Owning a 999R ..... (part two) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Owning a 999R ..... (part two)

Owning a Ducati 999R ….

Well, I’ve had the 9R for getting onto a week now, and while managing to resist taking it to PG last Sat and ‘settling’ with using the lovely ‘old’ girl (the R1), I have none the less managed to crank up 700 odd k’s on her.

The goal is to use the thing … not let it be a trophy piece … and use it I have … for the daily commute to work and the recent trip to Melacca for work….

So .. how does it compare, is it what I hoped for, was it worth it ? …. If you give a shite .. read on …

How does it compare is tricky one … it is ‘different’ … the seating position, the position of the levers, the pegs .. the bars to seat distance, the weight of the clutch .. all different, the noises, the general experience … of course it is ..

Was it worth it … well, it S$13 for a Big Mac ‘worth it’ in Switzerland … or for that matter is S$22,000 for a bike ‘worth it’ … it is all relative to something … and for me .. it was not a question to consider as part of the purchase … and still isn’t ..

Which leaves .. is it what I hoped for, do I like it ?? …. Which is a good one … so I will answer this … I have discovered much to my joy that bikes are a passion of mine … and this is a good thing .. not so much the bikes as such, but more that I actually HAVE a passion. It really is a sad but far too true observation that most people do not have a passion in their life, and are as a result passionless ….. i.e farkin boring as fark !! …

I am not the sort that loves to buy the latest and greatest in the quest for the fastest lap time … I might be, but because I ride like a pussy, I will never know. Instead I get my jollies on owning a bike that gives me pride, I love the feeling of actually riding … both on the road and on the track, and I love just looking at it and knowing it is mine …

But … to the point (fark off … I’m GETTING to it …), currently it doesn’t idle at all so it stalls at every light unless I have my arse in the air and my hand on the gas, the clutch action is a rerun of ‘world strongman 2004’, adjusting the throttle control means scratching the lovely frame cause it’s in such a daft place, the tool kit is useless, the tank is such a weird shape no tankbag will fit, the speedo will tell you the temperature outside, but not when you might run out of gas, and the seat is on the ‘very-far-back’ setting so the ride up to melacca had me thinking my hips were dislocated ….

So … do I like it … NO I don’t, I fakin LOVE it !!! …… it really is everything and more that I could have hoped for ….. boy does this baby have passion in extra concentrated doses !! …
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

me ... and 9R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1.jpg (49.2 KB, 82 views)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

9R .. and me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d2.jpg (67.9 KB, 84 views)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

P.S .. for additional pics of me and my bike check the lastest edition of the 'Blue Oyster Boys Bikers Monthly' .... I've scored the centre spread and I'm in heels .... you lucky monkey spankers !! ....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 04:46 AM

Fans

I assume that the hoards of women were giddy with excitement and fell over when you asked them to take the photo of you and your baby- hense the excessive volume of concrete in the forground?

Either that or they fell asleep listening to you tell them about the heavy clutch.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 05:52 AM

TOILET TRADING 999R STYLE

Looks like one of Ledge's famous self potraits, outside the bogs at Pagoh.

Who else you sent it to ... George Michael ???
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 07:20 AM

ø57mm Full Ti Termi system or a ø60mm Sil Motor system (the ugly one on my bike) and you're set.

Apparently, because of customer complaints on how ugly the Silmotor system is, they have made a new Carbon Fibre cover for the exhaust a la Termignoni. Apart from that this system rocks- good for another 8-10hp across the range with a PC3.

Awesome bike Ledge. Ignore the Yammie brigade taunts. They're just green and sore that one of them is leaving the flock etc. . Welcome to the Red camp- colour also symbolic of your bank balance henceforth.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 05:33 PM

CD's

Dave - you change your avatar and you can consider us FINISHED!!!

Your CD collections will be in the bin outside!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:41 PM

Is that puddle coolant or brake fluid in those two pictures?

1-4 The Road
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Is that puddle coolant or brake fluid in those two pictures?
Nah, it was left by an excited transvestite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode