Just my thoughts ... about our club. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Just my thoughts ... about our club.

“Does racing improve the breed.”

Ok lads, I know you’ve been gagging for it, so here’s your weekly dose of Legends intellectual meanderings.

I’m not raising the familiar rant about whether or not racing improves the bikes we ride, or if racing improves the way we ride. I’m raising the idea that maybe ‘racing’ as such does not improve our motorcycling experience ….

It’s coming close to a year now since I joined up with you all. As the song goes .. ‘We’ve come a long way baby’. I would suspect that most of us have put more thought into whether to buy an Ohlins shock, or race fairings, than we have toward the direction we are going as a club, or the direction we are going as individuals.

I will never forget my first day on a track … Shag-a-Lamb following Tug. For those that have done it, I would bet you’ll still smile if you take a minute with your eyes closed to live it again. For those that have not …. don’t read anymore until you have booked yourself in for a track day. Everyone I have seen in the past 12 months, after their first foray on the twisty stuff have taken their helmets off with a grin so big you just know it’s going to still be there the next morning. It’s one of those rare moments in life, that you know will remain with you and not be eroded with time.

I know I have been searching for that feeling every time I go back out on the track, be it track days or race days. I try and push just that little bit harder through corners and twist just that little bit harder on the go stick … all to get that extra second, or to close the gap on that next rider…..and after watching most of you this year ….. I know this is all a pile of shit. It’s not the way to get that feeling again. It’s not even close.

Don’t misunderstand me. I am still having the greatest of times, otherwise I wouldn’t still be around, but after the end of the recent race session, I think it would be fair to say that some are a little jaded and bewildered with the experience, and most of these are people that have been doing all this longer than me, and going much faster …..

So then …. how does this relate to my point of discussion…..which for those with short attention spans (wake up Mojo ya carnt) …it was “Does racing improve the breed”.

If I go into the upcoming races this session, with the thoughts and hopes that going just that little bit quicker, or braking just that little bit earlier, will make the whole experience more enjoyable for me… I doubt it will work, for me, and by looking at the jaded others, it’s clearly not working for them either. It would seem the speed you go round, or the ‘pecking’ order you are in, does not translate to the amount of fun you are having.

There are of course other reasons to go ‘racing’, other than having fun. It could be for glory, it could be to improve your riding, it could be for all sorts of reasons. However, we are a club. There is no prize money of note. If it’s not for fun … then what the fark are we doing it for, and we should all think about this … more than how much we think about how to shave that next half a second of our PB’s. Why? Cause if we don’t we will sure as shit loose what’s making this club as special as it is. And if you don’t think we are at a turning point right now, you’ve got your head up your arse.

Case in point for me happened this weekend. It started when I asked Cameron Donald if he thought making racing a career reduced the fun of the experience. He told us a story about how early in his career there was a time when he was beating himself up about his progress and got quite down about the whole thing. His old man was his mechanic/ manager at the time and he simply reminded Cameron of what it had all cost, in money, hours and sweat, for him to get to where he was, and if he wasn’t enjoying it, then it made no sense at all to keep doing it.

It finished when Paul aka “Did anyone see my brake lever on the track…”, told me that “ I had just made his weekend”. Here’s a lad who as it turns out does not have a whole load of money (think we all can relate). He’s bought the best horse he could for him, with the money he had, and turns up to give it a go. In hindsight, I feel like a cant. Sure, when I first met him it was a race weekend, sure I had my mind on other things ....but then, on my first track day the same could have been said about Tug, but he still spent close to a third of his track time just taking me round the place and showing me what to do. I actually did the opposite. I thought, fark me, this lad is gonna cause some problems, best keep right out of his way, and I did … to the point where I kind of ignored him.

This weekend, he wanted to get an idea of his track times, so I agreed to follow him round for a few laps and let him know the times from my timer. I was really impressed with how he was riding, and when he came in I told him so. My exact words were ..” Bloody ell bro, you really are getting there. I was having a hard time keeping up ….”. You should have seen the grin. It was one of those full on, stuck in your face, it will still be there tomorrow types … and lads, they are infectious….

I woke up with mine still stuck to my face, and that is the point of all this. As it turns out, for me anyway, it’s not ‘racing’ per se that makes all this fun, it’s the lads and ladesses that you do it with.

We are a club full of a mixture of different cultures, characters, races and ages, and thank god for that. We are all in it for various reasons and each to there own I say so many may not be in it all for the same reasons as me and I have to respect this. But if you’re like me, and came into all of this in the first place to have fun and enjoy yourself, take some advice. Next time you’re at a track or race day, don’t spend all your time looking at your lap timers, wishing you had fitted new tyres and dreaming about Ohlins shocks. Go have a chat with Paul next time you see him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Tug

For once fairly sensible

There is room for both racing and track days, even more important there is a need for people who are interested enough in either to help with the organisation. One of the great things about track days is having new people along and spending time with them. I don t like the elitist attitude that develops where new guys are viewed as a pain in the ass. The club was started with new guys in mind and we have all been new guys at some time. Thank goodness there were people around to offer encouragement on my first excursion or I would have given up before Id even started. Old hands can help new guys get more out of what they are doing and do so more safely. The safer they are the safer we are, the safer it is the less we crash and the less we crash the less it costs us.

Im more interested in racing this year because I find it focuses me on riding and not just screwing around. This isnt any more fun in fact its less fun but more challenging and ultimately more rewarding/frustrating/sole destroying.

It does look like fun here though

Last edited by Tug; 01-27-2003 at 06:20 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 06:41 PM

Re: Just my thoughts ... about our club.

Ok Ledge, seens as you've gone all serious on us, I can add that I've tried both and can honestly say that I've had a heap more fun the past couple of years just fooling around at various tracks with a few mates, BUT obviously it takes all sorts and the only way to find out what pushes your buttons is to get in and have a go.

To me it sounds like SBR now has a mix of serious guys and some just out having fun - which is actually a good thing...

Quote:
Originally posted by Legend
my point of discussion…..“Does racing improve the breed”.
Forget about racing that ain't the problem it's you and the rest of your NZ buddies sleeping with their sisters that is causing a thining of the gene pool....

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 07:54 PM

Bluudy el Ledge

How long ya been savin that lot up for???
Most of it rings true and i guess everyone is going to do their own thing anyway.
I reckon being on a track makes you want to be as fast as possible and still upright. It's a question of can you keep the red mist and urge to go faster than the guy in front at bay. And if you cant ...can you handle the consequences!
Even on my most recent F up and hospital visit I can't forget what an ace weekend i was havin with a great bunch of guys.
Cheers

The Photo:
1/ Slashers smiling on film ( street cred right down the toilet)
2/ Even on the wagon, BC's double chin is coming along well.
3/ Tug has his arm round Max. ( go fot it Legend)
4/ Legend trying to wipe his lipstick off Slashers boot.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Cheers Lads.

Thanks for the replies so far lads.

I especially like the pic Tug .... it summarises it all quite nicely ... still, WTF you doing giving Max the big-pickup-feel ??

To clarify one small point. I do not for a moment wish to suggest we all stop 'racing' and start 'talking' to carnt's like Paul. Fark me if that wouldn't be boring .

I'm simply try to address the concerns of a few members, the minority I suspect, that seem to expect more from the club and 'racing', where they may just find the balance they seek by chilling it out a bit, talking a few moments to talk to some of the newbies, and still find time to go just as fast, but have a hell of a better time doing it all.

In doing so though, I thought it might be time to suggest that if we do ever end up with a club full of lads that are just out for the top step ...... then we ALL need to be aware, that the club will change, for the better, and in some ways, for the worst. Is it all about winning, at our level. Does 'racing' at our level have to be only about winning.

Cases in point...

1. Max. Ok, sure he's fast, but he's just a pompous carnt.
2. Nils. Umm .... would be nice to say he was fast, but he ain't, so he is just a pompous carnt.
3. Carl and Trevor. Two carnty brothers if ever I saw any.
4. Simon, Chumley and Nigel. Ellitest carnts that try and put there bikes in the same side of the pit tent so look like a Ducati Work Team ... carnts.
5. Tug. On his 5th Gixer .. oww, fark, hang on .. 3rd gixer .. and still looking like a heathrow traffic controller when he gets off his bike...carnt
6. FlymoJoe ... nothing worse than a quiet carnt....

If your all looking for balance ... look at:

1. BC. Even allowed to take his kids out of school to afford new bikes ...
2. Slasha. Brings the demon spawn and his wife come brolliebabe to the races ...
3. Me. A farkin legend, and no doubting that conclusion. Just call me Mr Balanced.

..................... actually ..... I think I just might have weakened my point ?? ..

Now then,
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 09:33 PM

whatzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......?

Quote:
“Does racing improve the breed.”

So then …. how does this relate to my point of discussion…..which for those with short attention spans (wake up Mojo ya carnt) …it was “Does racing improve the breed”.

Hey CANT!..I slept lousy the night before. Woke up at 0600hrs and had to prepare the machine for the 2 days at PG. Got to Joe's and damn cylinders were missing a beat. Plugs were just changed late Friday night. Mis-farkin-firin' all the way back home and to Joe's. Had to make quick trip to Looi's to get the problem fixed.

Finally retuned to Joe's at 1030hrs and headed out to PG. Met the rest of the boys at Esso after link, and saw the rest of the riders at PG.

Body was giving up before end of evening, and had to get some ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzs.

Mind was shut down way before seeing you at dinner yer CANT!..
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Re: whatzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......?

Quote:
Originally posted by m0j0
Hey CANT!..I slept lousy the night before. Woke up at 0600hrs and had to prepare the machine for the 2 days at PG. Got to Joe's and damn cylinders were missing a beat. Plugs were just changed late Friday night. Mis-farkin-firin' all the way back home and to Joe's. Had to make quick trip to Looi's to get the problem fixed.

Finally retuned to Joe's at 1030hrs and headed out to PG. Met the rest of the boys at Esso after link, and saw the rest of the riders at PG.

Body was giving up before end of evening, and had to get some ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzs.

Mind was shut down way before seeing you at dinner yer CANT!..
Fark I love you bro ... and for a Singaporean (at the expense of starting in internation incident) .. your English is awesome bro !
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 09:53 PM

Re: Cheers Lads.

Quote:
.....Is it all about winning, at our level. Does 'racing' at our level have to be only about winning.
I take back everything I said earlier, Ledge your sounding way too girly and poofy for me to take your side any longer. Of course it's about winning, what else is there??? (you know first of the losers and all that) Now get back out there and do whatever it takes to get faster....

I don't want to hear 'FUN' mentioned anymore.......

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Tug

I hate to say it but....

Your right for once Legend

We need to organise track days as well as race days, how about joining the committee and doing it ya poofta

I will be arranging a comittee meeting after Gong Si whatsitsname.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 11:22 PM

Legend - i'm thinking along the same lines

When I went to my first track days at Shah Alam and Sepang in May last year, I felt an incredible joy of just being out on the track. I couldn't get enough, I didn't want to come in for breaks, just stay out on the track the entire time. And once back in Singapore after a weekend on the track I couldn't wait until the next time.

This state of mind lasted a few months, probably until I had my first crash or so. After than I still enjoyed going to the track, which from that point onwards only involved taking part in races. But I didn't have that feeling of exhilaration that I hade the first few months, in fact the best feeling of the weekend probably came when it was all over and I hadn't crashed.

I suppose this happens in a lot of things you get hooked on (apart from sex), after a while the fun wears off.

I'm also worried that the racing is going to get much more serious this year, now when we are racing with the Malaysian riders. Bigger grids, riders getting more evenly matched and that perennial male problem of competitiveness.

So what is the way forward? Well, I think we need a mixture of track days and races, we should definitively not "forget" to organize track days. And whatever we do we should not forget the fun aspect of what we are doing, the cameraderie and the social aspects of the club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode