sounds fairly quick which would suit him.

Kinda goes without saying Rossi will be up there. It's a bit like supporting Man United or Ferrari or the England rugby team! No fun at all, they're just too good.

Here's one for ya.
Nearly every year there's a shock win. We've had Tamada, Abe and Macoy to name but a few in recent years.

Who do you think it will be this year???
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigphil
Kinda goes without saying Rossi will be up there. It's a bit like supporting Man United or Ferrari or the England rugby team! No fun at all, they're just too good.

Here's one for ya.
Nearly every year there's a shock win. We've had Tamada, Abe and Macoy to name but a few in recent years.

Who do you think it will be this year???
Kenny Roberts hehe
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 03:39 PM

FAK ME!!!!

Wow... What a race.

Firstly congrats to Casey for making it back to back 250's wins (no I am not becoming soft, or even worse, Australian, but it is good to see talent do well)

Secondly - How must Hoffman feel?

And why was Legend looking dangerously close to getting the winner right? (even though it wasn't to last - scary nevertheless)

Many congrats to Olivier -
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Isn't Stoner a star!!! I'm enjoying the 250's at least as much as the big boys

Well, how about those pig ugly Suzuki's running 1 & 2 for a few corners!!! Poor Kenny must be just about ready to retire after that thing lunched itself again.

What about OJ, top stuff holding it together on the Bridgestones. Was a shame that Rossi got away early as it would have been a blinder if those two had got together

So come on Bbq, where's the weekends run down

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 05:46 PM

top work

You have to love live TV. The camera boys wasted no time walking into the Repsol Honda Garage just as Baggy was getting chased down by the Kwak. The looks on the faces of the Honda bosses as OJ went past Baggy was an absolute picture..

There were likely to be a few people falling on swords back in the land of the rising sun after that...

And did you see Checa's interesting entry to the pits?

if not, here it is again:

http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...Q07HIOSGQTV408

Top stuff Carlos - Shanghai hadn't thought of building water slide parks until yesterday!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 07:17 AM

GP Report

Right Guys,

Well, a little different to the Malaysian GP!!!! Interesting weekend. For a start the schedule was not that great, practice and first qualifying was scheduled for Friday afternoon with about 15 minutes between both of them. Second qualifying and practice was scheduled for the same time on Saturday and the ONLY race was due for 10.30 on Sunday morning. Why oh why could they not schedule 2 races as for the Malaysian GP, who the feck wants to do more qualifying than racing!

Friday morning was a right off, apparently the chopper was 3 hours late and as a result the GP boys could not go out on the track, meaning the dayís schedule was delayed by 3 hours and of course our practice and qualifying was canned. (For safety reasons the big boys cannot go out with out a chopper on location), feck me, they send us out with no marshals, not sure why they could not have run ours first.

Anyway, I had just and all these trick bits sent by Feroz to various people in Hong Kong since you cannot import motorcycle parts directly into China. One of them was a slipper clutch. First lap of practice it felt like they had put the thing in backwards. The clutch would slip in every gear Ė THE WRONG WAY!

Came in (and I will give the mechanics a little credit, however they are a long way from being off the hook) - they changed my clutch back to the stock one in about 35 minutes in the middle of pit lane. I missed all of practice and got out for the last 5 minutes of qualifying. This was after being told I could not rejoin since I had left the main pits. That was sorted with a few stern words to the COC!!!! Put in 3 laps, one of them being a second slower than my best time. Was pretty pleased despite the lack of track time I was getting for my money.

Sunday was a total shit fight! It started to rain about an hour before the start so most people having one set of rims were frantically having tyres changed to full wets. For the race itself it was Malaysian style monsoon rain. Finished the race (many didnít) and learnt a lot about skating on 2 wheels. The race was reduced to 8 laps since they thought they were short of time.

Over the entire 3 day event I did 13 laps on a CBR RR 1000 and 1 lap on a Honda scooter, 50cc! Value for money or WHAT!

Bikes are being shipped back to Hong Kong at the moment and negotiations with another team are under way.

An Aussi guy was came over for the event the previous weekend and the motoGP, Turns out he was good mates with Casey Stoner. Went out with them all on Friday night and was hanging around the pits for some time which was pretty cool, especially when he won. Very interesting to talk to someone that young who knows sooo much about bikes. There something in the back of my mind that told me he was NOT another one of those bullshitters!!!!

Something which I learnt (which I didnít put into practice), The faster you go with rain tyres the more grip you have, which kinda makes sense. Keeping them warm is the key to going fast and the key to going fast is keeping you tyres warm.

Apparently you know when you are sliding because your tyres have reached their limits (and not because they are cold) since you crash. The words from the man himself.

Hopefully the circuit will have their shit together next year.

GP RACING??????? AWESOME!!!!, blagged some VIP passes to watch the main event. What an fantastic finish to the 125ís.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode