Well worth the read... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Well worth the read...

A story on Krusty Fergusson from mcnews.com.au

Adam Fergusson is very much your average family man. The Melbourne 29 year old is married with kids and operates a motorcycle transport business as his day job.

There is only one thing that is very different about ‘Krusty’, and that is his freaky talent onboard a motorcycle. It is easy for me to use various clichés and the standard exclamations to try and explain just how fast Fergusson and the other top Australian Superbike pilots are. Instead I will give you some facts and figures that speak volumes of the level of skill and commitment required to pilot a Superbike.

The figures I mention have been taken from the Motorsport Data Systems onboard Fergusson’s Fireblade. You will struggle to get your head around some of it but rest assured all figures are 100% factual.

Winton Raceway involves lots of hard braking and Adam Fergusson’s rear wheel is effectively in the air under brakes for a total of 290 metres or nearly 10% of the lap.

On the front straight Fergusson’s Fireblade accelerates from 120km/h to 240km/h and back in 10 seconds. It takes six seconds for the acceleration and four seconds for the braking. Peak acceleration is 1.27g and the highest deceleration figure is 1.97g.

In a straight line at full throttle, the back wheel of Krusty's bike is "slipping" to the tune of 7kmh. At Phillip Island where speeds are higher the straight line slip can exceed 20km/h. This is simply the power overcoming the inertia and aerodynamic drag. At some circuits this slip can amount to more than 65 full revolutions of slip at high speed during a lap. This translates to the rear wheel covering over 130m more than the actual circuit length. This is only taking into account slip at very high speed with the bike completely upright and does not include acceleration induced wheelspin from getting on the gas hard out of turns.

While a track like Phillip Island is a much faster circuit than Winton, the time spent at full throttle is actually less than at Winton with only 18% of the lap spent with the throttle nailed at the Island. This is very much of a result of Phillip Island’s fast and flowing nature while Winton is very much a stop, turn and shoot style of circuit. This also shows up in the closed throttle figure as at Phillip Island the throttle is fully closed for only 33% of the lap, compared to 44% at Winton.

A clear revelation of how difficult is to get the incredible power to the ground is shown in the fact that Fergusson is below 8,000rpm (effectively less than two-thirds of the available revs) for 33% of the lap. Only 20% of a lap at Winton sees the throttle wide open while it is fully shut for more than twice as long, or 44% of the lap.

Six journalists rode Fergusson’s bike at Winton, most have raced extensively and can be safely considered as faster than your average sportsbike buyer. Even so, the fastest journo only managed to have the throttle to the stop for 3% of the lap. And all of them spent more than 50% of the lap with the throttle fully closed.

Joining these boys on a racetrack always clearly demonstrates just how much of a higher level they operate than us mortals. Unless you have been lucky enough to ride on the track with guys like Fergusson, Brookes, Giles, Stauffer, Coxhell, Johnson and Co. it is a concept that can’t be understood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krusty.jpg (98.1 KB, 100 views)

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 09:17 PM

Thumbs up hmmm...

Jeez....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2004, 11:20 PM

mmmh

I was going to go down for a look myself but when i went to the OZ embassy for a last minute visa and the official there said " do you have a criminal record ??" and i replied " i didn;t know i still needed one to get into Australia!!" my chances went out the window

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 01:39 AM

no guys

Quote:
In a straight line at full throttle, the back wheel of Krusty's bike is "slipping" to the tune of 7kmh. At Phillip Island where speeds are higher the straight line slip can exceed 20km/h. This is simply the power overcoming the inertia and aerodynamic drag. At some circuits this slip can amount to more than 65 full revolutions of slip at high speed during a lap. This translates to the rear wheel covering over 130m more than the actual circuit length. This is only taking into account slip at very high speed with the bike completely upright and does not include acceleration induced wheelspin from getting on the gas hard out of turns.
I'm not having this.....it's cobblers. I don't dispute the data readings but the apparent cause...nah not havin it
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 09:00 PM

And BP's an engineer

Does seem doubtful - the back wheel doesn't spin up off the line and there's a lot less torque at the rear wheel to do it in a high gear.

Assuming it happens (not sure even about that), then it implies that the tyre is lightly loaded at least some of the time. Possible causes: poor aerodynamics causing uplift; poor recovery over bumps; what else?

1-4 The Road
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 03:24 AM

??

It's a popular misconception that the thrust required to accelerate the bike forward comes from the back wheel. This may eminate from the the people who couldn't understand the priciples surrounding counter steering.

In reality the gyroscopic inertia generated by the wheels is dramatically increased as you lean the bike into the corner, this in turn beings to accelerate the bike through the radius of the curve.

for more information on this have a look at

http://www.no-its-not_or_will_BP_ris...e_bullshit.com

Last edited by bbqq021; 10-19-2004 at 03:28 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 05:56 PM

???

Well BBQ...maybe if you typed it in English i may well rise.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Does sounds a little suss doesn't it...

My concerns are, if the rear wheel is travelling an extra 130m over a single lap (and that's not including cornering??) why isn't there a lot more rubber lines on the straights....

From a standing start is a little different though and I have to disagree with you on this one 1-4.

Try it yourself, find a straight stretch somewhere and make a half dozen serious starts with your weight forward to avoid looping it and apart from wearing out your new clutch, you'll spin the rear enough to leave a reasonable mark. If you don't your not twisting it hard enough

You seen those nasty top fuel dragsters, those 5000hp monsters will wheel spin the full length of a quarter mile Hardly see that as RACING, but that's another story.....

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode