Technical Report Part One: The 'Factory Mod' 2003 R1's
Tech Director here. For my first instalment I will be reporting some excellent news I discovered recently .... about my very own R1 of all things ....
Recently I was giving it a good clean, which I have been a bit lax on since picking her up ... and what do I find ... no lacquer over any of the decals ….. so, off to Harry’s to get it sorted …
Turns out, according to Harry, that my bike is one of about 100 that were specially prepped by the ‘factory’, and while still road bikes, these were give a few extra tweaks and fiddles to ensure the right impression was given to the road and track test mags …. They were also the bikes ‘requested’ by teams that intended to race the bikes.
The list of tweaks has been a bit hard to determine, obviously Yamaha are a bit tight lipped about all this … but so far I have managed to determine the following mods:
1. No lacquer, extra thin pain job so save weight
2. Factory polishing of head, and stage one porting of inlet and exhaust ports
3. Factory head gasket to increase compression ratio by a full point
4. Gears 3 through to 6 are straight cut with reduced ratio synchromesh
5. Altered Fuel Mapping from 5,000rpm to red line, with a more aggressive mode for the EXUP valve.
6. Magnesium sub frame
7. Extruded wheel spindles, as apposed to cast, for weight and strength
8. Stage one shock revalving, with modified springs for the forks, using technology from Yamaha’s own in-house Suspension division … yup, my shock and forks are basically Ohlins spec.
Lads, I am extremely happy. Red Penis (formerly Yellow Peril until he gets himself another more appropriate name), you should be happy too. This will explain why my bike was able to keep up even though I was still taking it easy and running it in.
Now, it goes without saying that this has all come as a big surprise, and while not unwanted ….. it is still not really needed. I am not a track god after all … so lads, your in luck. I will consider a straight swap with a ‘normal’ R1 of similar miles, and $10,000 cash.
Last edited by Legend; 11-11-2002 at 08:45 PM.