PGI endurance race this weekend - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Talking PGI endurance race this weekend

The PGI endurance race is on this weekend (see program below). It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun! As far as I know the only people from SBR doing it is Silva and Myself, we'll be in Team Classic Racing together with Classic Racing. How about coming up to watch it if you got nothing better to do and want a nice sunday ride?

I'm sure as ell looking forward to it! Don't know about the Le Mans start though...

----------------------------------------------------
Saturday 27th September 2003
1:30 pm 5 pm Pre Registration and Scrutineering
2:30pm 5pm Track open for practice by SIC
5m Riders Race Information Meeting with Clerk of the Course

Sunday 28th September 2003
0900 hrs Registration and Scrutineering
0930 hrs Riders Briefing
1000 hrs 1050 hrs Free Practice
1100 hrs 1200 hrs Qualifying (all riders)
1245 hrs Start Procedure
1300 hrs 1600 hrs Pan Global Enduro 3
1630 hrs Prize Presentation

START
Le Mans type start as follows: -
- Riders leave pit for grid and park bikes at 45 degrees echelons, on pit side of grid
- One person holds the motorcycle by the seat (engine off)
- Starting rider must put one foot on official mark opposite side of track
- 5, 3 and 1 minute boards displayed on grid
- Riders must be in position at 1 minute board
- Riders will run to their machines start with the onboard starter and commence racing.
- Any rider unable to start his machine, must push it into the pit lane with the help of his assistant and marshals and try to start from pit exit.
-Holders of the machines must proceed to the pits immediately after the start.
-------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 11:08 PM

Way to go

Have a great time YP, sounds like you'll have a ball.

Will be checking back for a full report on Monday.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 06:10 PM

Re: Way to go

Quote:
Originally posted by Gixxer_Dave
Will be checking back for a full report on Monday.
... checkin .. checkin .... common lads ... ahts the goss, who came where .. all back in one .. piece !! ....

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 06:59 PM

Well?

Come on... out with it
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 07:52 PM

Owwww...

Well,
We rode hard, we rode well and we got on the podium! 5th place...right up to third at one point after consolidating 4th for 2 bloody hours.

Nils rode hardest, Carl rode longest and I rode like a twat...missed the pit board 3 bleedin' times, I did...

Nils and Carl were definitely LEGENDS!!! Thanks guys, I felt proud to be in the team.

Still Racing
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:06 PM

Er....

Well done... but I have never seen a podium with 5 places...
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:19 PM

Location: currently spending the summer at my oxfordshire address
good work fellas!!!!!

well done guys

I want to be young & wild. Then I want to be middle-aged & rich. And then I want to be old & annoy people by pretending I'm deaf
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 10:21 PM

Well done 'Classy' .. and good to hear you guys finished AND rode a good race by the sounds of things .....

Can't wait for the pics .... anyone ?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Classic summed the endurance race up pretty well.

The Le Mans start was very interesting. Silva held my bike, engine not running, me standing on the other side of the track and at the drop of the flag ran over got it started and blasted away. Thanks to some fast running I managed to get away in 4th although we only qualified in 8th. I was up to 3rd in the first few laps but dropped back to 4th or 5th at the changeover after about 28 mins or so. I had been told to take it easy in an endurance race but sod that! I was going almost as quickly as in a 15 lap race and so was everyone else. At the changeovers we had to transfer the transponder to the next bike before the next man could start their engine and get away. We had practiced this so no problem, Silva was quickly on his way on the 2nd half-hour stint. He also was going full out and set a new PB for the north circuit in the process.

So all 3 of us did two stints, unfortunately as Classic eluded to in his post, he didn't come in even though we frantically showed him the pit-board for at least 3 laps. Classic was going really well on his "classic Yamaha" and was enjoying himself too much to notice the board, the "team" in the pits were all fuming , since staying out too long meant a time penalty. At last he came in and I went out again to do 4-5 laps before the end of the race at 4pm.

So at the end we ended up 5th, on the same lap as the 3rd and 4th positions. We had done really well, going fast without crashing for 3 hours so we deservedly felt very happy (and very tired).

The winning team only had 2 people since the 3rd guy highsided in saturday practice, had a concussion and a broken wrist. Of the 2 remaining guys one was unbelievably fast and the other average. They must have had a lot of stamina doing the race with 2 people only!

We had a fantastic day! Thanks to PGI for getting this event going! Thanks to the team members (not least the non riding ones of which one was Mrs YP).

PGI representatives were talking about organizing the event next year as well and I can thoroughly recommend it!

Last edited by yellow peril; 09-29-2003 at 01:16 AM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 11:56 PM

Oi Oi

Quote:
Silva held my bike, engine not running, me standing on the other side of the track and at the drop of the flag ran over got it started and blasted away
YP, right up your street with a "hash" to start the race eh?

Well done guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode