Cameron Donald reports on an Irish adventure - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Cameron Donald reports on an Irish adventure

This is copied from mcnews.com.au.
You can see pictures from the race HERE
=========================

May 26th, 2004 - By, Cameron Donald

I had only been accepted for the wildcard entry in the BSB a week before the event, so things were pretty rushed. I headed to Europe straight from round one of the Asian Pacific championship at Sentul Indonesia.

Fridays practice was my first time on the bike, which was an ex Team ETI Suzuki machine. Although two seasons old, they were still very quick and quite capable of strong results. Things were going well. My times were improving each session as I came to grips with the circuit. Mondello contains many tight second gear turns, only reaching fourth gear once per lap, which meant there was no time to rest on the 1000 that just wanted to stand on its back wheel off every turn.

Then things took a turn for the worse. In Fridays 3rd session, another privateer ran into the back of me under brakes into turn 5. We both ended up going down the track with my bike cart wheeling itself into retirement for the weekend.

Fortunately I was ok after the fall and we could get straight into Saturdays qualifying session on the teams’ spare machine. The spare was slightly down on power from the number one bike, but this made it easier to drive off the tight turns and did not lift the front so much.

Ending Saturdays qualifying at 23rd position I was satisfied. We had run as high as 18th early in the day and had chosen not to use soft qualifying tyres to give me more time on 16.5 inch Dunlop's I would use in the race.

Race one got off to a strong start. In the 18-lap event I was running 16th until late in the race when my rear tyre began to wear badly, leaving me fighting for drive off the turns and dropping me back to 18th at the flag.

We made some changes to the rear shock as we believe that was the cause of the rear tyre problem and we were back out for the next race.

Race two was another strong start. This time following fellow Aussie Craig Coxhell out wide through turn one, passing many bikes until two bikes fell on our inside which took us both out wide and off the edge of the track.

Rejoining the race behind Craig I managed to push through the field to get on the back of James Haydon and some of the other factory machines. With the changes made after race one enabling me to push harder and clear away from the group behind.

By mid race, the factory boys were clearing away. I was in 14th and having a good dice with Stuart Easton, riding last year’s title winning Ducati. Then my rear tyre started spinning up again off the turns, although it was nowhere near as severe as the last race. I came home 15th overall and 4th privateer - just missing a Privateer Cup podium.

So overall a great introduction to BSB as this series is huge. The riders are pushing so hard its unbelievable, with the likes of current Aussie Superbike champ Craig Coxhell battling to run top ten it gives you some idea of the depth in this championship. To finish 15th in race two at least I made my point!

The team saw the weekend as a successful first attempt and I have been accepted as a wildcard again for round 6 at Thruxton - June 6th 2004. With a little more experience I hope to improve my results at that round.

I would like to Thank Team BTS for the opportunity to ride for them and Rod Tingate my mechanic for all his work over the race weekend

Bullet
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of many—and solution to—all life's problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 12:47 AM

Well done Cameron

This is an awesome pic of CD ... about 55% lean and apparently hard on the brakes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cameron at mondello.jpg (79.8 KB, 74 views)

1-4 The Road
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Sorry 1-4, but think maybe you should check your glasses. His hand is definitely off the brake....

Bullet
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of many—and solution to—all life's problems.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 01:15 AM

Quite right

I believe only women are never in the wrong.

1-4 The Road
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 01:51 AM
Tug

Like over hearing a conversation between two senile old ladies

You two crack me up

Nice pics and nice report, how are we gonna wangle a trip to Thruxton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donald.jpg (62.4 KB, 71 views)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 03:30 AM

AND

if you think that helmet is farkin ugly .wait to you see his tatoo
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 04:50 PM

55% of what 1-4??

Great first up effort that....

Not sure if you guys know of Craig Coxhell, but he is one hard charger that's for sure.

A little more from mcnews.com.au

Australian international rookie Craig Coxhell has enjoyed a successful weekend at Round Five of the British Superbike Championship at Ireland's Mondello Park.

"Overall I'm extremely happy with the weekend, our aim was to finish in the top ten, which we did and we proved that we have the capacity to race with the top riders," said the reigning 21 year old Australian Superbike Champion.

Coxhell started his Team Vitrans Honda Fireblade from 13th and was soon working his way through the pack.

"The bike was feeling better as the race went on and the Pirelli tyres held up really well" said Coxhell who clocked his quickest lap of the race on the final lap to finish in an impressive 8th position.

"Unfortunately I didn't get such a good start to race two as I was tangled up in a crash at the first corner, and by the end of lap I was 16th"

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 07:05 PM

55 degrees

Too hard to find the degree symbol.

1-4 The Road
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 08:06 PM

Re: Like over hearing a conversation between two senile old ladies

how are we gonna wangle a trip to Thruxton [/B][/QUOTE]

Greetings from Sunny Taipei

Thruxton on a bike just scares me shiiiiitless (but then so does every track)

Its basically a circle of very fast flat out "bumpy" curves with a couple of chicanes towards the end to keep the death rate down

You could come off and slide into the adjacent corn fields and no one would know you were there in the weeds until you started to smell

Umm
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Tug

Flymo san

Was it Thruxton that you made an arse of your self in a F1 car old son
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode