Technical Report Part One: The 'Factory Mod' 2003 R1's - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Technical Report Part One: The 'Factory Mod' 2003 R1's

Tech Director here. For my first instalment I will be reporting some excellent news I discovered recently .... about my very own R1 of all things ....

Recently I was giving it a good clean, which I have been a bit lax on since picking her up ... and what do I find ... no lacquer over any of the decals ….. so, off to Harry’s to get it sorted …

Turns out, according to Harry, that my bike is one of about 100 that were specially prepped by the ‘factory’, and while still road bikes, these were give a few extra tweaks and fiddles to ensure the right impression was given to the road and track test mags …. They were also the bikes ‘requested’ by teams that intended to race the bikes.

The list of tweaks has been a bit hard to determine, obviously Yamaha are a bit tight lipped about all this … but so far I have managed to determine the following mods:

1. No lacquer, extra thin pain job so save weight
2. Factory polishing of head, and stage one porting of inlet and exhaust ports
3. Factory head gasket to increase compression ratio by a full point
4. Gears 3 through to 6 are straight cut with reduced ratio synchromesh
5. Altered Fuel Mapping from 5,000rpm to red line, with a more aggressive mode for the EXUP valve.
6. Magnesium sub frame
7. Extruded wheel spindles, as apposed to cast, for weight and strength
8. Stage one shock revalving, with modified springs for the forks, using technology from Yamaha’s own in-house Suspension division … yup, my shock and forks are basically Ohlins spec.

Lads, I am extremely happy. Red Penis (formerly Yellow Peril until he gets himself another more appropriate name), you should be happy too. This will explain why my bike was able to keep up even though I was still taking it easy and running it in.

Now, it goes without saying that this has all come as a big surprise, and while not unwanted ….. it is still not really needed. I am not a track god after all … so lads, your in luck. I will consider a straight swap with a ‘normal’ R1 of similar miles, and $10,000 cash.

Cheers.

Last edited by Legend; 11-11-2002 at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Lovely

Lovely
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: Technical Report Part One: The 'Factory Mod' 2003 R1's

This Harry isn't by any chance a used car salesman is he????

Must admit it looks the goods Ledge, nice mate nice

Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 10:46 PM

Alrighty then!

Oy there!

Where is the "Challenge" ???
Was that the non- lacquered part?

Bullet
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of many—and solution to—all life's problems.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

nah mate ...

no 'challange' in this pic .....

and in reply ... all the 'original' decals i.e Yamaha, R1 etc etc are all just stuck on ..... although the 'warning' stickers regarding the octane level is lacquared on ??? ....

daft inut ..... I noticed this was not the case on a few others I've spotted ...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 12:21 PM

On my R1 not even the safety decals had laquer on them?

So what does these mods do to the weight and power of the bike?

BTW, are you sure Harry (aka Arthur Daly?) isn't pulling your leg?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Tug

Smile Village idiot duped by horse trader

Sounds like a load of bull to me, most jap bikes dont have laquer on any of the stickers. The idea that "Harry the Month" gave you a special without charging you or even bothering to tell you when you were negotiating the deal sounds far fetched to say the least. Chuck the nail on the dyno and see if it makes any more power than any other limp wristed R1 and then I might believe you.

Magnesium sub frame ? Ohlins speck shock ? all for free ? I prefer you better when your pissed and blubing like a baby

Gotta say it looks nice for a girls bike
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Ah yes..... right ....

YP .... on some of the bikes I've seen, the safety stickers are not lacquered over .. so they can be removed ... but the others should be laquered over ??

If not .... then you to have one of the rare 'factory race' models ... lucky bugga ....

Hey, that could explain the off .... the extra 17 hp over stock would have made it particularly had to get used to the R after the CBR ...

You still travelling ??
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 04:59 PM

Something meant for the X files

Oi,..Legend baby,..(due to your pre-adolescence innocence)..

A possible scenario is either your fuel tank and parts were nicked before you bought the bike,..and Doctor Evil had someone salvage these parts from a crashed bike and have them painted,...but did not laquer the decals/stickers as he had problems acquiring them from Yamaha.

Or your bike was a Christmas Tree, to have them rob parts to replace crashed damage parts or nicked parts. And they bought replacement parts from the OEM,.but color was different or parts were damaged shipment,.and so had to repaint it again.

Remember,...we know all things are possible, whether you choose to believe it or not,..that's another story.

Another thing,..REMEMBER..nothing comes FREE,.espc...from our subject personality.

So please stop kidding yerself,....to go fast,..all you need to do is twist yer wrist further.

Sorry I spoilt yer day....DM.

Last edited by m0j0; 11-12-2002 at 05:05 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 09:51 PM

Everyones Pissing on your strawberries!

Legend

Joe was whittering on about his 03 being a dealer bike with a few mods. It is possible that the bought a bunch of them in, but why?

Can't help but think its a bit fraudulant to let a punter tryout a bike with all the goodies and then sell him a cast lead subframed one, with lego shocks and armoured paint!

No point porting unless they got rid of half the emmision control catalytic crap in the exhaust. The hicup valve ony really works up to 5k anyhow. Its there for low/mid end grunt .At red line or approaching it should be gaping wide open like the hole in your wallet.

If your struggling with fraudulant Legend, its like when you get drunk and tell everyone you've got a big willy but when the moment of truth arises the wife complains to the advertising standards authority.

My stickers weren't laquered either and I am afraid i bought the 'Darth Vader Battle Bus Golf Cart Excursion Version' with Princess Lear gas flow vanity bungs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode