Suspension settings for a 400cc - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Smile Suspension settings for a 400cc

Would really appreciate all the advice I can get....

Firstly, my 400 fireblade is bouncing around all over the place...getting really difficult to ride....worse when I have a pillion...anything I can do about it? The class 2 bikes are mostly fully adjustable from what I know...but i am not sure about the 400s...

Is it that my suspension is spoilt(my bike is a 1994 make) or can i just get it set up? I felt it too when I was at PG the last time and I was not even riding hard.... I feel that it is getting to be pretty dangerous now....

I know that I should just get me self a new bike and all but don't have the money to do so...I have to settle for this now.... might as well get it right for commuter riding and some track days...

Thks guys...

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:37 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
sounds like you need the shock serviced. they lose their charge. i'm not familar with the 400rr, but the f2 from 94 was known for doing it. i'm guessing the shock is probably the same as the f2 or the 900rr, with a different spring.

also, if your 400rr is anything like the front-end of my fzr400, it needs fork springs. the stock ones keep the wheel off the triples, that's about it.

i don't know who makes springs for your bike, they aren't common state-side and were NEVER officially imported. sorry.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:29 PM

WTF ?????

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FZR400Tony
When a little kid asks me why is it raining, I think a cute thing to say is, "because God's crying." And when that little kid asks me why is God crying, I think a cute thing to say is, "probably because of something you've done."
QUOTE]

Um ... what ... what ... what ?????

Anyway ... before we get WAY of topic .....

Yup, one of the newbie moments that I was VERY recently faced with is the fact that bikes need servicing .... often ...particulary if you intend to do ANYTHING on them that will put your life at risk ... which basically means riding them ... but at 240 kph plus braking to 60 kph plus down a funnelling track ....it becomes especially apparent ...

So then, track days ...... EVEN if you don't think it makes a difference after your done stuff ... you can guarantee you will be thinking about it when you are riding if you don't ... which is NOT good.

Also ... you are out on a track with other riders .... who are on their piece of joy ..... and having a bike that is not in fit shape increases the chances you stuff up there day as well ....

So ... pre pubesent teen (aka wolverine) .... Big Phil aka The Knowledge .. will be able to give you better facts, but if your 400 has done more than 20,000 k's the shock is farked, if it's more than 2 years old ... it's farked .... and even on new kit like the R1 and the GSXR 1000 ..... you will note a lot of people junk them before they even hit the track ... cause even when new ... then think they are farked ....

So ... waste no more time on daft ideas about setting up a shock that has done 50,000k's and is now 8 years old ... you cant ... and if the price of an Ohlins is extreame (it will be) ... start investigating if local firms rebuild shocks ..... and at the very least have the springs and oil in your forks changed at the same time.

You owe me $10 bro

Last edited by Legend; 11-12-2002 at 04:42 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 05:58 PM

Have a good look at the forks and shock for anything that looks even vaguely like it'll turn, turn it clockwise!!!!!

For once Ledge I think you've actually provided some helpful advice on this one - good job

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 04:33 PM

If you want me to take a look

No problem

We should arrange a time and place.

Ohlins is the way to go but so damn expensive.
Lets have a look at wht you've got first.

Do a web search for suspension set up advice. Theres loads out there!!
Static sag is the first step and makes a shit load of difference.
Time and patience bring great results but your gear has to be in good working order first.

Let me know

Cheers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thks a bunch

BigPhil...thanks a bunch.... will contact you soon about the suspension...will do some research about it first and then will let you know of a time and place....

Thanks alot again mate.

Cheers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 07:44 AM

the stock unit is ****ed the moment they roll it out fo the factory.

My mates throw in a CBR600F3 unit, its a perfect fit, and its ajustable...not much at least it does help.

As for the fork...hmmm Which model is your? N or RR?

U'll have more luck with the catridge fork. I tried all kinda set up for the dampign rod ones...end of the day..they still lacks rebound damping...seriously need to get an emulator for it, with the specs on how much to drill for the rebound valve..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode