Not enough cuts says Mister Plod?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Not enough cuts says Mister Plod??

Got done yesterday (will be able to wallpaper the spare room shortly) for the Corsa's (front & rear) not having cuts running to the tyres outside edge????

Admittedly the rear has some good tear marks a couple of inches in from last time out, but Mr Piggy's problem was that there is an inch or so without any cuts. He said the actually tread depth was fine as it has to be 1.5mm which it is (and some - maybe 300-400 km's on the rear in all). He then took a couple of pics!!

Even the Pirelli spec sheet says the Supercorsa is 'optimised for use on public roads'....????

Once I'd had a go at getting off he started on about rearsets not having rubber inserts (what a dick) and the braided lines, so I just let it go.

Now suppose to replace the tyres (both), get a roadworthy and then visit the local roads neanderthals for the big tick.. or I could fight it and see what happens??

Useful advice appreciated....

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Last edited by Gixxer_Dave; 01-20-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 03:54 PM

You must be taking the piss !! .. ???

However, I still can not help but bite ....

1. In NZ the rule is 1.5 mm tread over 3/4 of the tyres width .. hence the legalisty of the Corsa tread pattern. It would appear your man believes the tread must bo on the complete width.
2. Farking rubber inserts ?? ..... ask him to name a sportbike the DOES have these as standard ..... if he mentions the 'blade tell him that is NOT a sportbike.
3. Umm ... what was his problem with braided lines ?? ..... how can this be contrary to roadworthyness ....

And finally .... are you telling us the whole picture .... or was it the 2 k wheelie you pulled past him on the motorway at 180 kph that pissed him off ??

Davo .. fight the carnt. Kill his cat. Send a message.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Tug

Braided lines ???

Whats the story with his objection on the brake lines, not allowed to improve saftey over there ?

The Supercorsa's are road legal in most countrys but dont know if its worth fighting. In the words of the Clash "I faught the law and the law won, I faught the law and the law won !"

What is the penalty so far ? Replace them and its a done deal or is there a fine ?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah you would think something that improves braking would be encouraged....

Just shits me as they as suppose to be DOT approved so where's the problem? Local law states "Every tyre must have a clearly visible tread pattern on all parts of the tyre that normally come in contact with the road and have a minimum tread depth of not less than 1.5 mm" which it has.

Damage so far is limited to a $160 fine - no demerit points and they must be replaced within 28 days, but what am I going to replace them with?? If I put on a new set of corsa's they prob. won't pass them either???

No big long wheelies this time, was actually stopped at a set of lights just into my 5km odd ride home when the tosser pulled up next to me. Maybe I'll talk with Slasher and see if he has a local contact for me??

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 04:49 PM

shite Dave

I know that in Germany for instance, you have to have any and every mod approved for insurance purposes. Something to do with variations from the original certified vehicle.

Take it up with the Pireli importer see what he says.

I'd be interested to know as well

Cheers
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Just spoke with the main man at Pirelli OZ on all this, and he says that it's all BS and the tyre is completely roadworthy. He's sending me a copy of the approp. legislation and a letter stating all that and more.

Suppose that means I'll have to take it a little further and see what happens, hardly worth the pain though really??

Killing his cat may be quicker and would def. require less effort??

Last edited by Gixxer_Dave; 01-20-2003 at 07:28 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 05:11 PM

I'm with BP on this...

Dave,

Take yr tale of woe to Pirelli and see whether there's any mileage out of them ... think you could be onto something here.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Tug

Just for good measure..

Id kill his cat too
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

You know the worst thing, the bastid was a New Zealander.... and I'm not joking Ledge he actually was a sheep shagger like you

Working on the disapearing cat act for one night later in the week....

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Latest update is.....

Looks like I'm off the hook for fine on the tyres thanks to a lot of help from the local Pirelli guys... but NOW I'm told I can't get a roadworthy certificate with removing the rearsets (pegs must flip up rather than be solid) and I also have to remove my Ti Yoshi pipe!!!! Even though everyone runs a pipe without any problems....

Am now seriously thinking I'll go out and get a bike trailer and leave the thing unregistered for track use only. What do you guys think???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode