Barry Sheene dies of Cancer - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Barry Sheene dies of Cancer

Sad to hear this - passed away today apparently. He was convinced he was going to win the battle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 02:22 AM

Barry Sheene

One of the greatest heroes of the sport has gone.
I spoke to him on many occasions when I was covering GP's and World Superbikes for Star TV in Hong Kong and I will always remember him for being blunt and direct, cutting through all the politically-correct "mediaspeak" with an acerbic wit and a smile. Not only was Barry one of the best riders in his time, he was an astute businessman, immensly loyal to his friends and family and had an amazing gift for one-liners.
He knew so well how to play the media and always had a comment that would put everything into perspective.

Whatever anyone else will say about "The Legend", Barry was one seriously clever man and there is not one person who had met him or dealt with him that did not hold him in the highest respect.

Barry Sheene was not one of those whose light burned brightly for a short while...he was a supernova all his life.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 01:28 PM

Unhappy Baz - almost an Ozzie

Barry has been living in Brisbane for the past decade or so and was a regular on our channel ten commentary team for the cars/bikes most weekends.

He regulary competed in the major historic bike events at P.I and Eastern Creek these past years and was always the major drawcard.

As stated by razor, he was the one to cut the crap and stick to the facts.... He was very well respected by the Australian motorsport fans.

Anyone that went to the Cowes Hotel on Phillip Island during a SBK or GP weekend would have seen him and his crowd pleasing antics.

Lived life full and fast. He will be sadly missed.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 01:49 PM

Local article

Tributes flow in for Sheene

Britain's 1996 Formula One world champion Damon Hill led the tributes to former two-time English world 500cc motorcycle champion Barry Sheene, who died on Monday from cancer at his Australian home aged 52.

Hill said he loved Sheene also because of his incredibly glamorous life off the track - "He packed more into his 52 years than most people put into 100 years... that lifestyle, the playboy, the model wife, the big, big crashes. He was famous for many different reasons.

"(Even with his cancer) he took his usual stance against the world and everything that was thrown at him - he refused to take conventional treatment and was going to do it his way, which was pure Barry."

Strong-willed Sheene - world champion in 1976 and 1977 and winner of 19 500cc Grand Prix - said last October at the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix at Phillip Island he would not be resorting to chemotherapy to fight off the cancers.

"Stomach and oesophagus are difficult cancers, I don't believe in chemotherapy, I think it's just poison, so I'm not going to get involved in that," he said.

"I've had some special microwave therapy in Western Australia, I've done an awful lot of different things."

Britain's quadruple World Superbike champion Carl Fogarty said Sheene's sheer personality had lifted the sport's profile even if his achievements on the track were not as significant as other British riders.

"He was the guy who made motorbike racing famous," Fogarty told the BBC.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 04:04 PM

Trust old foggy to

piss on somebodies parade

Quote:
Britain's quadruple World Superbike champion Carl Fogarty said Sheene's sheer personality had lifted the sport's profile even if his achievements on the track were not as significant as other British riders.
arrogant little twat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheene will be missed by all. He was the star of my youth. what a top bloke......
I remember the track fights with Mick Grant well. Beamish suzuki were the biz....

Damn another one gone.............................................. ........
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Tug

Even Foggy aint that stupid

Suspect Foggy didn't mean it like that, just opened his gob before engaging the ole brain again

Baz was my childhood hero, I remember getting my question answered on TV when he appeared on Ask Aspel. He sent me a signed photograph and I wish I knew where it was now. They dun make them like Barry any more, a guy falls off and breaks his collar bone these days and it ends his career. In them days Baz would have been riding at the next race. Seriously tough and full of charisma, that's what heroes are made of.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 12:03 AM

Foggys' comments

Absolutely right, Tug.

Foggy is not one to invest in a media relations person...he says things as he sees them and damn the torpedos. Getting past all the hype, he's right in what he says - Bazza's influence on bike racing far outweighed his results.

Barry was a "Boy's Own" hero, a "cheeky chappie" who had the smile, the intelligence and the wit to be larger than life.

He brought bike racing out of the greasy-garage days and on to the glamour pages and is STILL most people's idea of "yer typical" bike racer.

...and if you ever think they've forgotten, only last year I was stopped for speeding and undertaking in the Limehouse Link tunnel in London and received the ultimate compliment from a spotty young rozzer "...who do you think YOU are, then?...Barry bloody Sheene?..."

Yep, they DO still say it...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Founder

Fuck.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 06:49 PM

Sheene family thanks supporters

Barry Sheene wanted to be remembered as "the man you saw on the tele" and not as he was in the final weeks of his life fighting a losing and painful battle against cancer.

The former world 500cc motorcycle champion died in a Gold Coast hospital on Monday at age 52, nine months after being diagnosed with cancer of the throat and upper stomach.

His wife Stephanie issued a statement through family friend and TV commentator Bill Woods thanking friends and fans for their letters faxes and emails of support during the illness.

"I know he read them all out of respect for the great support he has enjoyed throughout his career," said Woods.

"Baz wanted to be remembered as the man you saw on the tele, a great champion, a great ambassador for motor sport and a great bloke."

British born Sheene won back-to-back world 500cc motorcycle crowns in 1976-77. He moved to Australia in 1987.

After being diagnosed with cancer Sheene refused chemotherapy, opting instead for alternative medicines and treatments.

Woods said Sheene did not want his fans to see him suffering.

"Out of respect for his fans he wanted people to remember him at his peak and I don't think he wanted to undergo any debilitating therapy," said Woods.

"He just wanted to fight on his own terms and as it turned out obviously it was so advanced by the time it was detected that was always going to be difficult.

"He never gave in," added Woods.

Long time friend and five-time world 500cc champion Mick Doohan credited Sheene with putting his career in the fast lane.

"The oldest 15-year-old I ever met," said Doohan.

"Right up until Wednesday night when I spoke to him he had one liners."

Sheene will be buried in a private funeral. A public memorial ceremony is also being arranged.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 04:54 AM

Our Barry

You know I bumped into him one day here in Spore at Raffles City Shopping mall. He was sitting quietly outside one of the shops contemplating life whilst Stephanie was busy buying something.

He knew he'd been recognised and was very happy to chat away with me and even introduced me to Stephanie. Bit embarrassing really coz I remember her from her days starring in the Mayfair Centrefolds when I was a mere adolescent, which made me blush a bit!!

He was a top blurk ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode