2003 Race Licenses : Smsa & Aam - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

2003 Race Licenses : Smsa & Aam

2003 RACE LICENSES
- - - - - - - - - -

As it stands currently all of our licenses have expired.

For the coming season there will be two superbike grids run under the Malaysian Super Series. These will be for a) AAM license holders b) SMSA license holders. Because of FIM licensing issues the grids will be run seperately on the day, but obviously share the same calender.

Who is eligible for which ?
- - - - - - - -

Anyone that is a Singapore national /(passport holder) can only apply for an SMSA license.

If you hold another passport whatsoever (USA, UK, Finnish, Swedish, Australian, Indian, Chinese, Taiwanese, New Zealand, Italian etc) then you can write to your governing motorsport authority in your country of origin requesting a release letter to apply for an AAM license to race in Malaysia. This is a formality in most cases and will be granted.

We can help to provide the necessary contacts and a standard letter format to speed this process up, as long as it is all done centrally.

What are the Advantages of an AAM license.
- - - - -

The one clear advantage of holding an AAM license over the SMSA license is that AAM license holders are eligible as entrants for the support races at events like the Moto GP. I am not sure that SMSA license holders will be able to join this grid because of FIM licensing issues.

The other point to consider is that the AAM license holders in the Malaysian Super Series should be eligible for prize money in 2003. No-one will get rich, but it might help to pay your bar bill ! I await confirmation also on this point though, so don't hold me to book on this.

The AAM license also has the mandatory race insurance built in. From last years pricing, we each paid Rm 280-00.(Rm 150 Insurance, Rm 100 AAM membership, Rm 30 Club Membership). The SMSA will of course ensure that they also address this issue for 2003.

Are there any Disadvantages in holding an AAM license
- - - - -

None currently that I can think of. AAM license holders are eligible for the Johor Series and the Asia Pac series if you wish to enter.

In the event that Singapore suddenly built a circuit and hosted a championship like the MSS then we as AAM license holders would probably find ourselves being non eligible, but I don't see that happening in the forseeable future. My comments are obviously confined to Superbikes as I don't have any experience of what the SMSA provide for Moto X. If you ride and compete in both Superbikes and Moto X then maybe a little more research is necessary

Who's doing what & with whom ?
- - - - -

Remember that in 2003 Sepang wish to encourage everyone to look at the MSS as a successful formula for those who wish to race. They will encourage entrants from everyone out there in the Sportsbike community whether SBR members or not.

Those with a choice can elect for themselves which license they wish to hold. The general consensus seems to be that those eligible to hold an AAM license will apply for it and I think that this will cover the vast majority of the "ang-mohs" amongst us. However, it is envisaged that there will be a strong Singaporean contingent who also want to race and this is why great efforts have been made to ensure that SMSA license holders are also properly catered for.

Co-ordination
- - - - - -

We will help to co-ordinate AAM licenses as we did last year. In order to do this en bloc I need to know following details

- Names
- Nationality (Passport)
- DOB.

Once we have all of these compiled we will then apply en bloc for the appropriate release letters and again arrange for a group medical at an appropriate venue (wanna do a Molly's night again??!!!).

For those of you that have yr 2002 AAM licenses & Medical Cards, it would be very helpfull to have these returned as this will speed up the process.

By the same token, I am sure that we can find a volunteer to co-ordinate for the Singaporean contingent, but this is altogether less complicated.

We should start to think about getting on with the license applications in the coming weeks to ensure that we leave enough time to co-ordinate this ahead of the first race in April. Based on the success of last year I hope that everyone gets behind this and that we have a good turnout in both categories.

We're on hand to answer any questions.

Cheers
GCW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:01 PM

Very helpful

I'm up for AAM again. But I thought the first race was next month - see attached calender first posted by Tug.

1-4 The Road
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Tug

Ooops

Sorry that file is out of date, it shows that the Superbikes are still on and thats ancient history.
Here is the latest version.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Already have some info

I already have info needed to request the release from the Uk for the following:

- Slasher, Tug, Mono 7, Dick D, Flymo, Legend, Max, English Bob, 1-4 The Road, Simon, Boycie ......

Anyone else holding a Uk passport send me yr details (Name, DOB, PP Number) and I'll get the release done for you.

I'm not going to do anything for now until we know who's coming through so don't panic !
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 04:02 PM

AAM licences lah?

This is a really old thread that I managed to dig out.

What is the story with the licencing? The first race is coming up in a 2-3 of weeks time, we better get the licences sorted before then...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Cool Yer Boots

I'm on the case but we are in the midst of a bit of a political wrangle.

Not sure what the outcome will be as this is being handled now by the FIM.

Stay tuned and will update as soon as I have news.

GCW
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

To the very best of my intricate knowledge....

I am speaking with the ACU, FIM and the AAM for final clarifications from a legal perspective on exactly what sort of license we as expatriates abroad are entitled to hold.

On a purely legal standpoint we are at liberty to seek a license of our choice provided that this is supported with the requisite release form from the governing motorsport body in our country of origin. The ACU support this.

Please be patient whilst we work out final details but I am very optimistic that we will resolve the last remaining issues and be in good time to take to the grid for Round One of the Malaysian Super Series.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 06:46 PM

BC,

I didn't mean to imply that you are not doing your best getting the licenses sorted out, I was just interested to see where we are currently standing.

Thanks for all the work!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Smile No Sweat Carl

No offence taken.

Actually I've kept it all a bit quiet whilst I got a legal fix on our situation in case there proved to be opposition an any attempt to block our applications.

Given that this is now cleared by the FIM legal beagles, I can see no reason why this should be the case.

Last delay now, I hope, is clearing the Formula One boys out of town, before we can get ourselves finally sorted out.

I'll report back in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode