Medical Insurance - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Medical Insurance

The subject came up again at our meeting last night and although it was 'off-topic' was still a valuable reminder for those of us who are going to play on the track to get covered.

I have not looked into exactly what coverage is offered with the policies offered with memebership to SMSA or AAM so can't comment on what you can expect.

I was extremely fortunate to have my accident claim entertained last year and I can never thank those concerned enough. However, come renewal time the policy had doubled in cost, 25% of any future claims was to be paid by me and it was clear that a similar accident would not be covered.

With regret I had to find something else. Over a beer with Johnny Noluck, I was recommended 'BUPA International' who covered his collar bone operation after one his unfortuante antics at the track.

Sure enough after explaining about bikes, track and amateur racing I go the following response:

........ With regards to your question we do not exclude extreme sports from our policies. Therefore should any treatment be required as a result of an extreme sporting activity we would cover the cost of treatment as per your membership benefits.
Please be aware that any treatment arising from or relating to any pre existing conditions, ie the pins you already have in place, will not be covered under the policy.

I signed up!

For those going to the track, check what coverage you currently have and get something sorted if you don't. (Just farting in Glenneagles costs money and the billing dept will be in your room before you can say..... turn two?...oil?....I bet that hurt?... turn two?...oil?.......

For those still looking, have a butchers at this, (Note I believe its only for ex-pats):

http://www.bupa-intl.com/schemes/individual.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Tug

Talking Slashers gonna love you son

Not only did you switch to BUPA after Slashers mob sorted you out when they didn't have to but now you are a rep for BUPA
I might sign up for the other side, do you get commission ?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:10 AM

FOREWARNED IS FOREARMED

Really I think the important point to make here is that everyone should really check their own personal accident/ healthcare insurance to ascertain the scope of coverage.

I would be very wary of having to rely on third party coverage via a club, whether the SMSA or the AAM as offering any sort of comfort that you are fully insured for personal injury, hospitalisation and so forth.

Going back a couple of years we asked to see the SMSA insurance policy and asked on several occasions exactly what the exclusions were under the policy they intended to take out.
The details were never provided.

It is a legal requirement of any FIM sanctioned event that all license holders carry insurance. This is aimed primarily at liability and until fairly recently the SMSA did not provide this either, which is why we made the switch across to the AAM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode