MotoGP season getting closer - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

MotoGP season getting closer

Today saw the conclusion of the Malaysia tests, with temperatures a little lower than the previous days, allowing the team to work to its full potential. As such, the Camel Honda team is now looking forward to the next session in their programme in Australia (from 17th to 19th February), where they hope to complete the first phase of work on the 2005 RC211V.

Alex Barros finished riding at around one in the afternoon after satisfactorily completing all the scheduled work with his team.

Troy Bayliss also made further big steps today, having worked hard until 4:30pm to continue his adaptation process to the Honda, and today picked out a set-up which he was happier with and which will start as a base for the team to work from in Australia.

Sito Pons – Camel Honda - “I’m really happy with the work Alex, Troy, and the team are doing. There’s a very optimistic and focused atmosphere, and the work is getting done. Troy is working so hard to adapt to a bike which is so different to the one he’s used to, and from our side the team is doing everything in its power to help adapt the RC211V to his riding style.

Alex Barros – Camel Honda - 2’01.159 (61 laps) - “I’m leaving Malaysia with a big smile, because everything has gone well, apart from having caught a bird with my right arm today, which was a little painful, but nothing.

Bayliss may ditch Honda
February 15, 2005

AUSTRALIAN MotoGP rider Troy Bayliss has threatened to abandon his obstinate Honda race bike just weeks out from this season's grand prix season.

Bayliss admits he is struggling to come to grips with the machine but his teammate Alex Barros says he is pushing too hard.

Noted for the aggressively ragged style that won him the Superbike world championship with Ducati, Bayliss cannot find a compromise with a bike that is regarded as the most rider-friendly machine in GP racing.

"There's no way I'm going to change my whole style to suit this bike and if I can't get it to work around me a little then I'll give it to someone else," Bayliss said.

"You don't just change you're style after 36 years. I can't change myself.

"At the moment the way it is the bike suits a smooth rider. It suits a GP rider more than anything because they are used to using the clutch all the time.

"Everything that Colin Edwards said last year, I'm copping it in the arse now."

Gauloises Yamaha Team rider Valentino Rossi was sufficiently recovered to continue testing in Sepang today, after missing the middle day of this three-day test yesterday due to a throat virus. The reigning World Champion was still not feeling 100% fit, but managed to complete 35 laps, including a long run, before finishing the day early at around 4pm. His team-mate Colin Edwards continued working until a little later and ended the test pleased with the progress made and a satisfactory, if tiring, long run.

Temperatures were once again in the thirties with 66% percent humidity, making this final day of testing hot work for the World Champion and his new team-mate. The pair continued to test Michelin tyres while making small changes to the set-up of their M1 motorcycles, and both made some improvements to their lap times. Rossi finished the day fourth fastest in the unofficial standings with a best lap of 2’01.275 and Edwards, who rode 81 laps, was ninth with a best lap of 2’01.641. The first three places were filled by a trio of Honda riders, with Makoto Tamada setting a time of 2’00.955, almost a second faster than Rossi’s pole position from the 2004 Malaysian Grand Prix. The Japanese rider was followed by Max Biaggi and Alex Barros with times of 2’01.015 and 2’01.159 respectively.

The Gauloises Yamaha Team now moves on to Phillip Island, Australia, for another three days of testing. The team will again be sharing the track with teams from Honda, Ducati, Kawasaki and Suzuki, as well as the Fortuna Yamaha Team.

Valentino Rossi (2’01.275, 35 laps) - “Unfortunately I caught a virus yesterday and I wasn’t able to test. I felt a bit better today and this morning we did a good job. We made some good laps and a race simulation, but I started to feel tired again over the last five laps. The bike is good and I have a good feeling with it; we’ve fixed some problems and tried some new tyres. Now I need to go and get some sleep so I can be ready to test in Phillip Island.”

Colin Edwards (2’01.641, 81 laps) - “The race simulation was hard and I had to take a bit of a breather at one point. There were about six laps when I was slower than I could have been. 81 laps is a lot for one day, especially the third day of a test, but we really needed to do the long run in order to get the information. We’re still working on the new bike, but I’m feeling a lot happier and we are making progress. The bike was great all day, very consistent and the tyres that Michelin have given us are great. I’m ready to move on now to some new scenery in Australia!”

Tamada 2m00.95

Biaggi 2m01.01

Barros 2m01.15

Rossi 2m01.27

Gibernau 2m01.37

Hayden 2m01.38

Capirossi 2m01.45

Melandri 2m01.50

Edwards 2m01.64

Checa 2m01.84

Itoh 2m02.90

Nakano 2m03.57

Bayliss 2m03.72
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sepang_sete.jpg (105.2 KB, 80 views)

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:06 AM

Man

are they shifting or what!!

And who was it that faced the wrath of everyone last year and said that Bayliss was shite!! and was going nowhere in 2005.

Can't wait for the season to start
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:15 AM

Talk about embarrasing.......

In an interview:

'Soup: You and Max came together pretty close in the pits yesterday.

Hayden: Yeah, a little bit of contact. I was coming in the pits and he pretty much pulled out of his box and ran me over. He has a lot of problems on pit road, running into riders and people. It's not the first he's had contact on pit road with somebody or bike or something. But it was just an accident, no hard feelings or anything. I probably need to pay more attention to what I was doing. He said normally his mechanic signals him when he comes out and nobody was there to signal him, so he thought he could just motor out. That's cool. It was an accident. People do mess up sometimes and that's all good.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

What a knob!!!

Haha nice work there Max

So come on out with the truth, who else has fallen over at 0mph

Didn't you dump the Fazer in a similar fasion at a servo way back when BC

and don't you worry about Troy BP, he'll be there once he gets a grip on that lazy Onda....

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 05:41 PM

Leave it out GD

Come on GD admit it. He's done mate.
In true gobby BP style > I'll put an SBR tee shirt on it that he doesn't finish in the top 6 this year!!
Yes a genuine SBR polo shirt. One size engulfs all. Also doubles as a tent, bike cover, rags for the rest of yer life...yes it's big

Has anybody else seen the movie "Faster" . What a crackin film.
There's some top footage of the GP boys..past and present.

Love the bit when there's a scuffle in the podium stair well and Rossie clocks baggy up the head. They go to the press conference and Baggy's got a red cheek and blood near his nose!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:00 PM

Re: Leave it out GD

Quote:
Originally posted by bigphil
In true gobby BP style > I'll put an SBR tee shirt on it that he doesn't finish in the top 6 this year!!
Yes a genuine SBR polo shirt. One size engulfs all. Also doubles as a tent, bike cover, rags for the rest of yer life...yes it's big

Has anybody else seen the movie "Faster" . What a crackin film.
There's some top footage of the GP boys..past and present.

Love the bit when there's a scuffle in the podium stair well and Rossie clocks baggy up the head. They go to the press conference and Baggy's got a red cheek and blood near his nose!
That movie "Faster" is a good documentary! I just got a copy from Amazon.com not too long ago. My friends and I have watched it a couple of times. Pretty amazing. I think any beginner should be seeing this film.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:14 PM

2'00.955!

Well done Tamada. Who'd like to bet against someone cracking 2' this season, at least in qualifying? I say yes, don't know who though.

1-4 The Road
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Re: Leave it out GD

Quote:
Originally posted by bigphil
You are on BP, if Troy doesn't make top 6 I'm giving up on him........ Should I send you my address now or wait until later in the season

I remember that punch on, thought that sort of stuff only happened on Days of Our Lives.....

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:42 PM

Er GD

you are supposed to accept and offer a counter bet. Ya know something like a current OZZie world cup replica ....ooooh hang on ya's aint got one

Ok a crate of Castle lager will do
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:42 PM

Re: 2'00.955!

Quote:
Originally posted by 1-4 The Road
Well done Tamada. Who'd like to bet against someone cracking 2' this season, at least in qualifying? I say yes, don't know who though.
Well done trev...todays prediction of the bleedin obvious

What about a guess on which tyres will be on the 1st sub 2.00 bike.
Go the michelin boys

Last edited by bigphil; 02-16-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode