Transfer Bike to the UK - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Transfer Bike to the UK

Hi,
I'm an expat in Singapore and after four years I get transfered to England. I like to take my bike with me. Does someone has informations what paperwork needs to be done and how much i need to spend to register the bike in the UK?
thanks
Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:21 AM

Hi

First impression and from what i've heard>>>unless it's something really special it's not worth it. If you take into account
de-registering here, packing, local handling, shipping, shipping insurance, local handling in UK, Customs duty,VAT, Road tax, MOT testing.

Best i could find is here DIRECT GOV UK

Cheers
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

thanks,
will have a look. I hope I don't have to worry about the shipping and handling since the company is paying for the transfer..
let's see
Marcus

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:20 PM

I will be in the same situation as you later on this year so I'm interested in your findings.

I thought you were allowed to bring a vehicle without paying duties, vat, etc. if you are moving home to the UK. The web-site does not give much information regarding this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:27 PM

Ah

I remember in Holland and Germany that if you wanted to bring the bike back as part of your belongings it had to be registered to you for at least 24 months in the country of origin or something like that.
You'll always have to pay the tax. The duties can be lost if you're careful but the tax man will have you.
As far as i know there's a reduction system.
You have to pay the tax according to what the tax on that make and model was at the time it was sold in the country you move to!
This amount is then reduced by 10 % for every year old it is.
( It's because of this rule that importing old sports cars back into Europe became so cheap...10 years old = no tax)

If your company is paying for it... fine...but make sure the shipping insurance is correct as often the packers will blame damage on the shippers and vice versa.

I'm still sticking with "sell it here and buy a new one back home" theory.

Cheers

Last edited by bigphil; 02-15-2005 at 05:31 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:31 PM

Nah - don't do it

Having shipped the 996 from Singapore to Australia, The only advice I would give you is sell it there and buy another when you get to the UK as BP says.

Trust me - even with the company shipping it - It ain't worth it. Way too much in the way of hassle.

Cheers
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 02:41 PM

That said...

Actually YP, yu are correct - yu can take a bike to the UK without paying duties if you are permanently moving there or are a returning UK resident. Not sure about if you are entering the UK for the first time for example. You do have to have owned the bike for more than a year tho, that is a cert.

That said, I still wouldn't bother. They say no duties, but I'm sure that as with Aus, there are many hidden charges. There would be no customs duty, but there may be VAT payable, which is 17.5%

I'll dig out the link I had at home

Cheers
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 03:46 PM

I moved to the UK (from Norway) in 1991 and I brought 2 cars (one registered to me and the other to the missus) and I didn't pay a penny in tax or VAT.

I suppose the rules might have changed since then?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 04:09 PM

in writing

They may well have YP...

sounds like the best thing to do then is email them.... (and keep 'em!)

That way you have everything in writing should the tax man cometh....

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 04:11 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode