Cameron Donald Race School - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Cameron Donald Race School

Trevor started with some comments on the Forum and it would be great to get everyone's feedback on how their track time went.

Cameron has expressed an interest if the support is there to run a race clinic sometime after round one of the MSS.

Even though the club is dissolved there is nothing to stop us from pooling resources to bring him in. Its not cheap though, and remember that this trip is subsidised because Cameron basically isn't charging us for his time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:51 PM

Re: Cameron Donald Race School

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Catt
there is nothing to stop us from pooling resources to bring him in. Its not cheap though, and remember that this trip is subsidised because Cameron basically isn't charging us for his time.
Heh ...lets start a club

( Sorry BC ...couldn't resist)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 07:31 PM

Yesterday Silva and myself spent the day at Pasir Gudang with Cameron. After some intial warm-up laps Cameron spent a few laps with each one of us to spot improvements we could/should make to improve our riding. One thing Cameron picked up for both of us was the body-position preparation going into a corner.

After practicing this for several laps we spent some time on the mental side of racing and riding - "allways have a goal with your riding", ie don't just go out there and ride around, have a specific goal each time you go to the track.

The last session of the day we spent practicing passing manouevers. Cameron would pass us but leave the door open for us passing him back. Very useful and a lot of fun.

By this time I was getting pretty nackered, spending 3 hours on the track in the blazing hot sun had drained me completely so we decided to call it a day at around 3 o'clock.

In summary: A very good day with lots of good advice on how to improve my riding. And, of course, just as importantly - a lot of fun!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 07:55 PM

Yeah, but you forgot the spectators

Those of us who have been to Pasir Gudang a couple of times have also stories about meeting the local fauna. We've seen small lizards, big ass monitor lizards, cats, dogs, monkeys and ladies coming crossing the track carrying shopping bags. However, yesterday was another first for me at least. Coming over the crest going into the turn 9-10 chicane we came upon a family of boars (or very hairy pigs...) with small piglets and all. Makes you think again about having a tumble in the gravel traps there again...

Anyway, YP's summary is pretty good.
Cameron also gave tips such as make a preparation list. Because how many times have you come to the track and found that you have forgotten something obvious.

He pointed out that looking towards the next corner is of high importance. Your focus should not be only 2meters in front of you, then you'll never be prepared in time for the next obsticle.

Also, Cam said that when picking a goal for yourself when going out on the racetrack, it shouldn’t be too much focused on other racers. You cannot control what they do. The only you can control is yourself and the way you ride, so that is where you should look for improvements. Setting yourself specific goals on the track (i.e. entry speed/braking point/exit angle for a particular corner) might set you back immediately, but can help you in the long run. You don't know until you've tried it another way.

For me, I had/have some problems getting around this "getting your body in position before the corner". I've always been straight up and down on the bike when downshifting into a corner. As soon as I started moving my ass of the seat before downshifting there were so many variables coming into the picture. Suddenly the center of gravity is off, the bike is not perpendicular, the foot angle is different so the gear lever is now in a different position, gripping the tank with the knees is done differently and the arms are not straight on the handle bars (i.e. less strength). Even so, the maneuver is very useful to stabilize the bike when entering a corner, and coming to the end of the day I was finally getting around it somewhat.

That was also part of Cam's intention for the passing exercise done at the end of the day. By forcing us into positions that we are not normally used to being in by continually passing and re-passing each other, we got to try out different lines through the different corners. This exercise was done at about 90% speed, which also gave an element of racing but keeping within safety limits.

In all a nice day with good guys, and I definitely hope I have the chance to go out on the track with Cam again in the future. Thanks Cameron!!

Also big thanks to Andy and Gareth for organizing this.

----

Sadly we also had a spill on Wednesday where our fellow club member Enrique had a low side going into turn 1 while showing a friend around the track. Luckily he was only shaken and bruised, and the bike had some scratches and a broken foot peg. He looked like he'd been in a fistfight, but was able to ride pillion back to Singapore.
Hope to see you tonight at the BBQ Enrique!

Bullet
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of many—and solution to—all life's problems.

Last edited by Silva Bullet; 02-24-2005 at 07:59 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 04:39 AM

Waste of valuable forum Space

Legend

If you ever decide you have the balls to straddle a bike at the race track you will have to persuade me to surrender your race licence.

I have it here in Shanghai, don ask me why however it is doing a rather sterling job wedging my wobbly table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode