Phillip Island ICR with Mr Gardener - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Phillip Island ICR with Mr Gardener

Right Fellaz

Here’s the low down on my trip to the Island, feck me what a week!!!!!!! I am still grinning!!!!!!

I left Singers on Sunday, Monday was an admin day in Melbourne spent recovering in the Hotel bar from the brunch in the Hyatt on Sunday. Meeting all sorts of “wanna be Wayne Gardeners”. There were only 22 riders there so the groups were really small. The press almost outnumbered the riders. All sorts of magazines and a couple of film crews. AND of course the pit chicks. They had been pulled directly from the local modelling agency and definitely did not have a university education. But anyway they were NOT there to provide stimulating conversation merely stimulate! They did everything for us from holding your gloves open to put your hands in, holding your ear plugs, polishing your helmet – no shit!!!!

The first day on the track was spent on level 1 of the cornering school who had been sub-contracted in to run the school on the first day and coordinate the following sessions. Definitely very useful going back to basics and building up the speed. Being an engineer as well the technical explanations behind why the bike behaves the way it does were very interesting.

The bikes were stock CBR 600RR’s with 30k’s on the clock, definitely gutless but a lot of fun in the twisties compared with the litre bikes. I found when things did go wrong the front started to push very easily. This was normally the case through the hayshed or turn 4, 4 gear pinned. I think the trick is not to let things get out of shape.

The second day was spent with McGhee, Beattie and Pitt. Kevin and Daryl were really approachable and useful giving you a full de-brief after the session. Pitt obviously felt threaten that I was going to steal his girlfriend (don’t blame him, given the chance I would have) since he was not that chatty. These guys are too quick, they make it look SO EASY!!!

Gardener basically treated it as a press session, pulling wheelies and spinning the rear mid corner.

Chris – French mate had a big off in the first session on the second day, going into turn 3 there is a small drop off about 100m before, he just clicked 5th and had a wicked tank slapper. Himself and the bike cleared the grass, gravel. Chris landing in the tyre wall and his bike clearing the wall and landing in the lake. He was fine but when asked where he had left the bike he couldn’t answer. It took about 10 minutes to locate the bike. Apparently this is the first time a bike has ever gone into the lake. He missed the next session and jumped back on a new bike with 100k on the clock. Thank you very much!!!!!

The hospitality after the event was really good, mind you I would expect so when you consider the sum of money that changed hands. Did a couple of interviews with the press and got a couple of really good pictures, one of me chasing andrew pit, got him to sign it.

I think my riding has improved immensely, I was lapping in 1.49’s. Rossi does a 1.33 and the superbikes a 1.39. I am very keen to see my times on good ole Sepang.

Turns out Daryl Beattie does a lot of paragliding too, got on really well with him. He is currently doing all the commentary for the touring cars and superbikes. He invited me to Shanghai for a week on the source with him and a chance to mingle with the superstars with VIP access. obviously I will ensure I am available for that one.

A fantastic week and a chance in a life time, very pleased with it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 03:04 PM

All sounds good

Nice one Will.... sounds like a top week So did you meet Steve Brouggy, he's a good guy and can really steer.

I thought the bikes were going to be specked up CBR6's?? So you didn't win the giveaway?.

Isn't turn 3 unreal, oh and turn 1, oh and the last one and.....

I've never heard of someone clearing the wall on the outside of Bass straight (that's the wall that ended Foggy's career).

...and 49's is seriously honking, good work on a stock 6.

So lets see some of these action pics

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Talking Phots on the way

Yeah, met Steve - top bloke. He had a few sessions out and was putting in 42's on a stock 1000. I think the week has taught me not to go spending money on fancy equipment which only covers up your mistakes. It may however save you when you do get out of shape.

Apparently all the bikes are now having stearing dampers fitted after Chris's off.

Going to look for a 600 now for myself. May be a Kawa but definatley not the hunk of junk Boycie sits on.

Every single corner (with the exception of Honda - bit boring) is fantatsic!!!!! By the end of it i was getting to grips with Lukey Heights - oh and turn 12 - that's insane

Will have to scan some pictures since i only have hard copies - Standby. Still haven't managed to work out how my video camera works so that one may take a little longer.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:54 PM

haha

Yeah I've done a lot of laps down there with Brouggy and no way I could keep with him if it wasn't for the extra HP I have...... he'll dive under you into 1, then Honda and again into MG every farking time

Yeah turn 12 exit is flat out in 5th on mine and it'll wheelie off the rise down and onto the main straight while your fully tucked - isn't it crazy fast!!!

On the other hand, I've run outta road there and thought I'd made my last mistake Saw another guy breakdance his way all the way down to the main tower after a slapper, he got a ride home in a helicopter for his trouble

Looking forward to seeing these pics...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Talking pic one

Strike one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda cornerii.jpg (81.3 KB, 53 views)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Pitty giving chase???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pitt.jpg (24.9 KB, 53 views)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

whatta pose!!!!

Going on my wall along with another one which is currently down the frame shop, will post that one soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg melbourne icr.jpg (31.4 KB, 55 views)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:04 PM

Ripper...

You've got more style that Pitty coming out of Honda there Bbq..... haha

I remember when he first started, one of his high school teachers was spannering his 250 production machine for him.... 5-6 yrs later he won the world supersport championship!!!!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Body position

That was probably the one corner where i have got my position right. Normally i am doing a Dohan.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Tug

Re: Pitty giving chase???

Quote:
Originally posted by bbqq021
Very nice old son, looking fast and the times were awsome. Has the Bug Eyed Boy got some competition next year?

I was thinking of making the trip but ended out blowing the budget on two GP's instead. Might have made a bit of a mistake there but there is always next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode