CD gets second spot for Macau - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Tug

CD gets second spot for Macau

John McGuinness and Stuart Easton, the Monstermob Ducati Team duo, topped the qualifying leaderboard for Saturday’s 38th running of the Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix. Easton finished just 1.32 seconds slower than McGuinness.

Thomas Hinterreiter on an R1 was third quickest, seven tenths of a second slower than Easton on a machine he normally races in Endurance events.

Michael Rutter on a Honda was only fourth, struggling with tyres that did not work well in the cool morning temperatures.
Rutter is looking for his fifth win in the event but was 2.24 seconds slower than McGuinness.

Callum Ramsay, the 29-year-old Scot, maintained his grip on the FIM 600 Supersport Class by being fastest in all three practice sessions on the Valmoto Triumph.

27-year-old Australian Cameron Donald, twice winner of the class in the past three years, was second quickest on the China Yuan XGJao Racing Honda, just seven tenths of a second down.

Go Cam

Race is on Saturday afternoon at 3.15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:44 PM

Some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd.jpg (55.0 KB, 72 views)

Bullet
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of many—and solution to—all life's problems.

Last edited by Silva Bullet; 11-18-2004 at 10:47 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 10:48 PM

Talk about blind corner:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blind corner.jpg (36.7 KB, 71 views)

Bullet

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 11:32 PM

Nice

That last pic is a beaut!! Crazy farkers or what.......

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 03:08 AM

Bulshit Clients

I was talking to a client of mine in a bar in Batam, he has done a fair bit of racing and mangement. He was telling me about this track in OZ where a few nuts have rubbed their nuts (heads) on the inside wall.

Being Australian i told him he was a FARKIN LIAR!

Take it back - Sorry Greg.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 03:48 PM

True....

Was he talking about Mt Panorama...?

Way back when, it had huge drop offs from the road edge that went just about forever, but now has a metre high concrete wall on both sides. They haven't had the bikes back since the early 90's.

I was lucky enough to get two goes at it and am happy to have come away in one piece (quite a few haven't) Cathcart was there on his supermono Ducati at the last one and raves about the place

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Tug

Thumbs up Cam gets second

Michael Rutter, on board the 1000cc Red Bull Honda, made it three wins in a row when he won the 38th Macau Motorcycle Grand Prix-Hotel Fortuna this afternoon.

The 31-year-old racer from Leicestershire had to work hard for his win, the fifth of his career in the Far East Classic, after rival John McGuinness (999cc Monstermob Ducati), who had been fastest in practice, took the lead at the start of the 15-lap race.

Rutter admitted that he thought his rival had pulled too far away to be caught on the opening lap, but decided to ride as hard as he could and hope that McGuinness would make a mistake.

Rutter’s chance to take the lead came on lap eight when McGuinness, the 32-year-old from Lancashire, was slower than normal on the fast straight to Lisboa Bend and Rutter was able to pull out of the slipstream and pass him on the brakes.

McGuinness refused to give in though, and was only half a second down on Rutter at the chequered flag.

It was a good day for the Cumbrian-based Paul Bird-owned Monstermob Ducati team with 21-year-old Scot Stuart Easton finishing third.

Austrian Thomas Hinterreiter (1000cc Yamaha), was fourth, nearly 13 seconds behind Easton.

Three Americans pulled off a major surprise by filling the next three places. Josh Hayes, 29, on the 1000cc Attack Kawasaki making his debut at the race, was fifth, 24 year-old Geoff May on the 1000cc Hot Bodies Racing Suzuki was sixth and Jeremy Toye (1000cc Roadracingworld.com Yamaha) took seventh place.

Callum Ramsay was the winner of the FIM 600 Supersport event, but a one-time 14 second lead had been cut to just over two seconds by Australian Cameron Donald (China Yuan XGJao Honda) at the end of the race.

Chris Palmer, Ramsay’s team mate, on the second Valmoto Triumph was third, just over two seconds behind Donald with the trio taking 19th, 20th, and 21st places in the overall results.

Cheung Wai On, the talented 23-year-old Hong Kong racer, made an impressive debut on a home-built 600cc Honda, finishing 25th overall out of the 34 starters and fourth in the 600 Class.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 05:55 PM

Again??

Can someone pls explain how a shitbox Triumph 600 can beat the Honda??? and why only at Macau (they won last year too didn't they???)

I've ridden both and the Trumpy has absolutley nothing going for it!!!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 09:45 PM

It's not your stock Triumph we're talking about here

In fact Cameron won on his R6 last year since the Triump (Steve Plater I believe) that was in front was given a jump start penalty.

Whileas the Honda that Cameron is riding is basically just a superstock bike with cams (I presume that is the case, as that was what he used last year) whichhe uses for the AsiaPac series. However, the Triumph that Ramsey won on is a full on British Supersport bike.

The Honda is a good bike but takes a lot of money to get into proper shape. Out of the crate the Yamaha R6 for example is a better bike, but with less headroom for improving it. What I'm saying is that the AsiaPac series doesn't give much opportunities to "improve" on the bike within the regulations. An example of this is that the R6 is doing better in the AMA than in SBK, because the AMA has more restrictions on what can be done to the bike (that's what I was told by a guy working as a bike tuner in the AMA at least).

Cameron still have some races to go in the AsiaPac this season, and therefore probably not able to make the changes to the bike necessary to make the bike fully competitive in Macau where there are World SBK regulations. Unless he can run a totally separate bike of course, but that would be a bit too expensive for just 1 race...

He had the same problem last year on the R6. Whileas his bike was making 113hp, the Triumph from the British Supersport series was making somethin like 120-125hp which they openly told him. The Honda he has this year is not making more than 113hp for sure.

Bullet

Last edited by Silva Bullet; 11-21-2004 at 09:47 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 01:52 PM

I get it..... thanks Silva

Mustn't be much of the original POS Trumpy left then

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode